Clarifying what "NHBB" should be used to refer to

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

Clarifying what "NHBB" should be used to refer to

Post by Great Bustard »

"NHBB" as a four letter acronym should be used to refer solely to the Varsity and Junior Varsity divisions of the National History Bee and the National History Bowl. You are welcome to use it to refer to the company that also oversees the US Academic Bee and Bowl, the International History Bee and Bowl, the International History Olympiad, and the US History Bee as currently, all of that is overseen under the same structure as the Varsity and JV Divisions of the National History Bee and National History Bowl.

Please do not, however, use the term "NHBB" to refer to the middle and elementary school division of the National History Bee and the National History Bowl which are currently overseen by ACE. Call those ACE, call them the EMS divisions of the National History Bee and Bowl, or something else altogether that's clear at what's being referred to, but calling those NHBB for now effective implies that I oversee them, which I currently do not. I get that this is confusing, and I'm in the process of figuring out a better way to sort this all out, but if everyone can follow this for now, it will help to clarify things.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Cheynem
Sin

Re: Clarifying what "NHBB" should be used to refer to

Post by Cheynem »

Do you have anything at all to do with them? Does NHBB? Why, then, are they considered a division of the National History Bee and Bowl and not separate entities altogether?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
centralhs
Wakka

Re: Clarifying what "NHBB" should be used to refer to

Post by centralhs »

If NHBB and the Elementary/Middle School History Bee and Bowl are entirely separate events, then the NHBB website doesn't make this very clear. On the NHBB website, there are dropdown links under "Other Events" for pages entitled "Elementary and Middle School History Bee" and "Elementary and Middle School History Bowl". The National History Bee and Bowl logo comes up on both of those pages. There are several other places on the NHBB website that refer to the "NHBB: High School Division" and "NHBB: Middle and Elementary School Division" as if those were two parts of the same whole. Until the discussion on the forum following the event, I had no idea that the JV/Varsity NHBB and the ES/MS History Bowl and Bee (whatever it is called) were being run by different groups. I doubt that most other middle school coaches did either.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)