DONTQUIT at Stevenson (IL): MUT mirror on April 5

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

DONTQUIT at Stevenson (IL): MUT mirror on April 5

Post by jonah »

I will be hosting a nationals preparatory tournament at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, Illinois on April 5, 2014. In recognition of the idea that quizbowl teams should continue playing quizbowl despite the end of the IHSA's season, the tournament is named DONTQUIT (Duel Of National Tournament-QUalified Illinois Teams), but teams from outside of Illinois are welcome too as long as they meet the eligibility criteria below.

Location: Adlai E. Stevenson High School, 1 Stevenson Drive, Lincolnshire, Illinois

Eligibility: Each team must consist of one or more players that attend the same high school. For n such teams to register for this tournament, the corresponding school must have received at least n invitations to the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, at least n invitations to the NAQT Small School National Championship Tournament, or at least n invitations to the PACE National Scholastics Championship. No combining of invitations is allowed (that is, if a school has earned exactly one invitation to each of those tournaments, at most one team of players from that school may enter this tournament). Furthermore, priority will be given to teams from schools that are not only qualified for but are also registered for at least one of those tournaments. Teams are not required to be formally affiliated with a school. Non-qualified teams may request to enter; they will be dealt with as necessary to achieve an aesthetically pleasing field size or otherwise at my discretion.

Field cap: There is a tentative field cap of 12 so that we can do a full round robin followed by tiebreakers if necessary and an advantaged final.

Question set: The tournament will use the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament set written and edited by members and alumni of the team at the University of Minnesota plus Billy Busse of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This set is more difficult than regular-season high school question sets, but the experience will be useful for teams seeking to prepare for national championships.

Rules: The tournament will use ACF rules with the addition of powers. (In particular, this means up to 4 people playing at a time on each team, a roster cap of 6, negs, non-rebounding bonuses, sudden-death tiebreakers, and substitutions only at the half or before tiebreakers.)

Money: The base fee is $60 per team.
  • There is a $5 discount for bringing a fully functional buzzer system. This will be given at most twice to each school, and no more than eight times total in order of signup. (If the field is expanded, this may change.)
  • There is a $15 discount for providing a staffer who has been approved by me, subject to the staffer actually being needed. Staffers will be provided with lunch.
  • If you say you will bring a buzzer system or staffer in exchange for a discount, and then fail to do so without sufficient advance notice, you forfeit the discount and owe an additional fee equal to the amount the discount would have been.
  • The minimum fee is $35 per team.
  • If you cancel between 72 hours and 24 hours before the tournament, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $35. If you cancel less than 24 hours before the tournament, you will be charged a cancellation fee of $60. I reserve the right to waive this fee (and all others) at my discretion.
  • Teams not formally associated with a school must pay in full by check before the tournament, or bring sufficient cash or a check to the tournament. Such teams that have not paid in advance and do not bring acceptable payment to the tournament will be directed to an ATM and will not be permitted to play until they have paid. All fines due to buzzer/staffer cancellation must be paid before you will be permitted to play.
  • If financial issues stand between your team and attending this tournament, contact me to discuss possible arrangements.
Registration: To register, email the following information to me at [email protected]: school/team name, number of teams, number of buzzer systems, any information about staff you wish to bring, official contact name (and email address if it's not the one the message is coming from), and contact cell phone number for the morning of the tournament. No other medium is acceptable for registration.

Contact: If you have any questions, please contact me at [email protected].
Last edited by jonah on Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Re: DONTQUIT at Stevenson (IL): MUT mirror on April 5

Post by jonah »

Field (12): Auburn A, Auburn B, East Mail Company, Fenton, Fremd, Hinsdale Central, Horse, IMSA A, IMSA B, Stevenson, Tyrone Williams Brigade, UChicago Lab
Last edited by jonah on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Jonah Greenthal
kievanrustic
Lulu
Location: Riverside, IL (Aurora, IL during most of the school year)

Post by kievanrustic »

Jonah said:
Machiavelli Academy A, Machiavelli Academy B,
I wonder who these people are?

In all seriousness, I'd just like to thank Jonah and whoever else is running this tournament. It is a really pleasant surprise to see yet another high school mirror of a college tournament in Illinois.
Andrew Salij
Northwestern University 2024
St. Olaf College 2019
IMSA 2015
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

One spot left.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We're full.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

One spot has opened up.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Machiavelli Academy has dropped both of its teams; luckily, IMSA was eager to step up and claim those spots. We have one spot available and I would love for it to be filled soon.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I'd still like to get a twelfth team, but if we don't get one by Thursday, it's just going to be an 11-team round robin — mirror fees are too high for me to absorb the cost of a hybrid team.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Metea Valley has dropped and been replaced with the oddly similar, though wholly unrelated, Tyrone Williams Brigade. I'd love that last spot to be claimed soon, and I'd love another staffer or two.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We have 12 teams and a full field. See you Saturday.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Congratulations to Stevenson for going undefeated and clearing the field at DONTQUIT. The second-place team was Auburn A; IMSA A was third. Full statistics may be found here. Thanks to the staff: Colby Burnett, Matt Laird, Mike Laudermith, Danielle Long, Amy Millman, Ali Nagib, Zoelle Nagib, and David Reinstein.
Jonah Greenthal
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Thank you all for playing MUT! If you'd like to discuss the set, or read discussion of the set, please request to join the 2014 MUT Discussion usergroup using your User Control Panel to access the private forum.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Saltasassi
Lulu

Post by Saltasassi »

Thanks to Stevenson for hosting and to Jonah for running this. Despite a few mishaps that happened before the start of the first match, it was overall a pretty well-run tournament.
Jennie Yang
Fremd 2015
Stanford 2019 + 2020