Connecticut Invitational III (April 7th 2012)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rpirrie
Wakka

Connecticut Invitational III (April 7th 2012)

Post by rpirrie »

Greetings:

E. O. Smith High School Academic Quiz Bowl and IQConn are pleased to announce Connecticut Invitational III, which will take place on April 7th, 2012 at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT. In what we believe is the first ever use in New England, we’ll be running HSAPQ questions (tournament set 22, to be exact).
This is the third annual tournament with the purpose of promoting quiz bowl in the New England area. New England teams are strongly encouraged to attend.
Registration will begin at 8:30 AM with the first round beginning at 9:30 AM. Though it is difficult to know exactly when the tournament will end, it is safe to assume sometime in the early evening around 5 or 6 PM.

Fees for this tournament will be kept low to encourage participation. Registration information for the tournament is as follows:

Base fee, first team: $55
Additional teams: $50
Working buzzer system: -$10 each
Moderator: -$5 each

Please make checks payable to: E. O. Smith Academic Quiz Bowl. Please plan to pay on arrival at the tournament.

A copy of the registration form can be obtained by emailing the tournament director at [email protected]. You may also use this email for any questions you may have about the tournament.

For those concerned about transportation, a map and driving directions will be sent upon registering. Storrs, CT is located in the Northeastern part of the state, 40 minutes from Hartford, 1 hour, 45 minutes from Boston and 2 hours 45 minutes from New York City (it’s also about 3 hours from Hanover, NH).

We hope that you will join us April 7th, 2012 for Connecticut Invitational III at the University of Connecticut in Storrs, CT.

Bob Pirrie
Tournament Director
E. O. Smith High School, Storrs, CT
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Re: Connecticut Invitational III (April 7th 2012)

Post by rpirrie »

Greetings--
Just a little update.
To encourage teams from throughout New England (and outside regions) to participate we are dropping the cost of entry by $10 across the board.

Base fee, first team: $45
Additional teams: $40
Working buzzer system: -$10 each
Moderator: -$5 each

In addition, we will be running the tournament at E. O. Smith High School, not UConn--but that isn't a big change, because E. O. Smith is directly next door to UConn in Storrs CT. For general details please see the original posting. We will be posting interested and participating teams soon.
Don't forget, mark your calendars for April 7th. Hope to see you in Storrs CT!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--

Here is the current field for CT INV III.

Field (8 – 10 teams, 3 buzzers, 1 – 2 moderators)
Suffield Academy 1, 0, 0
Darien 2, 1, 0 - 1
AMSA 1 - 2, 1, 0
Woodland 2 – 3, 0, 0
Suffield 2, 1, 1

Interested
Housatonic Valley

Mark your calendars for April 7th and drop us a line!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hey--we are now PACE certified gold (top 20% of team qualify for the NSC). Other good reasons to drop us a line:

1. We strive to make things run as smoothly as possible. If you talk to anyone who came to our last tournament (2 years ago), they will confirm that fact.
2. We are cheap! We are hoping to promote this as a springtime tourney possibility for Southern New England (where there is a paucity of tournaments). Therefore, the first team fee is only $45 dollars.
3. We are being ably assisted by the folks from IQConn, UConn’s quiz bowl team.
4. We'll be using HSAPQ packets. This, I believe, marks the first appearance of HSAPQ in Southern New England (correct me on that if you like). These packets have low numbers of pop questions and do not have math computation.

All in all an intriguing possibility, n’est-ce pas? Sign up soon—we’d like to limit to 24 teams and already have 8 – 10. Thanks for considering us!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

Hanover is definitely interested. We might even have two teams; however, I can't be sure until a bit later this year. I hope some other New Hampshire or Vermont teams make the trip down for this; it could help strengthen Quizbowl for all of New England.
Graham R.

Maryland
jdauphinais
Lulu

Post by jdauphinais »

Thomaston High School looks like we will be able to send 1 team. I can provide a buzzer and/or moderator if you need also. Thanks!
----------------------------
J. Dauphinais
Math Dept. Chairman
Academic Bowl Advisor
Thomaston High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--

Field update.

Field (13 – 15 teams, 5 buzzers, 2 - 3 moderators)
Suffield Academy 1, 0, 0
Darien 2, 1, 0 - 1
AMSA 1 - 2, 1, 0
Woodland 2 – 3, 0, 0
Suffield 2, 1, 1
Thomaston 1, 1, 1
Berkshire 2, 1, 0
Greens Farms 2, 0, 0

Interested
Housatonic Valley
Hingham
Hanover

We'd like to limit the field to 24; drop us a line soon!

By the way, the original registration form sent out to some teams does not reflect the drop in price. Let me confirm that this tourney is a bargain, at $45 for the first team (see above).
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hey--field update.

Field (15 – 17 teams, 5 buzzers, 2 - 3 moderators)
Suffield Academy 1, 0, 0
Darien 2, 1, 0 - 1
AMSA 1 - 2, 1, 0
Woodland 2 – 3, 0, 0
Suffield 2, 1, 1
Thomaston 1, 1, 1
Berkshire 2, 1, 0
Greens Farms 2, 0, 0
NFA 2, 0, 0

Interested
Housatonic Valley
Hingham
Hanover

Only two weeks to go--contact us soon!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

I will try to talk to my team but it is unlikely that they will respond as it is the holidays and i am unsure of how they react to one more tournament to the busy schedule. But I would like to express extremely tentative interest on behalf of my team.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Field update.

Field (14 teams, 5 buzzers, 2 - 3 moderators)
Suffield Academy 1, 0, 0
Darien 2, 1, 0 - 1
AMSA 1, 1, 0
Woodland 2, 0, 0
Thomaston 1, 1, 1
Berkshire 2, 1, 0
Greens Farms 2, 1, 1
NFA 2, 0, 0
Hanover 1, 0, 0

The buzzers are getting a bit tricky, so drop me a line if you have a set but haven't let me know you'll be bringing it. Thanks!
Last edited by rpirrie on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--
Less than a week 'til CT INV III. We have a healthy field of 14 - 16, but if anyone else was thinking of sending a team let us know in the next few days! We can definitely squeeze you in!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Hello--
Hope everyone had a good time at CT INV III. Darien A made an excellent showing at what I believe is their first ever tourney, losing in the final to Hanover (excellent as always) 195 - 315. Stats will be posted soon. Hope to see you next year!

Bob Pirrie, Bing Xu, Alex Minge, Anna Green
E. O. Smith Academic Quiz Bowl
IQConn
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
chaossolver
Lulu

Post by chaossolver »

The EO Smith High School Quizbowl team and the University of Connecticut IQConn team would like to thank everybody for their participation in the EO Smith Invitational III.
We’d like to congratulate everybody on their achievement; the tournament champions from Hanover High School defeated Darien A in the final with a score of 310 to 195.
Also attached to this post are the individual stats and final standings through the first nine rounds of regular season play.
(play off results will be posted later)
Attachments
Individual Statistics.docx
Final Individual Scoring Standings
(26.58 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
standing.xlsx
Final Team Standings
(11.77 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
Bing Xu
Ass. Coach, E.O. Smith High School
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Congrats to Hanover!

Is a full SQBS report (with points per bonus, etc.) available, which could just be posted to the Quizbowl Resource Database? Clicking the link in the upper right of the hsquizbowl.org/db page that says "Add a tournament," and then following the instructions where it says "Upload SQBS reports," should do the trick.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
eclary
Kimahri

Great Tourney!

Post by eclary »

Salve:

My name is Evan Clary ([email protected]), English department chair and quiz bowl coach at Berkshire School, in Sheffield, MA: http://www.berkshireschool.org. I only recently moved to the area from the South, and the school at which I was previously employed was very active in NAQT Quiz Bowl. Now, Berkshire School has started a team.

We are all of us novices, the students to competing and me to coaching, so it's great to have tournaments such as the CT INV III, which was so professionally and amicably run that we had no trouble registering for, navigating toward, or participating in the event. And, even though we were a new team, there was a wide array of competitors, from schools at all levels of experience.

Each round was well moderated by the E.O. Smith team, who were extremely friendly and welcoming to us. The scoring and posting of standings were quick, and the tournament ran almost exactly according to the schedule that had been sent in advance.

Inexpensive, quick food was conveniently located just across the street from E.O. Smith, and parking was free and easy on campus. As any adult who has chaperoned a school trip knows, these little niceties can make a big difference in organizing and executing our plans.

All told, Coach Pirrie and his team did a fantastic job. Berkshire was proud to be able to participate. and looks forward to doing so again next year.

Evan Clary
a bird
Wakka

Post by a bird »

Thanks to E O Smith and UConn for a well run tournament. A full stats report with PPB, as well as playoff stats would be great. I hope New England continues to see new teams continue to form and well run tournaments . (I would have really loved to play BHSAT this year) If any teams from Connecticut are interested, I'm hoping to run a few tournaments at Hanover next year, these tournaments could feature teams from northern and southern New England, and they could see the intersection of a few different circuits.
Graham R.

Maryland