How to recruit younger players?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
CaptainKirk
Lulu

How to recruit younger players?

Post by CaptainKirk »

Due to half of our team being seniors this year, I want to recruit a new batch of players to compete and continue to grow our program. However, due to a lack of middle school quiz bowl in our area, many of the younger and newer kids are very intimidated by the greatly expanded canon and pyramidal question format. I have tried to convince them that a little bit of hard work can lead to great baseline progress, but I still have trouble getting them to take the next step and attend the practices to join the team. What aspects and types of persuasion have you used to alleviate the fears these new players have so that they are more willing to join?
Eli Kirk
DuBois Area High School '16
Quiz Bowl Captain 2014-
acrosby1861
Lulu

Re: How to recruit younger players?

Post by acrosby1861 »

CaptainKirk wrote:What aspects and types of persuasion have you used to alleviate the fears these new players have so that they are more willing to join?
What I'd recommend is give the new and younger players easier difficulty questions so that they get used to the canon. And when they are used to the easier difficulty questions, then gradually step up the difficulty. Just don't go too hard too fast, otherwise they'll get frustrated and leave.

Note: I'm currently trying out this strategy w/ the History Bowl team at my school, so there might be some bugs.
Arianne Crosby
Los Alamitos High School '17
UC San Diego '20
johntait1
Lulu

Re: How to recruit younger players?

Post by johntait1 »

My biggest advice is be honest. Just talk about what your team is really like and why you are passionate about it. Don't try to hide anything or pretend that it is something that it is not. That way, you'll end up with people who are actually interested and will spend a lot of time studying and attending tournaments. This is just from my personal experience at my school though; every situation is different.