FACTS, A CSW and TJ Housewrite/Packet Submission

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
elyne road
Lulu

FACTS, A CSW and TJ Housewrite/Packet Submission

Post by elyne road »

The Charter School of Wilmington (Wilmington, DE) and Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (Alexandria, VA) are pleased to announce the Fall Academic Charter and TJ Set (FACTS), a housewritten/packet submission-based, high school regular-plus difficulty set for the upcoming school year. 10 rounds of the set will be written by members of the TJ and Charter Academic Bowl teams, with the remaining rounds accepted as submissions to the set on a first-come, first-served basis. We encourage teams to collaborate on packets and may merge submissions if we receive too many.

This set will consist of 16 rounds of 20 power-marked tossups, each 6-7 lines (favoring lengths closer to 6) of 10 point Times New Roman font, as well as 20 three-part bonuses, with no more than 2 lines per part. Each round will also include one tiebreaker tossup and bonus, drawn from either History, Literature or Science.

Literature in this set will be edited by Shrayus Sortur (currently Georgetown University and formerly of Wilmington Charter), History and Geography will be edited by Jakob Myers (currently Michigan State University and formerly of Naperville North), Social Science and RMP will be edited by Clark Smith (currently Dublin Scioto), and Science and Fine Arts will be edited by Ryan Golant (currently Princeton University and formerly of TJ), who will also serve as the head editor of this set.

The distribution for this set will be as follows:

History (4.0/4.0):
  • American (1.0/1.0)
    World (1.0/1.0)
    European/British/Ancient (2.0/2.0)
Literature (4.0/4.0):
  • American (1.0/1.0)
    European (1.0/1.0)
    British (1.0/1.0)
    World/Ancient/Misc. (1.0/1.0)
Science (4.0/4.0):
  • Biology (1.0/1.0)
    Chemistry (1.0/1.0)
    Physics (1.0/1.0)
    Math (non-computational)/Computer Science/Other (1.0/1.0)
Fine Arts (3.0/3.0):
  • Painting/Drawing + Sculpture (1.0/1.0)
    Auditory Classical (1.0/1.0)
    Audiovisual (opera, ballet, film) + Other Art (jazz, photography, performance art, etc.) (1.0/1.0)
Social Sciences (economics, psychology, anthropology, etc.) (0.5/0.5)
RMP (2.5/2.5):
  • Religion (1.0/1.0)
    Mythology (1.0/1.0)
    Philosophy (0.5/0.5)
Trash (0.5/0.5)
Current Events (0.5/0.5)
Geography (1.0/1.0)

The set will be available for mirroring after 28th of October until a week before NAQT HSNCT. The mirror fee will be $10 per non-house team that plays the set. For high schools that have not hosted a tournament within the past 5 years, the fee will be lowered to $8 per non-house team. For hosts mirroring FACTS, there will be no fee applied to teams receiving a discount.

Teams whose packets are accepted and used in the final set will receive various discounts, which will increase if the packet is accepted for use earlier. We will offer a 60% discount off of the total fee to teams which submit an acceptable packet before midnight on August 31st, 40% for teams that submit packets by the deadline, and 20% for packets which require extensive editing. We may close packet submission for this set if we receive more than necessary, and we will provide an update in the form of a reply on this thread in that event. The base fee for registration will be $80 at the main sites of this tournament, so a team submitting a completed packet (including powermarks and writing credits) before August 31st can expect to pay at most $32 for registration at either site, as long as the packet is of an acceptable quality. Teams should also note that we are extending these discounts to any team which attends a mirror of the set. We may send incomplete or insufficient packets back to their respective teams for improvements if need be, just note that in such a case, the discount may be modified depending on when the team resubmits their packet.

Regarding packet submission, up to three teams or schools can collaborate on a single packet to submit for use in this set. If you, your team, or your collaborators would like to submit a packet, please do so before midnight of September 30th by emailing us at [email protected].

