Hypothetical eligibility question: "Super-Seniors"

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
a Joe
Rikku

Hypothetical eligibility question: "Super-Seniors"

Post by a Joe »

This crossed my mind the other day.

I don't know how this works in other states, but in NY, someone can, if they do poorly in high school, stay until they turn 21. It's not unheard of for someone to be in their fifth year of high school (repeating the 12th grade), and it actually happens quite a lot. Now say one of these people was, for some odd reason, an excellent quizbowler. Would he or she be able to continue playing at the HS level? I know it's unlikely that this will ever happen, but hey, you never know!
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Re: Hypothetical eligibility question: "Super-Seniors"

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Snoopy wrote:This crossed my mind the other day.

I don't know how this works in other states, but in NY, someone can, if they do poorly in high school, stay until they turn 21. It's not unheard of for someone to be in their fifth year of high school (repeating the 12th grade), and it actually happens quite a lot. Now say one of these people was, for some odd reason, an excellent quizbowler. Would he or she be able to continue playing at the HS level? I know it's unlikely that this will ever happen, but hey, you never know!
This has definitely happened.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

In states that don't have quizbowl overseen by a state activities organization (e.g. NY), I don't see anything in the PACE/NAQT eligibility rules that would prevent super seniors from playing. In states that do have a state activities association (e.g. MO), there may be some limitations - for example, MSHSAA says that a student has only 8 semesters of eligibility in a given activity.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

From NAQT's HS eligibility page (http://www.naqt.com/hs/high-school-eligibility.html):
E. Affiliation

Students may only compete at high school tournaments for schools with which they have an affiliation.

A player automatically establishes an affiliation with a school for a given competition year by enrolling in an academic term the majority of whose days fall within that competition year.
It also says that grades beyond 12 are ineligible. (Don't Canadian schools have 13th grade?)
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Ben Dillon wrote:From NAQT's HS eligibility page (http://www.naqt.com/hs/high-school-eligibility.html):
E. Affiliation

Students may only compete at high school tournaments for schools with which they have an affiliation.

A player automatically establishes an affiliation with a school for a given competition year by enrolling in an academic term the majority of whose days fall within that competition year.
It also says that grades beyond 12 are ineligible. (Don't Canadian schools have 13th grade?)
The Ontario Academic Credit aka 13th grade was indeed a thing in Ontario schools until 2003, although many students still choose to return for a fifth year.
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Magtymguly Pyragy wrote:
Ben Dillon wrote:From NAQT's HS eligibility page (http://www.naqt.com/hs/high-school-eligibility.html):
E. Affiliation

The Ontario Academic Credit aka 13th grade was indeed a thing in Ontario schools until 2003, although many students still choose to return for a fifth year.
It's called a victory lap now, and there are several schools/areas where it's fairly normal (e.g. Waterloo Collegiate Institute IIRC).
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

So there wasn't a general consensus on this: are super-seniors allowed to compete? I attend a middle college which basically means I go 5 years to work on an associate's degree.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
ErikC
Rikku

Post by ErikC »

Masked Canadian History Bandit wrote:
It's called a victory lap now, and there are several schools/areas where it's fairly normal (e.g. Waterloo Collegiate Institute IIRC).
It's only a victory lap if you actually have all the credits of course.

It's worth noting that a recent national tournament of the Canadian non-quizbowl game that will not be named was won by a team (my high school) that included a 5th year that had played for 5 years. A quizbowl equivalent is definitely possible.
Erik Christensen
University of Waterloo - School of Planning Class of '18
Defending VETO top scorer