2012-2013 Collaboration Thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dominator
Tidus

2012-2013 Collaboration Thread

Post by Dominator »

By popular demand, here is a thread for teams interested in collaborating on housewrites for the 2012-13 season. Please post here if you plan to write a set for next year or if you would be interested in collaborating on one.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

Dominator
Tidus

Re: 2012-2013 Collaboration Thread

Post by Dominator »

To start things off, I am offering the third iteration of IMSANITY. Our goal with IMSANITY is a tournament which aims to be regular difficulty in the sense of high conversion overall but not afraid to ask harder answer lines in reasonable moderation. Questions, especially bonuses, will feel unique, but more due to creative themes than to increased difficulty. IMSANITY has sought to be a leader with noncomputational math questions.

The first two iterations of IMSANITY were run in early January, but I would like to see the third one available for the late fall.

There is lots of room for negotiation with potential collaborators, including the precise question distribution, writing and editing responsibilities, and financial arrangement. If anyone is interested, please post here or email me.
Dr. Noah Prince

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I would be perfectly willing to help out with the history editing, if you would like the help, Dr. Prince.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Douglas Freeman High School and New Kent High School are collaborating and are seeking out a team interested in writing 2-3 packets for a tournament set in exchange for a free mirror and a percentage of mirror fees, of a set that will be edited by me, to be intended for use beginning in January 2013. As such, expect it to be similar in intended difficulty to my work on the 2011 VCU-'Bilt set. Experience on previous sets is preferred but not a necessity.

Interested parties should contact me.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is probably more of a theory thing, but I'll stick it here anyway - in terms of quality, number of packets, and market dilution, I'd suggest that more teams work together to produce sets next season.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Bumping this, now that teams are starting to plan for 2012-3.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I will head a group that writes 400 tossups for Scobol Solo, which will be 14 regular rounds of 20 questions each and 1 difficult round of 60 questions (plus assorted extra questions). If anybody wants to contribute tossups in exchange for free mirroring, or if anybody wants to write enough bonuses to turn this into a regular set in exchange for free mirroring, let me know. Past sets are at the packet archive.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Scaled Flowerpiercer
Wakka

Post by Scaled Flowerpiercer »

Leucippe and Clitophon wrote:I will head a group that writes 400 tossups for Scobol Solo, which will be 14 regular rounds of 20 questions each and 1 difficult round of 60 questions (plus assorted extra questions). If anybody wants to contribute tossups in exchange for free mirroring, or if anybody wants to write enough bonuses to turn this into a regular set in exchange for free mirroring, let me know. Past sets are at the packet archive.
I might be interested in helping out with this, I am not very experienced in writing but I think I could be of help - but I was wondering if free mirroring could be transferred to old schools, that is if I, as a graduated senior who will be at college next year, decided to help out on this or some other set, could my high school mirror it for free?
Samuel Donow
Irvington High School '12
Williams College '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Yes
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

I haven't seen any information about it yet, but am I right in assuming that there will be another iteration of the always-excellent Fall Novice set?
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Maxwell's Sexual Relations
Lulu

Post by Maxwell's Sexual Relations »

EDIT: never mind delete
Last edited by Maxwell's Sexual Relations on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb Kendrick aka"Ghostface Killah"

Norman North (OK) (2010-2015)
Trinity Junior (AR) (2009-2010)
~Oklahoma Quiz Bowl Alliance~
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

jonathanmarx wrote:I haven't seen any information about it yet, but am I right in assuming that there will be another iteration of the always-excellent Fall Novice set?
What a puckish satire of contemporary mores.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

Oakland Mills is trying to write a tournament for hopefully sometime this spring, and would love some help. Email or PM me for questions.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

St Joseph (IN) is trying to write a tournament of above IS difficulty for late February early March and we badly need a science editor. So pm or email me if you'd be willing to do that or want to mirror the set.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Euler's Constant wrote:St Joseph (IN) is trying to write a tournament of above IS difficulty for late February early March and we badly need a science editor. So pm or email me if you'd be willing to do that or want to mirror the set.
Does Indiana have a circuit that's really up for a tournament of above IS set difficulty? It seems like there are only a couple schools there who are really on board with good quizbowl, and that IS sets for the most part would be the upper bound on difficulty I would think would be productive for attracting new teams in the area to good quizbowl.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Horned Screamer wrote:
Euler's Constant wrote:St Joseph (IN) is trying to write a tournament of above IS difficulty for late February early March and we badly need a science editor. So pm or email me if you'd be willing to do that or want to mirror the set.
Does Indiana have a circuit that's really up for a tournament of above IS set difficulty? It seems like there are only a couple schools there who are really on board with good quizbowl, and that IS sets for the most part would be the upper bound on difficulty I would think would be productive for attracting new teams in the area to good quizbowl.
You don't even need to narrow it down to "Indiana" - enough "regular" housewritten sets hit "harder than IS" each year that *we* don't need a tournament aiming hard and hitting impossible. That *we* refers not to Indiana, not to "the midwest," but to "the entire national quizbowl circuit."

