FAcT VIII (10/27/2012) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

FAcT VIII (10/27/2012) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Yale Student Academic Competitions is pleased to announce that the 8th annual Fall Academic Tournament (FAcT) will take place on Yale's campus on Saturday, October 27, 2012. The tournament will use untimed rounds of 20 tossups and bonuses. We will use an NAQT Introductory Invitational Series set (IS-121A), for which we have geographic exclusivity for the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Teams that finish in the top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for NAQT's HSNCT 2013 (High School National Championship Tournament), held on the weekend of May 25th in Atlanta, Georgia. FAcT is also affiliated with, and has been "Gold-Certified" by, the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE), which will allow as the top 20% of the field to qualify for this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship.

In-person registration will begin at 8 AM with the aim of starting the first round by 9 AM. The tournament will take place in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH) on Yale's main campus. Fees and registration information for the tournament are as follows:

Payment

Base fee: $80
Base fee for teams after the first team (B team, C team, etc.): $75
Working buzzer system: -$5 each
Moderator: -$10 each
Minimum fee per team: $60

Checks made out to Y. Student Academic Competitions (not "Yale Student Academic Competitions") can be sent out to: YSAC, P.O. Box 204600, New Haven, CT 06520 or given to us on the day of the tournament.

Registration

If you would like to register your high school for FAcT or have other questions about it, please email me (Matt Jackson) at [email protected]; I will be this year's tournament director. Posts in this thread are fine for "expressing interest" but will not count as registrations.

Due to an expected slight shortage of staff, we are initially capping the FAcT field at 18 teams, and will be maintaining a waitlist for teams beyond that. We have enough space reserved to expand our field and would love to welcome more teams, but will need additional outside staff to help make that happen. We will be providing lunch for our staffers on top of the fee discount for the team that brings you, so if you're a coach or experienced reader in the area, do consider helping out.

UPDATE: An influx of interest and staff has allowed us to expand again, to 24 teams. However, we are unable to expand the field any further at this time.

Registered field:
Half Hollow Hills EAST (2) (1 buzzer)
Suffield (2) (1 staffer)
Newtown (2) (1 staffer)
Hingham (2) (2 buzzers)
Old Saybrook (2) (1 buzzer)
E.O. Smith (2) (2 buzzers) (2 staffer(s))
AMSA (2) (2 buzzers)
Berkshire (1) (1 buzzer) (1 staffer)
Lexington (1)
Kellenberg (1) (2 buzzers)
Brookline (2) (2 buzzers)
Springfield Central (1)
Milton (1) (1 staffer)
"Team Seasia" (1)
"QE3" (1) (1 buzzer)
St. Joseph's (1)

Total: 24 teams, 14 buzzers

We look forward to seeing teams from all across the Northeast on the 27th!

Sincerely,
-Matt Jackson

P.S. New England teams looking to warm up for FAcT or expand their quizbowl opportunities in the region should register for MIT's Fall Tournament on September 22, directed by my trusted friend Stephen Eltinge. It will use the same type and difficulty level of questions as this event.

Yale also plans to host its annual BHSAT on March 2, 2013. I will again serve as head editor for the tournament. More details to follow in the coming months.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:30 am, edited 52 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Re: FAcT VIII (10/27/2012) at Yale (New Haven, CT)

Post by t-bar »

RyuAqua wrote:P.S. New England teams looking to warm up for FAcT or expand their quizbowl opportunities in the region should register for MIT's Fall Tournament on September 22, directed by my trusted friend Stephen Eltinge. It will use the same type and difficulty level of questions as this event.
We'd love to have any teams that are interested in coming. I've gotten six registered teams and two expressions of interest in the last 48 hours, though, so spots are going quickly!
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
jessbowen
Lulu

Post by jessbowen »

Hi,

AMSA would like to attend, bring two teams and two buzzers. I just sent you an email as well.
Jessica E. Bowen
Coach, AMSA Charter School
Marlborough, MA
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Good news! FAcT has once again been certified "Gold" by PACE, which will allow the teams finishing in the top 20 percent of the field to qualify for the 2013 PACE National Scholastics Championship. (Teams in the top 15 percent will qualify both for PACE and for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament - we encourage such teams to attend either or both.)
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

With 4 teams from Shrewsbury having been added to the field and the cap of 18 teams having been reached, the field for FAcT VIII is temporarily closed. I'm really happy to see so many totally new or emergent New England teams interested in our event, but as of now we just can't accommodate all of them.

