Scobol Solo October 27, 2018 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo October 27, 2018 (IL)

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Eighteenth Annual Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, October 27, 2018. The tournament is at New Trier High School in either Winnetka or Northfield, just north of Chicago.

Checks should be made payable to Reinstein QuizBowl and mailed to:
Reinstein QuizBowl
PO Box 57
125 Shelter Road
Lincolnshire, IL 60069
If this causes any problems, contact me.

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:30. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $35 per player for the first eight players on your team. If you can supply a moderator, then the cost is only $25 per player for the first eight players, and it is only $15 per player if you have two moderators. I am willing to negotiate if you have more than two moderators. Lunch will be provided for everybody. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. If you wish to enter more than eight players, they will be entered on a standby basis. If there is room for them to play, they will play for free. I will let you know by October 19 how much room we have--we are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are here.

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records.

Please return the attached form with a check. To hold some spaces for your school while your business office is cutting the check, email me at [email protected] or call me at (847)784-6616. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
Attachments
soloentryform18.pdf
(20.56 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Scobol Solo October 27, 2018 (IL)

David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

There are now 105 spots taken and 23 spots open. If you want to play in this tournament, reserve a spot soon.

Also, we are looking for more staffers.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We currently have 117 students, 31 staffers, and 23 buzzers. We're trying to get to 128 students, 34 staffers, and 34 buzzers.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

This tournament is now full. If you want to add a name to the waitlist, let me know.

If the rosters at the link above are wrong in any way, please let me know immediately.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We're having some technical issues that might be helped by taking down public stats pages for now, so I've done that. Sorry! I'll restore them when possible, and we are still keeping track of results internally.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Congratulations to Kevin Kodama of Oak Park and River Forest High School, who won today's Scobol Solo!

The remaining standings are at https://www.scobolsolo.com/2018/, and you can also get to full prelim stats from there—I hope they will be able to stay up even though I haven't yet had a chance to really repair the speed/load issues we had today—and the finals scoresheet.

Thanks to everyone for coming. David Reinstein may have more to say soon, but we hope everyone had a great time!
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stained Diviner
Auron

A huge thanks to the staff yesterday: Nevagay Abel, Kyle Asta, David Brewczynski, Jeff Brigham, Colby Burnett, Ulysses Capistran, Iain Carpenter, Ernesto Cruz, Claudia Danowski, Ben Dillon, Owen Doak, Jason Dutmers, Ryan Fedewa, Andrew Feng, Frank Hannon, D. Matthew Jordan, Mike Kolton, Joe Kulesza, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Sharon Lorinskas, Mitch McCullar, Andrew Nagib, Ali Nagib, Logan Nelson, Katie Parks, Ryan Rosenberg, Michael Sacks, Michael Sorice, Andrew Wang, Matt Welmers, Tiffany White, and Ben Yang. They did a great job keeping the tournament running and being patient when we had some technical issues in the afternoon.

A special thanks to Jonah, whose software worked wonderfully throughout the day and who proofread the set and helped get everything set up in the morning.

Thank you to people who contributed to the set. Mike Laudermith wrote the Biology and Chemistry, Jack Lewis wrote the European History, Christy Jestin wrote the World History, Jonathan Suh wrote half of the Military History, Young Lee wrote the Religion/Myth and all Fine Arts, and Bradley McLain wrote the Social Science/Phiosophy. I have put in a request to create a private forum for the question set--do not comment on specific questions in public.

A huge congratulations to the students--they put up incredible stats throughout the day, made great buzzes in the championship, and repeatedly demonstrated great sportsmanship and supported each other.

As I struggled with my health the last eight months, I hoped that this tournament would be OK. In addition, this was a difficult week to be a part of the Illinois quizbowl community, and yesterday was a difficult day to be an American Jew. I have a lot of gratitude to the people who made the tournament what it should be. I was a surrounded by a lot of wonderful people doing a lot of wonderful things, and it was exactly what I needed.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

There is now a private forum called 2018 Scobol Solo Discussion if you want to discuss questions.
David Reinstein