BHSAT XXII at Yale University (March 2, 2013, New Haven, CT)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

BHSAT XXII at Yale University (March 2, 2013, New Haven, CT)

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Greetings, everyone! I am pleased to announce that the twenty-second annual Bulldog High School Academic Tournament (BHSAT XXII) will take place on March 2, 2013 at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. BHSAT annually features a number of top teams from around the country - last year's tournament featured the eventual NSC champion Hunter College High School (NY), routine individual All-Star Max Schindler (MO), and the well-traveled Northmont (OH) - as well as plenty of local and regional competitors across the spectrum. This year's BHSAT has been Platinum-certified by PACE, meaning that the teams in the the top 25 percent of the field will all qualify for the PACE National Scholastic Championship this June.

As is highly traditional, the set for BHSAT XXI will be house-written by members of the Yale University quizbowl team. I (Matt Jackson) will once again serve as head editor of the set. The target difficulty is "the same as BHSAT 2011," which can be reviewed at quizbowlpackets.com. More details on the set, and information about other sites using it, can be found in the Mirror Requests forum.

In-person registration will begin at 8 AM with the aim of starting the opening meeting at 8:45 and the first round by 9 AM. Like last year, the tournament will take place in William L. Harkness Hall (WLH), at the heart of Yale's campus. We plan to offer every team at least 10 games across the morning and afternoon.

Fees and registration information for the tournament are as follows:

Payment

Base fee: $90
Working buzzer system: -$5 each
Moderator: -$5 each
Additional teams: -$5 each
Travel discount: -$10 for travelling over 200 miles to get to us
Minimum fee per team: $60

Checks made out to Y. Student Academic Competitions (not "Yale Student Academic Competitions") should be given to us on the day of the tournament, or can be sent out to: YSAC, P.O. Box 204600, New Haven, CT 06520 if that's not possible.

Registration

If you would like to register your high school for BHSAT 2013 or have other questions about it, please email me (Matt Jackson) at [email protected] with "BHSAT" in the subject line. Posts in this thread are fine for "expressing interest" but will not count as registrations.

New!: If your school wants or needs a digital invoice for the tournament, please send your request along with your registration or send another one at least a week before the tournament, so we can handle the requests all at once. Paper invoices will be handed out upon request at the tournament.

The field for BHSAT 2013 is initially capped at 24 teams, and we plan to offer teams 11 games should we reach that cap. We will maintain a wait list for teams beyond that. With sufficient interest and staff, there is a possibility of a small expansion beyond 24, but only if we're sure that an expanded field can be well staffed. As always, we can provide lunch for our staffers on top of the fee discount for the team that brings you, so if you're a coach or experienced reader in the area, do consider helping out.

Registered Field:

North Babylon A (NY)
North Babylon B (NY)
Berkshire School (MA)
Springfield Central (MA)
Avon A (CT)
Avon B (CT)
Newtown A (CT)
Newtown B (CT)
Allentown Central Catholic (PA)
Ridgewood A (NJ)
Lexington (MA)
Woodland Regional (CT)
Hunter A (NY)
Hunter B (NY)
Hunter C (NY)
Hunter D (NY)
E.O. Smith A (CT)
E.O. Smith B (CT)
Hanover (NH)
Ridgewood B (NJ)
Hingham (MA)
Kellenberg A (NY)
Kellenberg B (NY)

Buzzers:
North Babylon (2)
Springfield Central (1)
Avon (2)
Ridgewood (2)
Hunter (2)
E.O. Smith (2)
Hingham (2)
Berkshire (1)
Kellenberg (2)

Outside staff:
Avon (1), E.O. Smith (1), Hunter (1), Kellenberg (1), Hanover (1), Williston Northampton (1)

Total: 23 teams, 16 buzzers, 6 outside staff

Expressing Interest (as a reminder, you are NOT registered until you email):
Sparta High School (2 teams?)
Williston Northampton

We hope to see teams from up and down the coast, and perhaps across the country, on March 2nd!

