ACF Fall 2018 @ University of Illinois - HS Mirror (11/3/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

ACF Fall 2018 @ University of Illinois - HS Mirror (11/3/18)

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I am pleased to announce a High School site of ACF Fall 2018, to be held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on Saturday, November 3rd, 2018. UIUC is also hosting a college site of ACF Fall on this date; these tournaments are separate.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to me at [email protected] with your school's name, number of teams you're intending to bring, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form with all the relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $135
Buzzer: -$5/functional system
Staffers: -$10/staffer
Shorthanded fee (teams of 1 or 2 players): $60

Teams that can not afford the entry fee are encouraged to contact TD Brad Fischer.

Packets
High school teams do not write packets for ACF Fall.

Note Regarding High School Teams
High school teams are no longer allowed to compete in collegiate ACF Fall events, hence the existence of high school-only sites like ours. In addition to Illinois schools, we welcome high schools from outside of Illinois to attend our event! Colleges interested in playing ACF Fall 2018 at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are encouraged to check out the post for that tournament.

For more information, consult the global announcement or email the editors at [email protected].
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: ACF Fall 2018 @ University of Illinois - HS Mirror (11/3/18)

Field updates (based on who's filled out the ACF registration form) are visible here. We've still got room for more teams, are still looking for moderators, and still excited for a great tournament!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

We're at 23 teams and I'm going to cap the field at 24, for scheduling and staff reasons. We'll set up a waitlist as necessary. If you're interested in playing, please let me know ASAP!

If you're interested in moderating, please contact me and/or Brad McLain; we're noting HS/college preferences and can always use more help in either side.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

The field is capped, and any further registrations will be placed on a waitlist. An informational e-mail will go out to all coaches and moderators, and be posted here, on Sunday night.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

Stats through lunch (and also live) can be found here: bit.ly/2018ACFUIUC
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

On behalf of the Academic Buzzer Team at the University of Illinois and the editing crew of ACF Fall, I'd like to thank everyone for an amazing tournament on Saturday! Congratulations to DCC A on their undefeated victory, having cleared the field by two games over Auburn and Urbana Uni. This marks DCC's second consecutive ACF Fall title and third overall since we started hosting the dedicated HS site six years ago. Following Round 11, Urbana Uni defeated Auburn, led by overall top scorer Ethan Strombeck, in a playoff match to claim second place. In addition, congratulations to the top six teams for qualifying for PACE NSC!

Full stats are available here! If you notice any errors, please let me know and I'll get them sorted out. Shortly thereafter, we'll use Bryan Lu's SQBS parser to convert the stats from Neg5 to SQBS form so they can be posted to the HSQuizbowl database; thank you to Bryan for his awesome work!

If you still need to pay for the tournament, we'll get in touch with you later this week; we got checks from most teams, and some are surely still on their way through the mail, so no real worries there. If you need a receipt for payment, let me know.

I'd like to specifically thank all of the volunteer staff who made this tournament possible. Mike Etzkorn, Nathan Fredman, Bryan Lu, Peyton Pielet, Alexander Rushing, Jeremiah Thompson, Koby Theobald, and Luke Wigtil joined us despite a beautiful November Saturday in central Illinois taking place just outside, and Linda Greene, Matt Hasquin, Erin Limestall, Michael Sacks, John Snyder, Mike Sorice, and Kristin Strey did the same while also stepping away from their teams to help.

I also want to thank all the staffers at the college tournament - including Alston Boyd, Billy Busse, Connie Prater, Kai Smith, Jason Asher, Mahria Baker, Niki Peters, Ryan Rosenberg, Stan Jastrzebski, and Tejas Raje at the very least; my apologies if more people helped staff, I'm going off my notes from earlier this week - because every one of you who staffed the college side allowed another UIUC staffer to help us out on the high school side.

I'd like to thank the ACF Fall editing team - Nathan Weiser, Adam Silverman, Rahul Keyal, Olivia Lamberti, Young Fenimore Lee, Ashwin Ramaswami, Nitin Rao, and Neil Vinjamuri - for an outstanding set of questions. There's a forums thread for discussion of the set; you can also submit feedback to the editing crew directly by e-mailing [email protected]. If you have any feedback on the tournament unrelated to the questions, please send it my way!

I want to extend my extreme gratitude to Brad McLain for his tireless work on both the college tournament and coordinating things for our site, and to Tyler Vaughan for running our stats room and directing everything during the tournament itself, in addition to putting up with me being catatonic on the drive back north. It was an honor to work with you, and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon - and, hopefully, in Champaign again for ACF Fall 2019. :)

Most of all, I want to thank all the players and coaches for your boundless enthusiasm. A tournament isn't successful just because it runs at a quick pace or doesn't have game-ruining protests; a tournament is successful when you see players in every pool smiling from ear to ear about the great buzz they had, the awesome things they learned, and the cool new people they met. Your happiness is infectious, and I can't fully express what it means to me to have been a part of it. It had been something like 8 months since I'd last moderated a tournament, and that time was incredibly hard for me on a number of levels. I've been looking forward to ACF Fall for weeks, and I could feel a weight lifting off my shoulders as the tournament progressed. I cannot thank you enough.

Until next time,
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Full stats have been uploaded to the database here. Thanks again to Bryan Lu for the SQBS parser!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)