What's a good way to study?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.

What's a good way to study?

Postby Prone » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm on my school's QuizBowl team, two years in a row, captain starting this year. My coach/teacher/whatever says he wants me to main Science and wants me to be a generalist for the Middle School team. I'm also "on" (read as: fill in for people) the B team for the high school. I'm getting to go to both Nationals, both Middle School in Atlanta and Small School in Chicago area. I just can't study is the problem. I've let a lot of Science go dead and miss out on a lot of bonuses. Mainly physics and chemistry. What would be the best way to study for this and fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Prone
Kimahri

Re: What's a good way to study?

Postby vinteuil » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:05 am

If you haven't taken a physics class before, there's a lovely book called Conceptual Physics by Paul Hewitt that's a nice introduction (and a library near you should have some edition of it)
Jacob Reed
Yale '17, '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Auron

Re: What's a good way to study?

Postby Sima Guang Hater » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Prone wrote:I'm on my school's QuizBowl team, two years in a row, captain starting this year. My coach/teacher/whatever says he wants me to main Science and wants me to be a generalist for the Middle School team. I'm also "on" (read as: fill in for people) the B team for the high school. I'm getting to go to both Nationals, both Middle School in Atlanta and Small School in Chicago area. I just can't study is the problem. I've let a lot of Science go dead and miss out on a lot of bonuses. Mainly physics and chemistry. What would be the best way to study for this and fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.

http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/view/How_to_ ... nce_player

AP review books and old packets at regular high school difficulty are good places to start at your level.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Washburn Rural High School, 2005
Brown University, 2009
Medical Scientist Training Program, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, 2018
Intern in Internal Medicine, Yale-Waterbury, 2018-9
Dermatology Resident, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2019-

Member Emeritus, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer, NHBB
Writer, International Quiz Bowl Tournaments
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Return to Theory