Phillips Academy Winter Tournament II on Dec. 8 (Andover, MA)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Phillips Academy Winter Tournament II on Dec. 8 (Andover, MA)

Post by Ozymandias314 »

Andover Quiz Bowl is happy to announce the Phillips Academy Winter Tournament II (PAWT I) on 8 December 2018.

REGISTRATION
All high school quiz bowl teams are invited to register. Our current field cap is 18 teams. To register your team, use this link provided by naqt: https://www.naqt.com/registration/regis ... &type=TEAM
OR email [email protected] and include the number of teams, staffers, and buzzer systems.

If there are any issues or additional pieces of information, email Vincent Fan at [email protected] as well

LOGISTICS
PAWT will take place on the Phillips Academy Andover campus (180 Main Street, Andover, Mass). We will run check-in from 8:00 to 8:45 AM outside of Kemper Auditorium (on Chapel Street) before convening for a brief opening meeting that will begin the tournament. We would like to begin game-play around 9:00 in Gelb Science Center. The tournament should end around 5 PM. Teams will play a minimum of ten games, should we reach our field cap.

FORMAT
In every round, each team will have the opportunity to answer twenty toss-up questions. The team that answers a given toss-up question correctly will subsequently be given a three-part bonus question to be answered solely by the members of that team. A team may have four active players at a time; up to two alternates are allowed. Schools with seven or more people on a team will be asked to create a second team. Fifteen point powers, no computational math.

LUNCH OPTIONS
We will be selling large pizzas from dominos for 15 dollars, as well as water. Andover Downtown is now fully functional after the gas leaks, so all the normal food options (Domino's, Uburger, etc.) are all available for teams as well.

THE SET
PAWT will be using IS-179.

NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS
The top 15% of the field will be qualified for HSNCT. We are proud to announce that we have received Platinum certification from PACE, which means that the top 25% of the field will be qualified for the NSC.

FEES
The fees for this tournament are as follows:

$80 for the first team
$75 for all other teams
$60 per new team ($20 discount)(i.e. from a school that has not played in a pyramidal tournament in the past year)
−$5 discount per working buzzer system
−$10 discount per staffer provided

Cash and checks are acceptable forms of payment. Please make all checks out to “Trustees of Phillips Academy”, and include "Andover Quiz Bowl" in the memo section.

We hope to see you there!
Last edited by Ozymandias314 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Fan
Phillips Academy '20 (Captain 2018-2020)
MIT '24
Yes yes yes, I started "is quinterest.org down?"
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Re: Phillips Academy Winter Tournament II on Dec. 8 (Andover, MA)

Post by Ozymandias314 »

Current Field (Teams/Buzzers/Staffers)
AB (1/1/0)
AMSA (2/2/1)
Andover High (2/1/0)
Barrington (1/0/0)
Belmont (2/2/0)
BLS (1/2/0)
Concord Carlisle (1/0/0)
Hingham (1/1/1)
Lexington (3/0/0)
Sharon (2/2/0)
Westford (1/0/0)
House (1/x/x)
Total (18/11/2)

Waitlist
Lexington D
Last edited by Ozymandias314 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vincent Fan
MIT '24
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Post by Ozymandias314 »

The field is now full so all subsequent teams will be placed on a first come first serve wait list. I will send out an email in a few days with additional details about the tournament.
Vincent Fan
MIT '24
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Post by Ozymandias314 »

The final results are as follows:

Lexington A
Belmont B
Barrington
Boston Latin
Lexington B
AMSA A
Belmont B
A-B
Andover A
Sharon A
Hingham
Lexington C
Concord Carlisle
AMSA B
Westford
Sharon B
Andover B
Phillips Academy

Thanks to everyone who came!

Finalized stats have also been uploaded.
Vincent Fan
MIT '24