NHBB Provisional Writer Program

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

NHBB Provisional Writer Program

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I'm excited to announce NHBB's new program for training and hiring new question writers! (If you're already an experienced writer and/or editor and are interested in working with NHBB for the 2015-16 season, I've got an announcement coming for you in mid-August.)

The Provisional Writer Program is intended to train novice writers in the important rules and guidelines of pyramidal question writing. Provisional writers will receive specific, constructive advice on their questions as they learn from a progressive curriculum designed to develop question writing skills from their prior quizbowl experience. Upon successful completion of the program, provisional writers will become full writers for the NHBB 2015-16 season.

The Structure of the Program
The program is roughly one month long, with writers submitting 20 total questions. After their five question application to the program, provisional writers complete a twelve-question writing curriculum. These questions are written one-at-a-time, receiving specific advice and direction for re-writing (if necessary) before the writer moves on to the next question. Finally, the provisional writer writes three final questions to display what they've learned in the program. Writers who complete the program will be hired as NHBB writers for the 2015-16 season, and all 20 of the questions written in the program will be purchased by NHBB for use in our sets.

Who Should Apply?
At present, the program is intended to teach question writing skills to those with some baseline understanding of the structure of pyramidal quizbowl questions -- generally speaking, two years or more of playing, coaching, and/or moderating events (whether NHBB or all-subject pyramidal quizbowl) is enough to reach that level. In the future, lessons will expand to cover the basics of pyramidal quizbowl.

You must at least be in high school in the 2015-16 academic year to participate in the Provisional Writer Program (and, in general, to write for NHBB this year). All high school-difficulty questions written by high school students will be stockpiled until after their graduation.

Writers with significant prior experience do not need to enter the Provisional Writer Program. Experienced writers interested in working for NHBB in the 2015-16 season are encouraged to e-mail me an application of five tossups and a brief list of their writing and/or editing experiences. If you've had minor writing experience and aren't sure if you need to participate in the Provisional Writer Program, e-mail me at [email protected] and we'll figure it out.

How to Apply
E-mail me at [email protected] with the subject line "Provisional Writer Program." Tell me your name, school affiliation, year in school (if applicable), and detail your quizbowl experience (playing, writing, moderating, coaching, etc.), and include your initial five tossups. Applications must be received by 11:59 PM (Eastern time zone) on Sunday, August 2nd to be considered for this first iteration of the program.

The first iteration of the program is limited to 25 participants. It will begin Monday, August 3rd and finish Friday, August 28th. If I receive more than 25 applications (and I very possibly may; over a dozen people have already e-mailed me over the last month interested in this program), priority will be based on quality of the first five submissions, with those not admitted to the first iteration given priority admittance in future iterations, which will take place as we can provide; I'm thinking about one in May 2016, and possibly one in December 2015 if demand for it and supply of editing time allow.

If you have any questions about the Provisional Writer Program, post in this thread or e-mail me at [email protected].
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: NHBB Provisional Writer Program

Applications are still open for another 12 hours. We do have well more than 25 already; everyone should be receiving an e-mail late tonight, saying either "You've been accepted" or "Apologies, but we'll be in contact for future programs."
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: NHBB Provisional Writer Program

E-mails have been sent; thank you to all 37 of our applicants!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)