Scobol Solo October 28, 2017 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo October 28, 2017 (IL)

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Sixteenth Annual Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, October 28, 2017. The tournament is at New Trier High School in Winnetka, just north of Chicago.

Checks should be made payable to Reinstein QuizBowl and mailed to:
Reinstein QuizBowl
PO Box 57
125 Shelter Road
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
If this causes any problems, contact me.

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:30. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $35 per player for the first eight players on your team. If you can supply a moderator, then the cost is only $25 per player for the first eight players, and it is only $15 per player if you have two moderators. I am willing to negotiate if you have more than two moderators. Lunch will be provided for everybody. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. If you wish to enter more than eight players, they will be entered on a standby basis. If there is room for them to play, they will play for free. I will let you know by October 20 how much room we have--we are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are here.

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records.

Please return the attached form with a check. To hold some spaces for your school while your business office is cutting the check, email me at [email protected] or call me at (847)784-6616. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
Attachments
soloentryform17.pdf
(20.66 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo October 28, 2017 (IL)

Field:
see https://www.scobolsolo.com/stats/field.jsp?object=2017

Staff:
Bryan Berend
David Brewczynski
Jeff Brigham
Colby Burnett
Michael Camp
Ulysses Capistran
John Connell
Ernesto Cruz
Owen Doak
Jason Dutmers
Ryan Fedewa
Jonah Greenthal
Frank Hannon
Patrick Hogan
Michael Kolton
Denise Kreb
Sarah Landis
Mike Laudermith
John Legendre
Sharon Lorinskas
Becky Mathew
Matthew McGinnis
Andrew Nadig
Ali Nagib
Logan Nelson
Ron Netzel
Katie Parks
Michael Sacks
Chirag Shah
Michael Sorice
Adam Sperber
Mark Taylor
Andrew Wang
Ben Yang
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 am, edited 49 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

This tournament is very close to full for students but still needs a lot more moderators.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

This tournament now has a waitlist for students.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have one opening.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Full again. That being said, anybody who gets on the waitlist soon will have a very good chance of getting in.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Two One openings

We're full again.

We still need more moderators.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have an opening, and there is a good chance we will have another one or two very soon. On October 18, I will give away open spots to standbys, so claim the spot soon if you want it.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

You can follow the tournament here.

Please keep in mind that we test the system a little bit before the tournament. Because of that, you may see some dummy results. We are aware of them, and they will be gone when the tournament starts. Similarly, the process of seeding this tournament will take place over the course of the next week, and you should not take any matchups you see seriously until next Friday, and they are not final until the tournament starts.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

If there are any issues with your roster or with the staffing list above, please let me know immediately. If you are a student, you should both tell me and tell your coach to tell me. Issues include too many or too few students, the wrong students, name misspellings, missing class years, or incorrect class years. Tell me everything.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

The pairings are now reasonable and won't be changed unless the field changes. I am attaching a schedule in case anybody wants to spend the next 36 hours filling out their bracket, though due to file size issues it's not pretty. No betting please.
Attachments
2017-prelims-card-system.xlsx
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

Thanks and congratulations to everybody who participated. This tournament ran smoothly because Jonah's program worked well, all the buzzers worked, and all the moderators were good.

We'll put the Championship Results up soon. Ethan Strombeck won, and Kevin Kodama was second.

Keep in mind that the questions are secure. If there is interest in setting up a private thread to discuss them, I can set one up. If you noticed any problems with any question, please contact me. Also, I welcome any feedback on any aspect of the tournament.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I am aware that some of the stats pages are unusably slow. This will be fixed in some fashion within a day or so, maybe tonight.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonah wrote:I am aware that some of the stats pages are unusably slow. This will be fixed in some fashion within a day or so, maybe tonight.
Okay, I think I have the stats pages working better and the data pretty well cleaned up from anomalies that came up because of our use of phantoms to compensate for the three missing players. If you see anything weird or not working, please let me know.

Also, I have posted the final standings and scoresheet from the championship match.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments