National History Bee, USHB, USGO Deadline Now 11:59 EDT 4/13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

National History Bee, USHB, USGO Deadline Now 11:59 EDT 4/13

Post by Great Bustard »

For all individual events (edit 4/8) aside from the National Sports History Bee and National Entertainment History Bee at NHBB/USGO Nationals (i.e. National History Bee, US History Bee, US Geography Olympiad), we have extended the registration deadline to Wednesday, April 13 at 11:59pm EDT. If you would like to take a version or versions of the US History Bee and/or US Geography Olympiad National Qualifying Exam you haven't yet taken for a final chance to qualify, please contact [email protected] as soon as possible to have it administered at your school!
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
bluejay123
Lulu

Re: National History Bee, USHB, USGO Deadline Now 11:59 EDT

Post by bluejay123 »

Mr. Madden:
After reading the updated rules for the USHB and the Bee, I was just wondering what your reasoning was in changing the rules.
Personally, (and I don't want/intend this to come off as rude; I respect you and everything that you are trying to promote) I feel that the new rules may lead to confusion (especially due to the plethora of rooms, moderators, and competitors), as to where the moderator stopped reading.
Additionally, what was wrong with last year's rules that made you change them? Is it due to people "killing" questions, or the fact that knowledge from an early buzz was not rewarded sufficiently under last year's rules?
Jaya Alagar
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: National History Bee, USHB, USGO Deadline Now 11:59 EDT

Post by Great Bustard »

Hi Jaya,
We've clarified the rules for the Bee and the other individual events at Nationals in the first pre-Nationals email that went out last week. Basically, we'll be using the same rules as in the past after all, except for during the playoffs. In the playoffs, where we have a limited number of rooms and will have enough staff to perform double checks with the new scoring system, the new system will enhance the strategic side of the game, and help to reward knowledge to the best extent possible (i.e. encouraging educated guesses on buzzes, but discouraging question killing and random guesses). Our webmaster is in the process of updating the rules on all websites (NHBB, USGO, USHB) over the weekend.
The Sports and Entertainment Bee finals may or may not use the new system - we're waiting to see final turnout numbers before proceeding there.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad