TWAIN XII at UCLA, October 2nd, 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golran
Auron

TWAIN XII at UCLA, October 2nd, 2011

Post by Golran »

The UCLA College Bowl Club is pleased to announce it will be hosting TWAIN XII on an NAQT IS set, TBA.

DATE: Sunday, October 2nd, 2011

PARKING: Parking is $11 at various lots throughout the UCLA campus.

VENUE: TBD on UCLA's campus

SCHEDULE:
8:00 A.M. – 8:30 A.M.: Registration Period (All teams must be accounted for by 8:30 A.M. PST)
8:30 A.M. – 9:00 A.M.: Rules Meeting / Moderator Meeting
9:00 A.M.: Tournament Play
Around 1:00 P.M.: Lunch
2:00 P.M.: Afternoon Play -> Playoffs

FOOD:
Breakfast: TBA - Likely will be just juice, maybe some mini muffins.

Lunch: Lunch is available on-campus. Hours of Operation vary for each dining option, but Ackerman Union is definitely open during the weekend.

ELIGIBILITY: All high school teams are eligible.

FORMAT: Twenty tossup-bonus cycles, with negs and powers from an NAQT IS set.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $80 per team
Discounts:
-$5 for a fully-functional buzzer system (Must have four working buzzers on both sides)
-$20 New School Discount (must not have played in any pyramidal tournament as a school since September 1, 2009)
-$10 for a moderator or staff member (The TD has the right to accept or reject the moderator and also reserves the right to withdraw the discount retroactive to payment.)

Additionally, we will offer paper copies of the questions on the day of the tournament for $10, while we will also be able to mail questions to teams in attendance at a later date for $15.

The field will be capped at 16 teams unless there is excessive demand complimented by excessive resources. In order to ensure a smooth tournament we will not expand the field until we have enough staff known.

WARNING! If you cannot have payment by tournament date, please contact the TD with at least 24 hours notice. If you arrive without warning of delinquent payment to tournament, we will assess a $50 penalty to be paid immediately in addition to the regular payment, which must be received by us within ten business days.

Checks should be made out to "College Bowl Club of UCLA". Please do NOT change this wording. For reasons of financial security, if possible, please bring the check to the tournament rather than mailing it in advance.

The TD for this tournament is Mik Larsen. The current registration deadline is Monday September 26th at 5 PM.

If you are planning to come, please e-mail mlarsen(at)ucla(dot)edu with:
1) Your school's name
2) Coach (or adult representative) name and e-mail address
3) The number of teams you are bringing
4) The number of buzzer systems and any other discounts you wish to validate

If you have any questions, please e-mail us.

We will keep you updated with more news as the tournament date approaches.
We hope to see you TWAIN on Sun., October 2nd, 2011

Thank You!

Ian Drayer
Last edited by Golran on Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: TWAIN XII at UCLA, October 1st, 2011

Post by rylltraka »

Bumping since the tournament date is now in the not-so-distant future. We are contemplating possible changes in the date, so stay tuned.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

This doesn't apply to me, but I think pretty much all of our junior-year members are taking the SAT that day so they'd prefer a date change. Also, small copy-paste typo: it says 2010.
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
davud363000
Lulu

Post by davud363000 »

Coldblueberry wrote:I think pretty much all of our junior-year members are taking the SAT that day so they'd prefer a date change.
I second Justin's suggestion, I think there would be a better turnout if this tournament could be moved back a week
David Hu
Rancho Bernardo HS '12
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I agree with this post when it comes to conflicts like this.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Balboa
Lulu

Post by Balboa »

Arcadia would prefer an Oct. 8 date for TWAIN as well.

I agree with some of the points in that thread too. And we've definitely dealt with tournaments on test dates before. But the fact is that the fall standardized testing dates are even more of a problem due to seniors that may be at the core of many schools' teams having to get test scores in for college applications.

I have already told the TD's for TWAIN and UCSD Fall Novice this, but by my reasoning a date switch between TWAIN and Fall Novice would be beneficial for everyone involved. Fall Novice would feel less of a detrimental effect in attendance due to being on an SAT day than TWAIN would, since it is likely that many more of the players at Fall Novice will be underclassmen for whom SAT's are not as pressing of a concern.

We're not pressuring the TD's to do anything. We're just letting them know of our preferences and our projections of the attendance from our schools for each date, and they can make whatever they decision they feel is the best.
Andrew Wang
Arcadia High School '12
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

We're not likely to change our tournament date. We have already done a significant amount of outreach for it that is finally starting to pay off, and we don't want to lose any more of those teams than we already lose naturally due to drops later on.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Everyone has date conflicts. So you miss one quizbowl tournament. It happens. It's not like you live in an area where you have 3 tournaments all year. In time, the field size hits spread out across tournament hosts.

Of course, the other option UCLA has is to flip College Novice and TWAIN and have the college tournament on the 1st and the high school tournament on the 2nd.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

As this tournament is now two weeks away, Arcadia would like to know if the TD(s) have given any thought to Dwight's suggestion about switching the dates for TWAIN and Early Autumn
Novice.

EDIT:

Never mind what I said, my team got the notification email (from the Google user group) about the date change. Much obliged!
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

As Carl indicates, we have switched this tournament date to the 2nd. Original post will be updated to reflect this.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: TWAIN XII at UCLA, October 2nd, 2011

Post by rylltraka »

This is the present field update (at least for teams that have contacted me):

Torrey Pines - 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Rancho Bernardo - 3 teams, 2 buzzers
Irvine - 1 team, 1 buzzer
Arcadia - 6 teams, 1 buzzer
Westview - 1 team
Santa Monica - 3 teams

Presumably to be updated in the future.

-Mik Larsen
TD
Last edited by rylltraka on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
IrvineQuizBowl
Kimahri

Post by IrvineQuizBowl »

Hello this is the Irvine Quiz Bowl Team, and we have changed our e-mail to [email protected] in order to prevent confusion. Could someone please kindly forward the originals regarding Irvine High to this e-mail? Thanks.

User was reminded to enable a proper signature.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine '13
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

The field's currently at 16 teams, will the cap be raised or will it stay?
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I'm not sure what you mean - we're at our cap of 16 teams, and I'll make any decisions on whether it holds if any additional teams make their interest known.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Erogo
Lulu

Post by Erogo »

I simply wanted to know if UCLA had any plans to expand the field (not that Arcadia is interested in sending any more teams).

But thanks, my question's been answered.
Carl T.
Arcadia High School 2012
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Here is a version of the final update, as recently sent by email:

This is the final major update for TWAIN, to be held Sunday, Oct. 2nd.

Teams should check in in front of Bunche Hall (http://maps.ucla.edu/) from 8:30-8:45 Sunday morning. Parking Structures 3 and/or 5 are your best bet; be careful, as the date may affect availability of access. If you are going to be late (which always seems to happen to at least one team), please contact me at #310-866-1057.

Our current field update is so:
Torrey Pines - 2 teams, 2 buzzers
Rancho Bernardo - 3 teams, 2 buzzers
Irvine - 1 team, 1 buzzer
Arcadia - 6 teams, 1 buzzer
Westview - 1 team
Santa Monica - 3 teams

Please let me know IMMEDIATELY if there are any changes to this list - our hard cap meant that late-registering teams were excluded from attending, so this point is fairly serious. Also, please remember to bring your buzzers - UCLA's stock thereof has dwindled, and no one wants to play slapbowl.

Our staff for this tournament is also fairly limited, so if any coaches/wellwishers are interested in helping out (moderating, even, in case of emergency), please let me know - there will be a discount for such.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions, and we'll see you on Sunday.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

TWAIN XII: In the Lime of Fire was held, moderately successfully. The championship bracket resulted in a tie for first at 9-1 between Arcadia A and Arcadia B, who decided to call the finals in favor of Arcadia A because of their PPB advantage.

Thanks to all the teams who showed up and endured our minor logistical issues, and also to our talented staff, especially Ian Drayer, Avram Lyon, and Jeff Buenaflor for going above the expected requirements of duty.

Stats are available at http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/stats/inde ... =twain2011.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14