2017-18 NHBB Season: Opening Announcements

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

2017-18 NHBB Season: Opening Announcements

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The 2017-18 NHBB competition season began in Honolulu this Saturday, and we're looking forward to a fantastic year! We have a few announcements as the year begins.

First, NHBB events are part of the new International Academic Competitions network. This doesn't really change how anything operates - it just makes it easier to identify the various tournaments run under our auspices in the US and around the world. The new IAC website showcases all of the different events we run for different age groups in the USA, and for students in other parts of the world.

Among those events are next summer's third International History Olympiad (July 14-22) and inaugural International Geography Bee World Championships (July 11-17). These events will be held in Berlin, Germany, and overlap by design to allow players who have qualified both to attend both.

Both the Olympiad and the IGB World Championships will consist of numerous buzzer-based tournaments, other competitions (exams, games, a treasure hunt, historical and geographical simulations, etc.), lots of sightseeing opportunities, and a chance to meet, compete against, and make friends with other top history and geography students from around the world. See http://www.historyolympiad.com and the links on the World Championships tab at http://www.internationalgeographybee.com for all the details, and we hope you’ll be able to join us!

Second, in the US, we have a few staff announcements.
*First, we are pleased to welcome Michael Borecki (Bowdoin College) as our new Northeast Regional Coordinator! Michael will be responsible for handling events in New England and most events in New York.
*Second, we're re-organizing some of NHBB's administration. David Madden will be focusing significantly on IAC work abroad (both with IHO/IGB Worlds and with IHBB in general), while serving as the tournament director of NHBB Nationals and some regional events. Marshall Mullins is now the Director of Logistics, in addition to his work as lead NHBB Tournament Coordinator. Finally, Jason Russell is assuming the role of Director of Operations for our Varsity and JV Divisions in the USA, in addition to his work as NHBB Nationals Staff Director. If you have any questions about NHBB regional events or staffing our Varsity & JV National Championships on April 27-29, 2018, please e-mail Jason at [email protected].

Here's to a great season!
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
bmcke
Wakka

Re: 2017-18 NHBB Season: Opening Announcements

Post by bmcke »

The name "International Academic Competitions" seems intended to make IAC sound like an international sports federation or a nonprofit governing body.
IAC Website -- About IAC wrote:International Academic Competitions is a consortium of competitions for primary and secondary students
I looked up the word "consortium" and it means partnership, which I think IAC is not. Could IAC just call itself a business?

(I still think IHBB is cool and good. I look forward to their events this winter.)
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I guess the idea is more informal than you're describing - the different competitions within IAC share some staff & other resources, and some of the competitions are directly related (NHBB players can qualify for IHO but that's not the only way, etc.).

Mostly, though - it's been sufficiently confusing to say things like "I work for NHBB" when most of the things we run aren't Bowls, some of them aren't Bees, some of them aren't History, and some of them are International. Each competition has its own individual focus, so having an all-encompassing brand will help clear things up a bit, especially with regards to players qualifying for IHO and the IGB World Championships from different competitions.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

I realize now that NAQT has a pretty similar name, for what is also just a business running their own events. So maybe I will back away from my complaints here.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011