CANCELLED - Blacksburg High Academic Invitational V (January 12, 2019, Blacksburg, VA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mithokie
Rikku

CANCELLED - Blacksburg High Academic Invitational V (January 12, 2019, Blacksburg, VA)

Post by mithokie »

THIS TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN CANCELLED DUE TO THE FORECAST FOR SNOW THIS WEEKEND. WE WILL EXPLORE A POSSIBLE RE-SCHEDULE FOR A DATE LATER IN THE SPRING.

Blacksburg High School in Blacksburg, VA will host the fifth Blacksburg High Academic Invitational on Saturday January 12, 2019.

The tournament will be mirroring CAST. See the link for more information about the question set. http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 09&t=21421.

The tournament has been gold-certified by PACE, so the top 20% of the field will qualify for PACE-NSC. If we are able to provide a guaranteed nine matches for all teams, then we may be upgraded to platinum-certified status. I am waiting for a final field size before I can guarantee all teams nine matches. All matches will be played in standard 20 toss-ups/20 bonuses format with powers and negs. The tournament format will consist of some form of round-robin bracketed preliminaries followed by a re-bracketed playoffs to give all teams as many meaningful and competitive matches as possible. The exact format will be highly dependent upon the final number of teams in the field.

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Registration Fee $75 for the first team
Subsequent teams $65 each

Possible Fee Reductions:
New to Quizbowl (No Circuit tournaments since 8/2016): -$20
Early Registration (By 12/17/2018): -$10
Experienced Moderator: -$15
Scorekeeper: -$5
Working Buzzer Set: -$5 (No Limit)

Minimum Fee is $40 per team attending.

The field will be updated below as registrations come in.
All teams listed below are from VA unless otherwise indicated.
Last edited by mithokie on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Re: Blacksburg High Academic Invitational V (January 12, 2019, Blacksburg, VA)

Post by mithokie »

A registration form is attached to this post that you can use to register for the tournament. You may also e-mail me with the equivalent information.

We hope to see you in January.

BHS Invitational V 2019 Registration Form.pdf
(160.64 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Matt Beeken
Math Instructional Coach
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
mithokie
Rikku

Re: Blacksburg High Academic Invitational V (January 12, 2019, Blacksburg, VA)

Post by mithokie »

We are actively seeking additional registrations for our tournament this Saturday, January 12. We would love to see you in Blacksburg on Saturday. If you are planning to attend, please make sure you let me know no later than Wednesday 1/9.

However, we are also actively monitoring the potential for a winter storm for the weekend. We will make a final decision about the status of the tournament based upon the final number of registrants and based upon the weather forecast sometime on Thursday, January 10, 2019.
Matt Beeken
Math Instructional Coach
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org