I'd suggest finding a science editor whose team is willing to help write -- because woohoo, collaboration! -- and teaming up to write a set that strives to hit "regular difficulty." It'll be a better set overall, and will probably earn you guys mirror fees from other national sites.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Brad hit the nail on the head. This thread is threatening to become a "hey, we're announcing a tournament we're not fully able or qualified to write" thread instead of a "hey, we're interested in writing a tournament but are not fully able or qualified - would anyone wanna team up?" thread. Not only will active purposeful collaboration reduce the burden on teams writing, but it will lead to higher quality sets, AND not flood the market with sets of similar goals but less-than-stellar execution (off of which no one really makes money).
Dr. Noah Prince

Yeah, obviously I agree with all of you and that's sort of been my intention from the get go with that post, but really, doing anything other than "regular" in Indiana seems like an especially poor place to do that.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

Horned Screamer wrote:Yeah, obviously I agree with all of you and that's sort of been my intention from the get go with that post, but really, doing anything other than "regular" in Indiana seems like an especially poor place to do that.
In addition, housewritten sets from high schoolers almost always underestimate their difficulty. If SJ (for whatever reason) wants to produce something a little above regular, it should try its darnedest to write it at regular difficulty and it might just hit the original goal.
Dr. Noah Prince

Euler's Constant
Lulu

Post by Euler's Constant »

Having looked at the uproar my post has caused, and looking around at last year's sets I realize that producing an above difficultly set is not needed. That being said St. Joseph will produce an IS difficulty set this year. If someone is willing to supervise the difficulty and quality of the set we would be more than willing to accept that help in order to insure that we produce a good set.

Charlie I think you slightly misunderstand the problems with Indiana quizbowl. I believe that the issue lies less in the skill level of teams and more in lack of willingness or ability to travel as well as Chip's continued hold on all of the southern half of the State, but that discussion is for the Indiana subform.
Nicholas Wawrykow
Saint Joseph('s) High School (IN) '13
Yale '17

Trust me, I don't misunderstand the problem. The problem is that not enough pyramidal tournaments are being run, lots of Chip tournaments are, and lots of teams who are used to the Chip tournaments think that pyramidal questions are too difficult and too long. This is the struggle everywhere. Having hard pyramidal tournaments reinforces both of those complaints and makes it harder than ever to overcome that stigma - if you have completely accessible pyramidal sets like what HSAPQ writes, it makes the long questions suddenly seem playable and undercuts the argument that the sets are too difficult. And trust me, Chip coaches I'm sure are saying that, yeah, the questions are too difficult, because they're hearing line after line of clues they've never heard.

tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

I've got a group of high school students and novice college students showing up for summer practice.

Is there a tournament looking for a packet we can contribute to?
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
DoWon.Kim
Lulu

Post by DoWon.Kim »

Torrey Pines would like to continue its housewrite a third year. Granted, we were not entirely well-received last year (much of the criticism can be found on forums / criticisms from editors show that most of the fact-errors and carelessness were from Richard Montgomery's questions, and Torrey Pines was forced to hurry due to a last minute notice from Richard Montgomery about a mirror).

Would any schools be interested in a collaboration? We have begun writing questions from the beginning of summer and would be willing to contribute to an ongoing housewrite. (Also considering George Berry's edited set). Please message me, if interested.
DoWon Dan Kim
Torrey Pines High School '14
NAQT Writer '11 - present
Stained Diviner
Auron

Scobol Solo will be used this Saturday. Unless somebody expresses interest in using it at a later date, I will post it very soon after it is used.
David Reinstein
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

While it may seem a bit late, I would like to say that Fisher Catholic is interested in contributing questions to any tournament (that we likely won't end up playing) that needs stuff written. We can be good for a few packets, or writing n amount of questions on topics that need written. Feel free to message me or email me at tdmoore7[NOSPAM]@gmail.com I do acknowledge that this is like, the 200th time a high school quiz bowler has exclaimed such interest in writing quiz bowl questions within the past six months, but I would like to mention that we wouldn't have an interest in mirroring the set itself, and any monies we would get (we would be cool with doing it for free) from said writing would help support our team. For anyone who has a reservation about either myself or my teammates and our respective question writing abilities, contact me and I can show you what I've written that was played last year.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

DoWon.Kim wrote:Torrey Pines would like to continue its housewrite a third year. Granted, we were not entirely well-received last year (much of the criticism can be found on forums / criticisms from editors show that most of the fact-errors and carelessness were from Richard Montgomery's questions, and Torrey Pines was forced to hurry due to a last minute notice from Richard Montgomery about a mirror).
I'd just like to say that even if the lack of communication was to be blamed on Richard Montgomery's side that the questions written by Torrey Pines writers had JUST as many issues as the ones from RM and you really shouldn't be trying to push all the blame on them.
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Hi, I'd like to contribute if anyone needs. I'm still kind of new to writing, though.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19