However, I will now be accepting registrations for spots on the wait list. This wait list will be first-come first-serve, so as more space opens up or teams drop, the teams on the wait list will be added to the tournament field in the order that they signed up. We are seeking to expand to 24 teams, and the main factor now is having enough staffers, so if you're a competent moderator in the area or a wait list team which can bring a competent staffer (such as the coach), please let me know so we can open up the tournament to more teams in the area.

An additional note: I've gotten several emails asking whether there is a "registration form." As usual for Yale tournaments, an email to me containing the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you're bringing is sufficient to constitute registering - we don't require a registration form or anything like that.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

We have received enough interest and staff to expand the field to 24 teams. Unfortunately, we are unable to expand the field any further at this time, so currently wait-listed teams are only likely to enter the field if an existing team drops.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

With one team from Hingham down and Springfield Central in off the waitlist, we are still closed at 24.

Big apologies also to Half Hollow Hills East, who I had accidentally confused for their more westerly rival in the field listing for a whole month. Things should be set straight now - as far as I know, Hills East is in the field and Hills West never registered.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

After a series of drops and adds, we are at 22 teams. Can someone from each of {Cheshire, Avon} please contact me ASAP re: whether you're taking your wait list spots? Once we get those responses we can then see about last-minute registrations from others.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
TonyEgg
Lulu

Post by TonyEgg »

Hello,

A few students from HTHS in NJ are interested in attending this tournament as Team Seasia. We plan to bring one team. We can supply no moderators or buzzers.

Thanks,

AK
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

GrahamEnds7 wrote:Hello,

A few students from HTHS in NJ are interested in attending this tournament as Team Seasia. We plan to bring one team. We can supply no moderators or buzzers.

Thanks,

AK
You're in; please respond to my latest email at your convenience.

We're now at the end of the wait list and have a single spot available first-come, first-serve; email me if you want it.

EDIT: Aaaaand it's taken. See you all Saturday!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

Once the tournament starts, live statistics should be available at http://srivatsa.org/staaaats/fact2012. I am not going to be the statsperson for this tournament, so if this stops working for whatever reason, so crumbles the cookie.

EDIT (9:35am): The tournament is underway, with round 1 in progress or complete. We're currently doing round robins in 4 preliminary brackets of 6. Bracket names are Matt Jackson's fault, possibly with some blame transferred to Jacob Wasserman.

EDIT (11:28am): Round 5 is wrapping up and people are going to lunch. The tournament is rolling along smoothly.

EDIT (1:54pm): The playoffs are underway. Some shenanigans are occurring in the middle bracket, and I dunno what's up with that.

EDIT (2:36pm): We're moving into two rounds of superplayoffs now. Middle-bracket shenanigans will be resolved during the finals, apparently. (Aside: playoff and superplayoff bracket names are the collective fault of all of YSAC.)

EDIT (3:47pm): High Tech and Kellenberg are about to play a one-game final.

EDIT (4:07pm): High Tech beats Kellenberg, 410-245. Final stats should be up on srivatsa.org soon, and on the HSQB DB and naqt.com within a day or two. Full recap of the tournament results sometime tonight.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Congratulations to High Tech for winning the 8th annual FAcT! They, along with Kellenberg, Lexington, and St. Joseph's, qualify for the NAQT HSNCT. Two teams from AMSA with the exact same superplayoff record and superplayoff PPG edged out a team with the same record from Hingham to tie for fifth place, and word from PACE is that both will be added to the aforementioned teams as teams which have qualified for the 2013 NSC.

I want to give special thanks to Coach Jacqui Kaplan of Newtown, Coach Jess Bowen of AMSA, to Robert Pirrie and Bing Xu of E.O. Smith, to Coach DeAngelis of Suffield, and to Grant (?) fom Hingham for diligently staffing this tournament the entire day. Without you guys, we wouldn't have run nearly as efficiently.

Combined stats are here, and final order of finish can be determined by vertical placement along the crossover/superplayoff stats here. To be clear: Teams were put in 6-team prelim brackets, which then broke to paired playoff brackets of four; the superplayoffs consisted of two crossover games from one paired playoff bracket to the other, so as to determine order of finish for each set of four teams from the top of the field down.

I hope to see all the CT and MA teams at more events in the area this year, starting with Newtown's new event on December 8. New England is a much more vibrant place to be a high school quizbowler today than it was even a year ago, and I'm really glad for that - seize the opportunities as they come!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF