Dan Goff Memorial Tournament (March 8, 2014, Blacksburg, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Dan Goff Memorial Tournament (March 8, 2014, Blacksburg, VA)

Post by Whiter Hydra »

The Dan Goff Memorial Tournament is being held on our campus in Blacksburg, VA on March 8, 2014 and will using NAQT's Introductory Invitational Series Set IS-133A.

Teams will report to McBryde 100. This is the large auditorium on the south side of the building.
Parking restrictions are not enforced on the weekends unless posted, and ample parking is available both around the Drillfield, along the Alumni Mall, and in the lots and parking deck near Prices Fork Road.

Registration
Registration will begin at 8:00 AM and we expect the opening meeting to begin promptly at 8:45 AM with gameplay beginning at 9:00 AM.

Fees and Discounts
Base fee: $70
Working buzzer set: -$5
Competent Moderator: -$10
Scorekeeper: -$5
Travel (in excess of 200 miles one-way as determined by the TD): -$5/200 miles

To register, please contact Brian Mongilio via email at ([email protected]) with the coach's contact information, including a phone number where the coach can be reached on the day of the tournament, the number of teams, and any expected discounts.

Eligibility
Teams are limited to six players, four of which may play at any one time. If a school wishes to bring more than six players, they must register an additional team.

Format
The field is initially capped at 20 teams, but may be expanded if resources allow. Teams in excess of the cap will be placed on a waitlist and allowed into the field in order.

The exact tournament schedule will be determined by field size closer to the tournament date, however we will guarantee a minimum of 8 rounds.

Any questions about this tournament can be sent to Brian Mongilio ([email protected]).

Teams
School - Teams/Staffer/Buzzers
Blacksburg - 4/0/3
Cave Spring - 3/1/2
Last edited by Whiter Hydra on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Dan Goff Memorial Tournament (March 8, 2014)

Post by AKKOLADE »

I approve of this name.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
mithokie
Rikku

Re: Dan Goff Memorial Tournament (March 8, 2014, Blacksburg,

Post by mithokie »

Excited to see this on 3/8. I am a little confused about the set number 132 is not an A set. Do you have any eligibility restrictions at this tournament or not?
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

mithokie wrote:I am a little confused about the set number 132 is not an A set. Do you have any eligibility restrictions at this tournament or not?
I mistakenly told Harry the wrong set. We have IS-133A reserved for this event. There are currently no planned eligibility restrictions.

And I can take any questions at [email protected].
Brian Mongilio
Virginia Tech '16, Treasurer 2011-Present
Parkersburg South (WV) '11
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

We're just under 3 weeks away from this tournament. Anyone interested in attending should send an email to [email protected].
Brian Mongilio
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

We have approximately 6 teams registered for this tournament from only Blacksburg and Cave Spring. Due to the lower than expected numbers and recent discussions with both coaches and NAQT, the following changes will be made:
  • The tournament is going to be open to "local Novice players of any academic level".*
  • The registration fee will be reduced to $40 per team with no available discounts. However, due to the lower fees, please still bring buzzers and staffers.
  • Registration will remain open until 11:59 PM on Thursday, March 6.
*Yes, collegiate and middle school players are now eligible to register. I maintain the right to decline a registration if I feel a non-high school team is too strong for the field. For the sake of NAQT HSNCT registration, the top x% of high school teams will be ranked and those teams will earn their bids to HSNCT.

If there are any questions about these changes, please feel free to contact me.
Brian Mongilio
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Uh, I think that allowing college/open players to play against high school teams on a regular-season tournament on an IS-A set is just a really, really terrible idea, both in the abstract and for Virginia's place as a leader in doing quizbowl correctly. Please don't do this.

If you're going to host a tournament announced less than a month before it takes place, on a date that was claimed by three History Bowl events within a three-hour driving radius of Blacksburg months ago, you're not going to get a lot of participants. You should be prepared to run a small tournament rather than a compromised one.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

Matt Weiner wrote:Uh, I think that allowing college/open players to play against high school teams on a regular-season tournament on an IS-A set is just a really, really terrible idea, both in the abstract and for Virginia's place as a leader in doing quizbowl correctly. Please don't do this.

If you're going to host a tournament announced less than a month before it takes place, on a date that was claimed by three History Bowl events within a three-hour driving radius of Blacksburg months ago, you're not going to get a lot of participants. You should be prepared to run a small tournament rather than a compromised one.
Let me explain my rationale at least:
I was honestly not expecting a low turnout. I thought I had picked a clear weekend and obviously that was a bad assumption on my behalf. Understanding that I am working with the cards I have dealt myself, I'd like to make two observations about my field - 1) the majority of teams are not A teams and 2) The only teams who care about HSCNT or NSC qualification have already earned it elsewhere.

This leads me to reassessing the "goal" of this tournament. Instead of "trying to determine the best team for national qualification", my hope is now to "develop and give positive experiences to newer/weaker teams." Thus, the best way I can do that is to give them appropriate, new, and unique teams to play against rather than their usual in-school opponents. I had already planned to give up NSC and HSCNT qualification for my decisions and it is only from NAQT's own accord that we are still providing HSNCT bids. By lowering the registration fee, I recognize that I am not providing the normal experience. Rather, I just wish to cover my expenses for the question set and cost of running the tournament.

My original plan earlier in the week was to cancel this and just host an "open practice". After discussion with both coaches, we determined that we preferred to run the set as planned and make the changes I've described. After these changes, the tournament now resembles that "open practice" environment other than scores will be kept and we'll provide the competitive atmosphere.

By no means should "providing positive experiences to new/younger players" violate the goals of Virginia Quizbowl or PACE. It is always better to play good (albeit easy) questions than nothing.
Brian Mongilio
Huntur
Lulu

Post by Huntur »

I won't sugarcoat this:
Due to the storm of negative feedback that I have received, I am forced to go back on my previous announcement. We are not opening this tournament to post-high school players.

I am not logically convinced my rationale is wrong but I refuse to allow my teammates at Virginia Tech to be cast in a negative light due to my own actions. I will personally take all responsibility for negative feelings towards this tournament and my announcements regarding it.
Brian Mongilio
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Stats!

Congratulations to Cave Spring A for clearing the field by three games!
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Good time and quick tournament, we played straight through completing 10 rounds in just a hair over 4 hours, so kudos to the VT team for a well run, but small tournament. I thought that this tournament would yield 2 HSNCT spots since .15*7 = 1.05, but reading the qualification guidelines at http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html it looks like we had to have 3 teams to qualify anyone. Could Jeff or someone else confirm for me that I am reading the qualification guidelines correctly.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Indeed, teams from at least three different schools must be present in order for a tournament to be a qualifier, but wildcard requests are always welcome.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments