GPQB Podcast Discussions

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cchiego
Yuna

GPQB Podcast Discussions

Post by cchiego »

Ben Herman and I have started a podcast for Greater Pennsylvania QuizBowl (GPQB). We are alternating podcasts directed at the Greater Pennsylvania region (team rankings and previews and such) with topic-based podcasts that should be of interest to the larger quizbowl community.

All of our podcasts are under 15 minutes per episode. I'll post here in this thread each time we do a podcast that might be of interest to the larger quizbowl community. Comments, suggestions, and discussion are all welcome!

Episode 2: Outreach Tactics and Strategies

Our second episode discusses outreach and how to do it well. As we discuss, a lot of teams in quizbowl do outreach (whether they realize it or not) when they invite other teams to tournaments and it's important that everyone in quizbowl practices good outreach to help quizbowl as a whole. We also talk about who to contact at schools, how to phrase emails, what kind of responses to expect, and other outreach topics.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Re: GPQB Podcast Discussions

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

Episode 3: Getting to the Next Level

In our Third Episode we talk about things a player can do to take it to improve as a player- whether that be find their feet with the most frequent topics in quizbowl, learn strategies to acquire knowledge from your opponents, or learn to read and write deep to take your team to the next level. Fun for all high schoolers looking to improve! There is some PA-Specific content in the last couple minutes which may be of less interest to a general audience.
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
Wakka

We haven't been keeping this thread up, but this podcast on writing questions (with a focus on writing science) and this one about Rebellions in American history may be useful to some.
Ben Herman
Wakka

In our 8th Episode, Ryan Bilger and I break down some paintings and show what kinds of things might come up on visual arts topcis.
Ben Herman
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Since someone in another thread indicated a desire for more quizbowl podcasts, I figure I'd update this by pointing out that we've recorded several other episodes that ought to be of interest to general quizbowl audiences. Keep following us over the summer too--we have a number of other interviews planned as well as how-to-improve at X subject discussions.

Episode 13: Our interview with Eric Mukherjee, with plenty of good advice for aspiring quizbowl players on all levels.

Episode 11: An introduction to the quizbowl question distribution. Very useful I think for newer teams who are trying to make sense of the 4/4 Lit, 4/4 History, etc. numbers thrown out in a lot of tournament announcements and for more advanced teams trying to figure out how to efficiently allocate their study time.

Episode 10: An overview of the different types of quizbowl packet sets and their difficulty levels. Also probably useful for newer teams in particular who might not know an IS-A from GSAC from SCOP (and all the other acronyms quizbowlers throw around).

Episode 9:In-Game Strategy. Title says it all.
Chris C.
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Just to update with a few other episodes:

I really enjoyed this Quizbowl Economics (Quizonomics?) episode that we just recorded and thought it might bring up some interesting discussion points. Note that it's fairly long, so we provide an index to the major topics covered at different time periods on the blog post.

We also did special episodes covering advanced studying for history (with guests Eric Mukherjee and Will Alston), question-writing tips (with guest Eric), and studying for Current Events, among a number of others.

You can see all the podcasts that we've done here.
Chris C.