MS History Bee ORQE???

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Robbie Ram
Wakka

MS History Bee ORQE???

Post by Robbie Ram »

Anyone know the status of the MS National History Bee's Online Regional Qualifying Exam (ORQE)? According to their website ( historybee.com ), the ORQE is supposed to be administered Dec. 5th - 28th, but their online exam portal is not active as of now (9:00 AM on Dec. 8th)! I have tried emailing and calling via their contact info (on the web page), but with no response so far. They took our team's registration fee, so I'm assuming there's still *somebody* in charge over there... can anyone shed some light on the situation? Thanks!

[Edit:] Aaaaannnddd... now (as of 12 PM on 12/8) the History Bee website and ACEQB websites in general are completely offline. Coincidence? Do I take this a s a good sign or a really bad sign?

Anyone? Anyone?? Bueller?
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
bdavery
Lulu

Re: MS History Bee ORQE???

Post by bdavery »

In past years with 3 of my own kids, the exam has always been in January. They announced postmark deadline for this year's entries as Dec 9 (and I just sent my kid's in), so by that, they wouldn't know who all to give the exams to until the end of next week anyway. For all I know, they may have the site down now so they can load the exam onto the site.

It would be really bad planning, IMHO, to schedule something big like that during the Christmas break, so I'm thinking they didn't do that.
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Michael - Yes, the site was indeed down for a few hours to upload the Online Exam and test/troubleshoot the system. Everything should be available now through your Sponsor Home at historybee.com. The Exam period will run through January 6th, giving everyone roughly a month to make plans for the Exam. I'm sorry that you weren't able to get in touch with us - we don't have any record of calls or emails from you this week. Just know that, as a former ACE staffer and history bee host, you're still welcome to contact me and/or Eric personally at any time if you need anything at all. Thanks and good luck!
Nick
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

Thanks, Nick... the ORQE seems to be back up and running. Can I suggest that you and/or Eric update the contact info telephone number on the historybee.com website? It doesn't seem to be a valid number anymore and just sends a prospective caller to some random Google voicemail "box". I also would suggest that you may want to list the current ACE QB staffers somewhere on the main ACE QB web page (and/or the historybee.com page or other ACE subsidiary pages); I would have called one of you directly if I had been sure you were still at ACE, but there's currently no list of ACE staffers on any of the ACE websites— or at least not that I could find.
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

The decision to hold the Chicago North (and South, for that matter) regionals during what is typically Spring Break for... everybody, is going to make it difficult to find a host school for the regionals. Station will be closed, and I'll be out-of-town. On the plus side, with fewer kids around, you won't need as large of a venue as you might need, otherwise.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------