How many players on a team?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Shomik Ghose
Lulu

How many players on a team?

Post by Shomik Ghose »

Is it better to have four or five players on a team? Here is the specific situation we are in:

Next year we will have 5 people vying for a spot on our A team:

Player 1: Very strong at history (made NHBB national playoffs last year, qualified for NHBB nats this year-obviously nats have't happened yet) and literature, pretty good at art, current events, and some trash, has a lot of general knowledge

Player 2: Strong at math, literature and art, is a good chem player, knows some history, knows some general knowledge

Player 3: Strong in science and math, especially physics

Player 4: Very strong in general knowledge, strong in history (qualified for NHBB nationals both this and last year) and current events

Player 5: Strong in history (did not qualify for NHBB nationals last year) and current events, particularly strong at Roman history, knows some trash (but a lot of that trash overlaps with Player 1)

At a tournament in which we played together, Player 1 scored the highest, followed by Players 2 and 4, followed by Players 3 and 5.

Players 1, 2, 3, and 4 have won a tournament together.

My questions are: 1. Should we have 4 or 5 players on the team?
2. If we have 4 players, who should we cut?
Attachments
Stats.PNG
These are statistics from a tournament we played together earlier this season on HFT. The player numbers are written next to each row.
(20.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Shomik Ghose on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Johns A
Class of 2019
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: How many players on a team?

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I won't speak to the actual skill/category competencies of people on your team, since that seems like something that you could understand better than anyone on the forums looking abstractedly at your situation. What I will say is that this decision isn't necessarily one that you need to make now: you can definitely wait and shuffle lineups during the regular season in the hopes of finding the best one!

What I would definitely recommend is to lock it down to 4 players at some point before the second half of the season, so that you all can better study and fill the gaps in your knowledge before nationals. Having 5 people that are all pretty good isn't something that's done a ton by top teams in high school (see PACE NSC last year, where the only team to have 5 people on their roster in the top 2 brackets was Chattahoochee). Generally, you want to reach a 4-man lineup that matches up best with other teams in the sense that all bases are somewhat adequately covered.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23