-Matt Jackson

P.S. New England teams looking to warm up for BHSAT or expand their quizbowl opportunities in the region should register for CT Invitational IV at UConn, directed by coach Robert Pirrie of E.O. Smith High School, and this year's MIT Beaver Academic Tournament at MIT. Both should prove fulfilling.
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 am, edited 41 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Redgrass1
Lulu

Re: BHSAT XXII at Yale University (March 2, 2013, New Haven, CT)

Post by Redgrass1 »

Ridgewood will be bringing at least one team (probably more) I'll send in a formal e-mail as soon as I get numbers.
Esther Sun
Ridgewood Highschool, NJ
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

I'm happy to announce that BHSAT has been Platinum-certified by PACE, meaning that the teams in the the top 25 percent of the field will all qualify for the PACE National Scholastic Championship this June. Get your registrations in soon!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
ambisinister
Kimahri

Post by ambisinister »

Sparta High School would like to express interest in two teams
Eryk Banatt
Sparta High School '13
Yale '17
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

With two teams from E.O. Smith High School having been registered, the BHSAT field currently features 21 teams from 5 states, out of a possible 24 teams. As a reminder, only an email of the form "[School] will be bringing _ teams, _ buzzers, and _ staffers" can count as an official registration - emails expressing general interest and posts here can't officially count.

EDIT 1/27: And one team from Hanover brings us to 22 teams from 6 states. Only two spots left!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

One month to go and one spot left - first team to email in gets it. After that, we will establish a waitlist for interested teams.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

With the registration of a single team from Hingham, the 24-team for BHSAT XXII is now closed. However, we will now be maintaining an open-ended waitlist for teams who are still interested in signing up for BHSAT; in the event that teams drop from the current field or more spots become available in an expanded field, we will add teams from the waitlist to the field in a first-come, first-serve manner. We got lots of teams into our last tournament this way, so don't hesitate to sign up for the waitlist!
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Due to a last-minute team withdrawal, there is now one (1) spot available at Yale's BHSAT tournament this Saturday. The first team to email me confirming that they can commit to bringing players on Saturday for that spot gets it.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

You can probably expect to see (semi-)live stats at http://srivatsa.org/staaaats/bhsat2013 once the tournament is under way (but I will not be in charge of stats, so I can make no assurances). Stats will eventually be migrated to the DB for archival.

EDIT (9:45 am): Tournament is underway, and round 1 is finishing up.

EDIT (2:54 pm): We're roughly at round 9 of the tournament (round 4 out of 6 of the playoffs - 4x6 into 3x8 w/o replay, followed by finals). I don't even know who is to blame for the bracket names anymore.

EDIT (4:47 pm): Lexington and Ridgewood A (both 5-2 in playoffs) are now playing a play-in match to see who gets to be disadvantaged in a final against Hunter A (6-1 in playoffs).

EDIT (5:11 pm): Ridgewood A wins play-in and is now disadvantaged in the first game of a finals series against Hunter A.

EDIT (5:32 pm): Hunter A wins the first game, and so Hunter A is the champion of this tournament. Full results/etc to follow later in a post by somebody else.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
mgysac15
Kimahri

Post by mgysac15 »

I was the stats person for this tournament. If you have any questions, corrections, or updates regarding the stats, please email me at [email protected] or [email protected]
Michael Garn
St. Ignatius (OH) '11
Yale '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Congratulations to Hunter College High School A on their fourth consecutive victory at the Bulldog High School Academic Tournament! Congratulations also to Ridgewood for an incredibly strong runner-up performance. Those two teams qualify for the PACE NSC along with Lexington, Hunter B, Hanover, and Kellenberg A. Combined stats and a link to the DB will be posted shortly, though the playoff standings accurately reflect order of finish.

I want to give special thanks to our volunteer staffers - Stephen Young of Hunter, Gabe B-T of Kenyon/Hanover, Danny of Georgetown/Walt Whitman, Justin of Ridgewood, Bing Xu of E.O. Smith, and Coach Jeanine LaBrosee of Avon -for all the effort they put in to make this tournament more efficient and successful than it otherwise would have been.

As another reminder, please join the "BHSAT 2013 Discussion" hidden subforum if you were at this site and have things to share - we will be making an extensive round of fixes and touchups between now and the next mirror a week from now, and would like to hear from other people so as to add to the notes of our own. To do so, go into your Control Panel, select "Usergroups," scroll down to our checkbox, and hit "Join selected." I welcome any/all commentary about the set there, or by email at <[email protected]>.
Excelsior (smack) wrote: I don't even know who is to blame for the bracket names anymore.
The bracket names will continue to pour fourth from the general will of YSAC until its demands are met.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I think there's a problem with your combined stats report on the database.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator