Northmont Middle School Tournament (NMMS 1)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
djones
Wakka

Northmont Middle School Tournament (NMMS 1)

Post by djones »

From the discussion on the boards, it appears that there are an abundance of high school sets, but it seems as though there aren't a ton of middle school sets available. I know in Ohio alone, we had 9 requests of NAQT to use their three regular season sets. Therefore, Northmont will be writing a middle school set for use during the upcoming season. The writing team will be myself, Emily Bingham (formerly of Wright State) and Kara Combs (2017 graduate of Northmont).

The difficulty of the set will be NAQT MS-level. The distribution of the set will be as follows:
4/4 Lit
4/4 Science
4/4 History
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Trash
1/1 Geography
3/3 Beliefs (Religion and Mythology)
0.5/0.5 Math
0.5/0.5 Social Science / Philosophy

Each packet will also contain one extra question drawing from lit, science, history, and fine arts.

The set will be power-marked, and questions will be approximately 4 lines in length. The set will be available for mirrors beginning on October 14, 2017 following our middle school event the weekend before. The mirror fee will be $10 per team. Anyone interested in mirroring the tournament can email me at [email protected] or PM me on here.

Mirrors:
Iowa Novice Tournament: September 30, 2017
Northmont Middle School Invitational: October 7, 2017
John Adams Middle School Tournament (WV): Tentative Date October 14, 2017
Alabama ASCA Fall Tournament: October 28, 2017
Last edited by djones on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Northmont Middle School Tournament (NMMS 1)

Post by Important Bird Area »

djones wrote:I know in Ohio alone, we had 9 requests of NAQT to use their three regular season sets.
For the record, we actually produce four regular season middle school sets per year (not that that makes the math much better in this case!)
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

True, but one is used for our state championship so it is out of play for other events.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

This set is now being mirrored at the Alabama ASCA fall tournament!
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Thanks to those who provided feedback on the set. Everything is now completely written and is being play tested this week. We did decide to tweak the distribution slightly, moving to 2/2 fine arts and moving the 1/1 over to religion and mythology.

We currently have four mirrors set up nationally and would love to see the set played elsewhere. It will be ready for middle school events (or extremely novice high school events) by September 30th.
David Jones
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

We have stats from the first two events to use the set this year. They can be found here:

Northmont Middle School Tournament: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4484/

Iowa Quiz Bowl Kickoff: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

It appears the set is playing at a normal difficulty level and I have received nothing but positive feedback on the questions. Any school interested in mirroring this season can contact me at [email protected].
David Jones