NAQT Michigan State Championship @MSU 4/7/18

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

NAQT Michigan State Championship @MSU 4/7/18

Post by Ciorwrong »

The MSU Academic Competition Club is eager and excited to host the NAQT Michigan State Championship on April 7th, 2018.

We are running NAQT’s designated NAQT states set (2017-’18 Sectionals) with no comp math tossups and will be using NAQT rules (https://naqt.com/rules.html ) . Teams will play at least 10 untimed games with the exact number of rounds dependent on the amount of teams. I will be TDing this event and l will try to start rounds promptly at 8:45. Please try to be on time and call or email me if you are going to be late.

We have an initial 30 team field cap due to staffer constraints. At first, schools are limited to two teams per school (ie. an A team and a B team). Please tell us if you want to bring more than two teams so we can put the C team, etc. on the waitlist. Staffers are appreciated and will get free lunch and gas reimbursement if they volunteer.

Note: we do not want teams of more than 6 players because that makes stats more complicated than necessary, and prevents players from being at the buzzer. Please register 2 teams if you want to bring one team with 7+ players. Having many many players on one team adds unnecessary time when entering stats accurately, and again, I’d recommend just securing multiple teams. If cost is an issue, we can probably work something out.

This tournament will likely be held in Berkey Hall near Grand River. This is the same place we have held our previous high school tournaments. Parking and food options are available on Grand River and near the Olin Health Center.

Payment Structure:
$75 - First team
$65 - Second team from a school and on
-$20 - New to quizbowl (no teams from your school have attended a pyramidal quizbowl tournament in the last two years-- let us know if you qualify for this)
-$10 - WORKING buzzer system (If the system is broken, we will revoke this discount. Additionally, if your school said they were bringing a buzzer and didn't, we will ask for the discount back.)
-$10 - Travel over 100 miles one way, as determined by Google maps
-$20 - Experienced moderator (Let us know you are bringing a staffer ahead of time)
-$5 – Paying for the tournament the day of in cash. Please tell us ahead of time if you plan to pay in cash.
Minimum fee per team: $30

Please pay us by cash or check made out to “MSU Academic Competition Club” on April 7th. Please let us know if your team needs an invoics before the tournament or if your school wants to pay ahead of time. I will give you an appropriate address to mail a check to.

Register by emailing [email protected] and please indicate how many teams, buzzers and staffers your school is planning to bring.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Re: NAQT Michigan State Championship @MSU 4/7/18

Post by Ciorwrong »

This post is reserved for field updates. Please email me and [email protected] if you register through NAQT's website just so I can keep track of all the teams.

Updated March 22nd

Schools Teams Buzzers
Detroit Catholic Central 4.00 2.00
Farmington Hills Mercy 1.00
Interlochen 1.00 1.00
Ithaca 1.00
Leelanau 1.00
White Cloud 1.00 1.00
Detroit Country Day 2.00 1.00
Troy 2.00 1.00
Marysville 1.00
Okemos 1.00 2.00
Holt 1.00 1.00
Cranbrook Kingswood 2.00 2.00
Plymouth 3.00 2.00
Big Rapids 1.00
Skyline 1.00
Rochester 1.00
TCC 1.00
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I just wanted to confirm that NASAT tryouts are happening after this event. Email or PM me if you are interested and can attend NASAT.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Prelim stats are up and the playoffs are going on right now.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Detroit Catholic Central A beat Detroit Catholic Central B in a well-played, one game final to win the Championship! Playoff stats are here. I had to cancel the NASAT tryout because only four people were interested. This may or may not be our team but please email if you would like to be up for consideration.

This tournament went very well. I would like to give a special thank you to Coach Failor of Traverse City Central for stepping up and reading when a staffer fell ill. We had two teams no show and a team leave at lunch in the middle of the prelims, and we still finished 13 rounds before 6 pm. Thank for everyone for coming and please send me an email if you have any feedback.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired