BELLISARIUS (November 19th, 2011)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

BELLISARIUS (November 19th, 2011)

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

We are pleased to announce that BELLarmine's Ingenious, Swaggerific Attempt to Run an Invitational Urkel Style (BELLISARIUS) will be held on November 19th on the Bellarmine campus. It will be using the 2011 Fall Novice Tournament set written by many experienced high school and college players around the country. The format will be 20 pyramidal tossups followed by three-part bonuses. There are negs but there are no powers. We are planning to run the tournament from approximately 9 AM to 5 PM. Cool book prizes will be furnished for top individual scorers and a dreadful one for the top negger.

Eligibility Requirements
Players who have attended more than two national quizbowl tournaments or made playoffs in the past two years will be ineligible to compete in this tournament. The Questions Unlimited NAC, the National History Bee and Bowl, National Science Bowl, local televised formats, Jeopardy, and Academic Decathlon do not fall under this restriction. As the Northern California quizbowl circuit is still very much in its infancy, this rule is intended to include as many schools as possible while still excluding the members of teams that placed highly at national tournaments last year. In certain cases, exceptions will be made as long as it is obvious that the player in question would benefit from playing a novice tournament.

Fee Structure
We hope to present a greatly reduced fee structure to new teams to encourage them to play this tournament and further the general growth of quizbowl in Northern California. The fee structure is as follows:
- A single team pays a fee of $25.
- A $10 discount will be provided per buzzer system contributed (up to 2).
- A $5 discount will be given for each staffer provided.
- Additional teams from the same school will pay $15.
- Middle school programs will receive an additional discount of $10 from their total fee.
- Programs that are new to quizbowl (have not played a quizbowl tournament in the past five years, as defined previously) will receive a $15 discount per team. [This rule is designed specifically to encourage new programs to bring multiple teams.]
- A team that is from a program that has participated in tournaments before, but contains more than two players who have never played a quizbowl tournament, will receive a discount of $5.
The minimum fee (after all discounts are applied) will be $0, as we do not have sufficient funds to pay people to come to this tournament.

Confirmed Field:

Tournament Structure:
We expect to use a multiple bracket round robin prelim and playoff with consolation rounds if enough teams/staffers are available. If not enough teams show up, we’ll use a single bracket round robin with consolation rounds during the playoffs.

We warmly invite teams to attend who do not normally participate in quiz bowl tournaments outside of Quiz Kids.

To register, please email Chris Fleitas (cfleitas AT bcp DOT org) by Friday, November 11th with the following information:
School Name
Number of Teams
Will you be providing a buzzer?
Will you be providing a reader/scorekeeper?

Registered teams will be provided with more detailed information regarding parking, campus layout, etc. Please feel free to contact Mr. Fleitas if you have any questions about the tournament.
We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks,
Ankit Aggarwal
Last edited by i never see pigeons in wheeling on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: BELLISARIUS

Post by Important Bird Area »

Volunteering to moderate, and contemplating clever methods of producing a Cal Classic subtitle that spells out "NARSES."
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Rikku

The 19th is the confirmed date.
Last edited by i never see pigeons in wheeling on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankit
Cal '16
Rikku

Link to the tournament database: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/73/
Ankit
Cal '16
nadph
Rikku

Re: BELLISARIUS (November 19th, 2011)

Post by nadph »

Field updates (as of 11/16):

Confirmed:
Bellarmine (house; 3 teams, 2+ buzzers, many staffers)
Notre Dame, San Jose (4 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers)
Escobar (1 teams, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer)
Los Gatos (1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers)
Concord (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer)
Mills (1 teams, 1 buzzers, 0 staffers)
Crystal Springs (1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers)
Harker (2 teams, 3 buzzers, 0 staffers)
South San Francisco (1 team, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer)
Menlo-Atherton (1 team, 1 buzzers, 1 staffer)
Last edited by nadph on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nikhil Desai
Bellarmine College Prep '12
Stanford '18 (leave of absence 2016-17)
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Field updated as of 11/12. One week remains until the tournament! We will be freezing the field on Tuesday to give us time to work out any staffing confusions, so please, everyone who has expressed interest, send an official confirmation email to cfleitas [NOSPAM] [AT] bcp [DOT] org!
Nikhil Desai
Rikku

Anyone still wanting to come to this tournament really needs to email cfleitas [NOSPAM] [AT] bcp [DOT] org
Ankit
Cal '16
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

I count sixteen teams, and it is Wednesday, so the field is now frozen barring any unexpected calamities. We'll provide more info about tournament buildings, parking, and the like soon. We hope to see you at the tournament!
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Unfortunately, two of registered teams have had last-minute student drops and had to back out of the tournament, so we now have fourteen teams. More schedule and tournament format information below.
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Our coach has sent the following out via email to representatives of all attending teams.
Registration and rules @ 9 am; rounds begin @ 9:30 am.

Location: O’Donnell Hall, 960 W. Hedding St, San Jose, CA 95126. (Bldg 2 here.)
Please be sure to park in the guest parking lot; street parking is prohibited/ticketed.

Structure: We’ll start with two seeded brackets of 7 playing 6-game round robins. Since there are seven teams in each bracket, rather than having byes we will give teams the opportunity to play cross-bracket matches between a team in the other bracket judged to be of similar strength (determined by pre-tournament seeding); this match will count as a scrimmage and will not be factored into prelim stats. We’ll then split into three brackets: one winners' bracket of six and two consolation brackets of four each. Three more games are guaranteed to teams in each bracket. If necessary, we’ll play an advantaged final. We expect to be finished around 5:30 pm, although teams in the winners' bracket may run later because of extra matches.

If you’ve told us you’re bringing buzzers/mods, please be sure to bring them; we are in the position of having just enough for the tournament, but not to spare. Please remember to bring your fee as well!

Please email me at cfleitas [NOSPAM] [AT] bcp [DOT] org or chris [DOT] fleitas [NOSPAM] [AT] gmail [DOT] com with rosters ahead of time, which will make registration flow smoothly. It’s easier to make changes at the tournament than start from scratch.

Also, we’d recommend bringing your own lunches; there are places to eat within short driving distance, but we’d rather not take a long break. However, if you’d be interested in ordering food, let me know, and perhaps we can make pizza arrangements.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing you Saturday!

Chris Fleitas
Bellarmine Quiz Bowl coach
We look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

We're going into the final round of playoffs right now; depending on the results of the next round, either Escobar or Harker A will have the advantage in a two-game series of finals. Other teams in the top bracket (no particular order) are Bellarmine A and B, Crystal Springs Uplands, and Mills.
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Harker A defeated Escobar in the first game of an advantaged final to win this tournament. The top scorer was Max Isenberg from Harker, with something in the neighborhood of 55 ppg. Full stats will be up on the HSQB database by tonight!

A note for Fred/Excelsior/others concerned with staaaaaats: all teams at this tournament were regular-season teams from their respective schools (I can give more information via email if anyone wishes). I would strongly recommend incorporating these results into any sets of rankings that are being generated.
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

Stats are up.
Nikhil Desai
nadph
Rikku

Post by nadph »

nadph wrote:Stats are up.
Stats have now been fixed to show playoff brackets (Winners, Consolation 1, Consolation 2). Unfortunately, this means they do not reflect the excellent fact that the brackets for the prelims at this tournament were named "Green" and "Blue."
Nikhil Desai