Midwest Championship - 4/6/19, Stevenson HS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Midwest Championship - 4/6/19, Stevenson HS

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hello, all! This is a preliminary announcement for this year's Midwest Championship. Thank you to Ryan Fedewa and Stevenson High School for graciously offering to host, and to the University of Illinois team and its assistants for writing the ILLIAC set, our entertainment for the day. I will be serving as tournament director, and I'm looking forward to an outstanding day of competition.

A full posting of the usual details - start time, cost, field cap, etc. - will be made shortly, after I've finished the final polishing touches on the IHSA State question set. In the meantime, teams can be assured that the event will offer a maximum possible amount of competition against top-tier teams and will serve as great preparation for Nationals.

If you are interested in registering for the tournament, please contact Ryan Fedewa at <[email protected]> to reserve your spot.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Midwest Championship - 4/6/19, Stevenson HS

Hello! I'd like to invite you and your team to attend the Midwest Championship, held at Stevenson High School in Lincolnshire, Illinois on Saturday, April 6th. We'll be playing on the ILLIAC set, which was written by members of the University of Illinois' team to play at a difficulty level comparable to "ACF Fall-plus:" that is, slightly harder than ACF Fall but easier than regular collegiate difficulty. Put another way, this set will be an excellent preparation tool for Nationals.

The tournament will take place from roughly 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM, with the narrow possibility that finals games may push the end time past 5:30 for the top few teams. Depending on field size, we'll probably be playing a full round robin, or playing balanced prelim pools followed by bracketed playoff pools.

A field update will be maintained in this forum thread.

The cost for the tournament will be $90; this includes a pizza and salad lunch from Lou Malnati's, which will be enjoyed on-site to cut down on the length of the lunch break. Checks can be made out to "Stevenson High School."
Teams bringing a fully functional buzzer system will receive a $5 discount, limit one per team (not per school).
Teams bringing an experienced moderator will receive a $25 discount, no limit. You must let me know who your moderator will be, so that I can verify that we can use their help.
If finances would pose a challenge to your attendance at this tournament, please let me know; I would love to help.

If you would like to attend, e-mail me ([email protected]) and/or Ryan Fedewa ([email protected]) with your school's name, number of teams/buzzers/staffers, and any questions you may have.

I hope to see you there!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Field update!

Stevenson A
Stevenson B
Fremd A
Fremd B
Auburn A
Auburn B
Palatine A
Palatine B
Sandburg A
Sandburg B
Sandburg C
Belvidere
Barrington
IMSA
Hinsdale Central
Naperville North
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Field update above; we're at 16 teams and closing the field there. If you're interested in playing, e-mail me to get on the waitlist.

Teams and staffers will be receiving an informational e-mail later tonight!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Congratulations to IMSA, the winners of the 2019 Midwest Championship! Full stats are available here.

Thank you to everyone who came out to staff and compete, and to UIUC for a fantastic set of questions! Enjoy nationals season, everyone!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)