If you have any questions, feel free to email [email protected].
Last edited by elyne road on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
jdpasspawn
Wakka

Re: FACTS, A CSW and TJ Housewrite/Packet Submission

Post by jdpasspawn »

I would definitely be interested in playing/writing a packet if a mirror was within driving distance
Jack Lewis
'18 Battle Ground Academy
'24 Middle Tennessee State University
CommerceGAQuizcats
Lulu

Post by CommerceGAQuizcats »

We would love to mirror this event in Georgia on March 17th. Private message me if you like.
Commerce HS Academic Team
Commerce, Georgia
Robin J. Richards, Coach (GATA/NHBB)
https://sites.google.com/view/commerceq ... authuser=0
elyne road
Lulu

Post by elyne road »

We are pleased to announce that FACTS is currently being mirrored at the following sites:

High Technology High School, (Lincroft, NJ) --> February 24th, 2018
MIT (Cambridge, MA) --> March 10th, 2018
Commerce High School, (GA) --> March 17th, 2018
Westview High School, (San Diego, CA) --> March 17th, 2018
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, (Alexandria, VA) (main mirror) --> March 24th, 2018
Ladue High School, (St. Louis, MO) --> April 7th, 2018
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign (IL) --> April 21st, 2018
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
swimmerstar
Lulu

Post by swimmerstar »

Can a private discussion forum be made for this? Thanks!
Fred Zhang
Longfellow Middle School 2015
TJHSST 2019
Yale 2023
csa2125
Lulu

Post by csa2125 »

The private discussion forum for FACTS is now open. Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Clark Smith
Scioto HS '18
Ohio State
naneekeralc
Lulu

Post by naneekeralc »

The packet 14 that we received at the MIT site was only about 10% complete. There are also some serious oversights with editing throughout the set including many sentence fragments and repeated clues. I would strongly recommend that hosts of upcoming sites get some kind of confirmation that these errors have been corrected before running the set.
Clare Keenan
UChicago Lab '15
MIT '19
UChicago '2?
CommerceGAQuizcats
Lulu

Post by CommerceGAQuizcats »

Hello,

We have emailed you twice in four days and sent a PM. We were wondering when we would be getting the packets for our event this weekend. Please answer ASAP.

Thank you.
Commerce HS Academic Team
Commerce, Georgia
Robin J. Richards, Coach (GATA/NHBB)
https://sites.google.com/view/commerceq ... authuser=0
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Since news of issues regarding this set's quality have circulated quite widely by now, I believe a public explanation and apology on behalf of this set's editing team is in order. I'd like to personally apologize for any issues as regards this set's history and geography distributions. For those, sole blame must be attached to me rather than any of this set's writers, a great many of whom performed above and beyond the call of duty for this set. Thanks also are due to Julia Tong, Chloe Levine, Doug Simons, Vishwa Shanmugam, Clare Keenan (who submitted an extraordinarily helpful list of errata she noticed), and everyone who offered their feedback on the private discussion forum or in conversation with this set's editors. Every team that submitted (Ladue, Westview, Canyon Crest, High Tech, Downingtown STEM) also ought to be congratulated for submitting superb questions. Issues regarding my parts of the set, at least, can be attributed to my failure to plan for the time commitments that a new job would involve. Those commitments also explain why I was unable to fully commit to an expanded role in this set after an unforeseen and unavoidable change in our editing staff due to medical issues. To all the teams whose playing experience suffered as a result, my sincerest apologies. For the teams that are yet to play, just know that I think I speak for the entire editing and writing teams of FACTS when I say that we are committed to making this right.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
CuChulainsSixthToe
Kimahri

Post by CuChulainsSixthToe »

For the teams that are yet to play, just know that I think I speak for the entire editing and writing teams of FACTS when I say that we are committed to making this right.
As a team playing this tournament soon, I was wondering if there is any update on the status of the set? Has it been fixed at least in part,or should we go in prepared for some awkwardness.
Mason Reid
Glasgow High School C/O '19
2017 and 2018 SSNCT Champion
2017 and 2018 KY NASAT
kiwikoalabear
Lulu

Post by kiwikoalabear »

CuChulainsSixthToe wrote:
For the teams that are yet to play, just know that I think I speak for the entire editing and writing teams of FACTS when I say that we are committed to making this right.
As a team playing this tournament soon, I was wondering if there is any update on the status of the set? Has it been fixed at least in part,or should we go in prepared for some awkwardness.
At this point, we've addressed all the issues brought up in the forum and via private message. Other egregious errors, like repeats, have also been addressed.
Julia Zhou
TJ '19
Princeton '24
kiwikoalabear
Lulu

Post by kiwikoalabear »

Last call for mirror requests! Otherwise, the set will be posted by week's end.
Julia Zhou
TJ '19
Princeton '24
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Is there a DOCX version of these sets that could be uploaded to the archives?
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

UlyssesInvictus wrote:Is there a DOCX version of these sets that could be uploaded to the archives?
I've received a link to the Google Drive, from which I downloaded the Word files. Thanks! This will be uploaded to QuizDB soon.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM