NHBB NJ States at Ridgewood HS (1/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

NHBB NJ States at Ridgewood HS (1/16)

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB held its 2016 NJ State Championships on Jan. 16 at Ridgewood High School in Ridgewood, NJ. With 84 teams competing (50 Varsity, 34 JV), this was our best-attended state or regional tournament ever (and overall, this was our busiest regional weekend ever with over 200 teams competing at 8 sites in the USA, plus another 27 teams at IHBB Tokyo in Japan). The champions in Ridgewood were:
Varsity History Bee
Gold: Emmett Laurie, East Brunswick High School (East Brunswick, NJ)
Silver: Andrew Huang, High Technology High School (Lincroft, NJ)
Bronze: Samuel Kao, High Technology High School (Lincroft, NJ)

Junior Varsity History Bee
Gold: Nathan Finn, Leonia High School (Leonia, NJ)
Silver: Andre Altherr, Hunter College High School (New York, NY)
Bronze: Daniel Ma, Hunter College High School (New York, NY)

Varsity History Bowl
Hunter College High A defeated High Tech in the final

JV History Bowl
Hunter College High B defeated Newark Academy (Livingston, NJ) in the final

A big thank you to Jon Pinyan and Andrew Ibendahl on stats, Ben Zhang, Maggie Larkin, Marisol Brady, David Song of Rutgers, Tom Kelso, Ed Goralski, Rohit Prakash, Debi Carter, and my parents for coming to volunteer, to the Ridgewood A.M and P.M. Rotary Clubs and RHS Project Interact for providing 20+ volunteers as well, to Laura Fleming and RHS for hosting for 7 years in a row, and to everyone who helped read and scorekeep. Feel free to chime in with any thoughts on the day / suggestions for next year. In particular, I'm open to comments on the Bee finals format - I acknowledge that in terms of questions, it's a bit short, but part of that is having 75 bee finals questions in the packet, a limited amount of time to run the Bee finals, and wanting to run the final stages of the JV and Varsity Bee Finals in the auditorium so all can watch. We also will get the projector working next year - it was a new system, and I hadn't been alerted to that in advance, but that's an easy fix. Otherwise, I thought things went very well, and I look forward to continuing to build and develop this tournament. On Friday, I scouted out the school, and we can basically run up to a 150 team tournament here. On current trendlines, we'll be there around 2020 and I look forward to many more great renditions of this event in the decades to come.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad