Berwick Area Quiz Bowl proudly announces its first tournament, The Bulldog Buzzer Battle, at Berwick Area High School on Saturday, April 14th. The BBB will be a Novice Level tournament and hopes to draw students new to Saturday tournaments from northeastern PA and beyond. The tournament will use the PSACA “Philly Cheesesteak” set from Mr. Bill Tressler, and will be priced to attract new teams. We will also offer attractive discounts for high-school student staff to encourage experienced players in our area to have the opportunity to read/score at a tournament. To register, please email tgunther-at-berwicksd-dot-org with your number of teams, grades of students participating on each team (general level of 9th & 10th or 11th & 12th is fine), and any discounts for buzzers and adult or student staff discounts you wish to claim. We hope to see you in Berwick on April 14!
Date: Saturday, April 14, 2018
Location: Berwick Area Senior High School, 1100 Fowler Avenue, Berwick, PA 18603
Question Set: PSACA Philly Cheesesteak
Check-in from 8:15-8:45am
Round #1 Start Time at 9:15am
Five Morning Rounds – expected completion of Morning Rounds by Noon
Teams are guaranteed three afternoon rounds, with top nine teams likely playing at least four rounds.
Afternoon Meeting: 1:15 or 75 minutes after conclusion of Morning
Expected Awards Ceremony from 3:45pm-4pm.
New to Saturday Quiz Bowl: $45/team
Experienced Schools 11th 12th : $105/team (note staff and buzzer discount below, and eligibility rules)
Experienced Schools 10th and below: $65/team
Experienced School Student Staff Discount: -$20/student staffer recommended by school coach
Experienced School Adult Staff Discount: -$10/adult staffer
Buzzer Discount: -$20/buzzer
Minimum Fee: $45/team
As this is a Novice tournament, we’ll be imposing the following eligibility conditions:
1) Any student in 10th grade or below is automatically eligible
2) Any student in 11th or 12th grade who has never played in a “Saturday tournament” is automatically eligible – this specifically does NOT disqualify anyone who’s only played in WVIA Scholastic Scrimmage or a Pennsylvania IU event only.
3) Any student who has never scored higher than 10 ppg in a Varsity “Saturday tournament” is automatically eligible.”
4) Any student who has never scored higher than 30 ppg in a Varsity “Saturday tournament” is eligible to be on a doubles-only team, partnered with one other student from that school qualifying through any of these four eligibility conditions.
5) We will examine the eligibility of any student who’s coach submits information, and may declare a student eligible in a narrow, unusual, or borderline case.
We will be taking pre-orders for pizza for those who wish to stay for lunch. There are a couple of quick service options within 5-10 minute driving distance – information will be provided for those who register.
As this is our first tournament, our soft cap will start at 12 teams, with no more than 2 teams from any school initially registered. If adequate staff and buzzers can be found, we hope and expect to expand this cap to 18 teams.
Awards will be provided for the top 3 teams, and for the highest ranking team from the Susquehanna Valley (Lackawanna, Luzerne, Columbia counties), Poconos (Wayne, Pike counties), and North Central PA (Susquehanna to Lycoming counties).
Last edited by BulldogBuzzers
on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.