24th Dorman Cavalier Challenge, 18 Jan 2014, Spartanburg, SC

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
thomasgnd
Lulu

24th Dorman Cavalier Challenge, 18 Jan 2014, Spartanburg, SC

Post by thomasgnd »

The Dorman High School Academic Team cordially invites all teams to the twenty-fourth edition of our Cavalier Challenge on Saturday, January 18, 2014, on our campus just south of Spartanburg, South Carolina. For travel planning purposes, our address is 1050 Cavalier Way, Roebuck, SC 29376.

In a change from previous years, our question set will not be house-written. We will use HSAPQ's regular-season set for this year. Games will consist of two timed 10-minute halves. Bonuses will bounce, and powers and negs will not be awarded/deducted

As always, we will not cap our field, as we strive to serve as many teams as possible in our area and beyond. A formal invitation will be mailed to all schools in our state and surrounding area in August. If your team does not fit those geographic parameters but would like an invitation, we are happy to provide one by email if you request it. Otherwise, you may register by emailing me at [email protected]. In the interest of streamlining the planning of such a large tournament, please only register by submitting the formal registration form or by emailing me at the above address. We cannot accept registrations through any other method.

We will have Varsity and JV divisions. The registration fee for the first team in a division will be $75. If a school brings more teams, the fee for each team after the first in each division will be $60. Lunch, including vegetarian options, will be prepared on-site by our parent organization and available for $5 per student. Coaches will be fed in our hospitality room free of charge.

Please direct any questions to me by responding to this post, via private message on this site, or by email at [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you at Dorman in January!
Last edited by thomasgnd on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Head Quizbowl Coach, Heathwood Hall
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
thomasgnd
Lulu

Re: 24th Dorman Cavalier Challenge, 01/18/14, Spartanburg, SC

Post by thomasgnd »

I am happy to officially announce that the question set for the 24th Cavalier Challenge shall be the regular-season HSAPQ set for 2013-14. Games will consist of 16-20 tossups with accompanying 3-part bonuses that will not bounce.

We look forward to hosting a large field in Spartanburg, SC, on January 18, 2014.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

Paper invitations were mailed this week. If anyone who did not get one would like one, just message me or email me. I will be happy to forward you one. We would love to see you in Upstate South Carolina in January!
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

Our first few dozen registrations have arrived. While we have no field cap for Cavalier Challenge, we encourage everyone to register as soon as possible. With good fortune, 2014 will see the largest Cav Challenge yet.

Thank you for your partnership.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

Plenty of spots remain available in our field. If you have yet to hear this year's HSAPQ set, we encourage you to join us on January 18 in the Palmetto State. Private-message or email me!
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
Rountree
Rikku

Re: 24th Dorman Cavalier Challenge, 18 Jan 2014, Spartanburg

Post by Rountree »

Thanks to Mr. Thomas and the rest of the Dorman Academic Team for putting on a fun and enjoyable tournament!

The top 4 in the Varsity Finals bracket:
1. Chattahoochee, 3-0
2. Ezell Harding, 2-1
3. Dunbar, 1-2
4. George Washington, 0-3

The top 4 in the JV Finals bracket (I think):
1. Dunbar A
2. James Island
3. Chattahoochee
4. Dunbar B
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
thomasgnd
Lulu

Re: 24th Dorman Cavalier Challenge, 18 Jan 2014, Spartanburg

Post by thomasgnd »

We were fortunate to see many great performances yesterday at the 24th Cavalier Challenge.

As Mr Rountree has already posted, the Varsity division was won by his Chattahoochee GA team. Other teams that advanced to the final-four round robin were Ezell Harding TN in 2nd, Dunbar KY in 3rd, and George Washington WV in 4th. Stats may be viewed at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/ . Quarterfinalists were Collins Hill GA, Honaker VA, Russell KY, and Southside A SC.

The JV division was indeed won by Dunbar A KY, followed by the other 3 members of the final-four round robin: James Island SC in 2nd, Chattahoochee GA in 3rd, and Dunbar B KY in 4th. Stats are at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/.

As is the case each year, we enjoyed hosting everyone, which included 53 Varsity and 16 JV teams this year. We invite everyone out there back for next year's 25th edition, which will be on Saturday, January 17, 2015!
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com