Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/22/2011)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/22/2011)

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Hello Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our fourth annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 22th, 2011. This is the first varsity invitational tournament of the year, and we hope you will consider our event as a season kickoff for your team. In our past three years, we have had the incredible fortune to be able to attract many of the very best teams in the state from both major cities and all places in between, so we hope to be able to offer you another chance to play many of this year’s most competitive teams.

We will be using an Invitational Series set written by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, and we will use the same game format as last year (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have -5 point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 5 points for a correct early buzz).

Our tournament has been certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at moqba.org.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 18 teams, although if there is demand and space we will consider expansion of the field. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. Also, if we fill the field, then the top 3 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2012 NAQT High School National Championship. Additionally, the top teams will qualify for the 2012 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $70
Additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discount: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email me at [email protected] with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions.

Don't hesitate to respond early! We will work with you every step of the way, allay your concerns, and answer any questions you may have.

Also, be sure to look out for our other tournaments on December 3rd, and on February 11th. Our campus will also be hosting the Missouri NAQT Qualifier tournament on March 5th. We also recommend you look into attending other MOQBA events, which can be found on our website at http://moqba.org/calendar/.

We hope to see you in Columbia on October 22th to kick off the new quizbowl season!

Charles Dees
Tournament Director

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Re: Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/22/2011)

Field (32 teams):

Clayton (2 teams)
Columbia Independent School
Dixon (2 teams)*
Hallsville*
Hannibal
Jefferson City
Kickapoo (2 teams)
Ladue Horton Watkins (5 teams)
Liberty
Lutheran-St. Charles
North Kansas City
Parkway West (2 teams)
Pilot Grove*
Raytown South
Rock Bridge (4 teams)
Saint James Academy (Lenexa, KS)
Thomas Jefferson Independent Day School
Tuscumbia* (2 teams)
Villa Duchesne
Wichita East (Wichita, KS)

* indicates a team who is eligible for the small school bid to nationals.
Last edited by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) on Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 15 times in total.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Look at that Kansas team, everybody.

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Either the Kansas team doesn't count in the field or you can't do math or (edit) you forgot to update the number.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14

Yeah I forgot to change the number.

Only 2 spots left!

One spot!

I'm expanding the field to 21 teams. We have 19 teams already!

And we got 2 teams from Clayton, so we are back to full. If there is continued demand, we will look into ways to attract more staffers so we can hopefully expand at least up to 24, and we always have some drops, so if more teams want to attend, you should definitely email us and we can put you on our waitlist.

We've expanded the field to 24 teams.

We've expanded to 28 teams.

We're up to 32 teams now. This is our largest field yet!

Congratulations to Ladue! Their program put on quite a dominating performance to start off the year, having their 3-man A-team go undefeated through 13 rounds to win their 3rd consecutive title at the Missouri Fall Academic Tournament. Their B team placed 2nd, losing only to their A-team twice, Rock Bridge A placed 3rd after losing a tiebreaker tossup to Ladue B, and Parkway West A placed 4th. Teams that did not make the superplayoff rounds but rounded out the playoffs were Ladue C and Liberty, who tied for 5th and got bids to NAQT Nationals, and North Kansas City and Clayton A. All playoff teams got platinum bids to PACE Nationals! Pilot Grove was awarded the small school title, which meant they also are awarded a bid to NAQT nationals.

I want to thank the staff that came out and made this event possible. Especially big thanks go out to Jeff Hill, who did all kinds of help wherever he was needed, and also to Tuscumbia and Parkway West for providing staff. As usual, the local college teams from Wash U, Rolla, and Truman State, along with assorted independent staffers are also huge helps and I can't thank them enough. I am really happy with how well this event went, especially because I am so happy we made a lot of improvements on Tiger Bowl, our last attempt to run an event this size (that one was even smaller). I again want to thank all the teams that made this event a success, and look forward to seeing everybody at future MU events.

ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!