Auburn Invitational Tournament-2/16/19-IS 181 (Auburn, AL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Auburn Invitational Tournament-2/16/19-IS 181 (Auburn, AL)

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

I am pleased to announce that the second annual Auburn Invitational Tournamentwill be held on Saturday, February 16th, 2019. The tournament will be hosted on the Auburn University campus in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). This tournament will be open to all interested high school (and middle school, if desired) teams from Alabama and beyond.

QUESTIONS: This tournament will use NAQT set #IS-181. This event will be a qualifier for NAQT's High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT) in Atlanta, GA from May 24-26, NAQT's Small School National Championship Tournament (SSNCT) in Rosemont, IL, and will also seek to become a PACE NSC qualifier. This set will also be used at Covenant Christian Academy in Huntsville, so teams north of Birmingham may want to consider that tournament. This is a regular difficulty high school question set which will be appropriate for experienced teams and newcomers alike.

LOCATION, PARKING, TIME:
This tournament will take place in the Haley Center (351 W Thach Concourse, Auburn, AL 36849). The closest available parking will be the navy and pink lot marked "D" on this map: http://media.al.com/montgomery/photo/pa ... 8e08d9.jpg. Parking on campus is free on weekends. From there, follow Heisman Drive across from the stadium and it will take you to the Haley Center. It is very old and brick.

We ask that teams arrive between 8:15-8:40 A.M. on the day of the tournament. Expect an opening meeting and games to begin shortly thereafter. This tournament should end no later than 5:00 P.M. for all teams not playing in finals.

FIELD AND FORMAT:
For now, we will cap the field at 20 teams. If there is sufficient interest, we will attempt to expand and should be able to.

Format is TBD based on field size, but we will try to guarantee every team at least 9 games.

We are once again open to having a separate JV division if there is sufficient interest (at least 6 JV teams), so please indicate if you are registering JV teams and would be interested in them playing in a separate division.

RULES:
This tournament will follow standard NAQT rules, except rounds will be untimed 20/20 with comp math tossups removed. Powers (15) and negs (-5) will be in effect, and no worksheets will be used. Bonuses will not bounce back. Teams will be limited to a maximum of six players. Schools with more players should register an additional team.

FEES:
$70 for the first team from a school
$65 for each additional team from a school
-$5 for each WORKING buzzer set a school brings (no limit!).
PLEASE BRING YOUR BUZZERS.
-$15 for each capable moderator (not scorekeeper) from a school.
-$10 for each scorekeeper from a school
-$10 per team for a school traveling more than 150 miles (one way).
-$20 for a team that is new to quiz bowl (defined as not having played a tournament for two years prior to September 1, 2018).
Minimum fee: $40
Minimum fee for new teams: $25
If money is an issue, contact me about it. I'm sure we can work something out and make it possible for your team to play.

Email me at [email protected] to register. Include "Auburn Invitational Tournament" in the subject. Include how many teams, buzzers, etc. you intend to bring.

PAYMENT:
We can accept cash or checks on the day of the tournament. Please make checks out to "Auburn Quiz Bowl" and not me personally/the university.

QUESTIONS/CONCERNS:
Any other questions, comments, or concerns can be posted below, or emailed to me at [email protected].

We hope to see lots of teams on the Plains on February 16!
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: Auburn Invitational Tournament-2/16/18-IS 181 (Auburn, AL)

This post reserved for field updates

Field:
Altamont (1/0/0)
Auburn High (1/1/0)
Hoover (2/?/?)
Long Beach [MS] (2/0/0)
Stratford Academy [GA] (2/1/0)
Vestavia Hills (1/0/0)

Last updated 2/12/19
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
zxc
Lulu

Re: Auburn Invitational Tournament-2/16/19-IS 181 (Auburn, AL)

Post by zxc »

Can we please get a field update? And when is the deadline for registration? Thank you.
Walter Zhang
Vestavia Hills 19
Brown 23, 23
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Zerowaltz wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:00 pm Can we please get a field update? And when is the deadline for registration? Thank you.
Field:
Auburn (1)
Smiths Station (2; probably)

Register as soon as you're 100% coming, preferably at least one week before the tournament
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

This happened today! Full stats can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/56 ... _final%29/.

Altamont defeated Vestavia Hills 365-360 in the second game of a thrilling advantaged finals series. Congrats to both Altamont and Vestavia, and to Hoover A for finishing 3rd!

Thanks to all of the teams for coming today, and I hope everyone had a good time. I thought things ran pretty smoothly during the day, though I do apologize for my lack of organization ahead of time.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20