The Novice tournament is specially designed to appeal to newer or inexperienced players. Each round will consist of 20 tossup questions with 20 3-part bonuses. The tournament will use 15-point "powers" (reward for an early enough buzz), and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. Bonuses will rebound. There is no computational math in the SCOP Novice set.
This tournament is open to all IHSSBCA member teams with the following restrictions on individual players:
- A player must have played fewer than 40 varsity-level matches for his or her school’s top team.
- A player must have played fewer than 80 career high school matches at any level.
- A player must NOT have scored more than 35 points per game at a varsity invitational tournament.
- A player must never have scored more than 20 points per game at a high school national championship tournament.
- A player must never have been named to an All-Tournament Team at a high school tournament.
- A player must never have been named to the All-Tournament Team at NAQT’s Middle School National Championship Tournament
- Fees are $50 for the first team and $45 for each subsequent team.
- Every school must have a current IHSSBCA member to register for a Novice tournament; if you are not a member, you must join to enter a team or teams.
A concession stand will be available on site for teams. There are no viable options to leave the campus during lunch break.
Teams wishing to register should email Matt Hasquin (firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell me how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school will be bringing.
We look forward to hosting your team and hope to create a great quiz bowl experience for the novice players.