Quiz Bowl & Metropolitan Areas in 2017

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Quiz Bowl & Metropolitan Areas in 2017

Post by AKKOLADE »

I made a list of all the quality tournaments I could find and found their Census assigned Metropolitan Statistical Areas here. I want to expand the list of MSAs without QB to the top 100, at least, but that'll be done later this week.

If you have any corrections, please let me know.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Father Comstock
Lulu

Re: Quiz Bowl & Metropolitan Areas in 2017

Post by Father Comstock »

I hate to say it, but Indianapolis has a couple NAC events during the year. Not that it's quiz bowl, but it does happen.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

You have Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk listed as an MSA without quiz bowl but we're in the area (you have our tournaments listed under NYC, which is also an MSA we're in). Just saying.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
dhumphreys17
Wakka

Post by dhumphreys17 »

AKKOLADE wrote:I made a list of all the quality tournaments I could find and found their Census assigned Metropolitan Statistical Areas here. I want to expand the list of MSAs without QB to the top 100, at least, but that'll be done later this week.

If you have any corrections, please let me know.
Emphasis added.
Father Comstock wrote:I hate to say it, but Indianapolis has a couple NAC events during the year. Not that it's quiz bowl, but it does happen.
:chip: events ≠ quality tournaments. Let's make that crystal clear, please and thank you.
Devin James John Humphreys
Sacred Heart Academy High School (MI), Class of 2017 - 2015 HSNCT, 2016 NSC, 2017 NSC
Michigan State University, B.A. Class of 2020
University of Notre Dame, J.D. Class of 2023 - standby 2023 ICT-DII; coach 2023-24
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

2017 in amusement parks wrote:You have Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk listed as an MSA without quiz bowl but we're in the area (you have our tournaments listed under NYC, which is also an MSA we're in). Just saying.
You are correct. I'll fix this.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Father Comstock
Lulu

Post by Father Comstock »

dhumphreys17 wrote:
Father Comstock wrote:I hate to say it, but Indianapolis has a couple NAC events during the year. Not that it's quiz bowl, but it does happen.
:chip: events ≠ quality tournaments. Let's make that crystal clear, please and thank you.
Pretty sure I did. Thanks for the help though
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue University '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock.
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

There has been one NAQT tournament in the Denver-area in each of the past 3 years (most recent one: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=8156)

There wasn't a tournament in Portland, Oregon this year but there have been 2 in the area in the past 5 years (most recent one: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=7174)
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

A quick correction re: Pennsylvania. Downingtown East is located in Chester county, which is part of the Philadelphia metro, not Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton as listed.
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

njsbling wrote:There has been one NAQT tournament in the Denver-area in each of the past 3 years (most recent one: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=8156)

There wasn't a tournament in Portland, Oregon this year but there have been 2 in the area in the past 5 years (most recent one: https://www.naqt.com/stats/tournament-t ... nt_id=7174)
Denver and Boulder are separates MSAs.
Fred Morlan
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

It's worth noting that BrainBusters Fall (and Spring, I suppose) has attracted teams from many of the listed MSAs, such as Rochester, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, Syracuse, and Binghamton, not just Ithaca. Most of these teams participate in MasterMinds, which admittedly could be worse; it uses NAQT A-sets, though with stifling restrictions. Scott Blish has done a lot of admirable work in the region, and that will be carried on by Ben Kirk (Ithaca) and Victoria Lehman (Geneva) when he moves to Florida. Additionally, some of these areas have an NHBB presence: Nichols (Buffalo) and Fayetteville-Manlius (Syracuse) come to mind as upstate NY schools that went to NHBB nationals.

Though I've never played MasterMinds myself, I've talked to enough people to understand its strong presence in most upstate MSAs. The thing with MasterMinds is that it is so well regarded and established in these regions that it's very difficult to convert teams to better quizbowl. Even if the players want to, the school administration meets them with resistance (despite the fact that it's like paying $500 to hear one A-set over multiple weeks). Another thing that I've noticed is that many teams don't study for MasterMinds; in this sense, regular-difficulty sets may seem daunting. Still, I think there's hope for the region as more and more people realize that MasterMinds has no redeeming qualities that regular quizbowl lacks.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I believe I've made all the corrections necessary.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The Polebarn Hotel wrote:It's worth noting that BrainBusters Fall (and Spring, I suppose) has attracted teams from many of the listed MSAs, such as Rochester, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, Syracuse, and Binghamton, not just Ithaca.
The idea behind this is to see which MSAs have tournaments hosted within them. It's great if teams will travel out of their MSAs, but in terms of recruitment, it's a missed opportunity if no one is hosting within those MSAs.
Fred Morlan
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

To add to Fred's point, I've consistently found that you'll exponentially increase the number of teams willing to do an all-day Saturday tournament when you can provide that tournament within an hour of home. People don't like getting up at 5 in the morning to try out this pyramidal quizbowl thing.

This is fantastic data we can do a lot with. Fred's obviously had to draw an arbitrary line for "metros with little quizbowl" but even beyond that when you see things like Los Angeles having only six tournaments compared to Columbia MO's twelve, it makes you really stop and think about how patchy our decades of work still are and what can still be done.
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

AKKOLADE wrote:
The Polebarn Hotel wrote:It's worth noting that BrainBusters Fall (and Spring, I suppose) has attracted teams from many of the listed MSAs, such as Rochester, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, Syracuse, and Binghamton, not just Ithaca.
The idea behind this is to see which MSAs have tournaments hosted within them. It's great if teams will travel out of their MSAs, but in terms of recruitment, it's a missed opportunity if no one is hosting within those MSAs.
Yeah, that makes sense. Geneva will probably host a tournament or two next year in the Rochester area, and hopefully one of the Albany-area teams that has ventured outside of MasterMinds will host as well. We'll see.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

In the interest of getting other work done today, could somebody(/ies) help me out and tell me if NHBB has had any events hosted in these states?

Alaska
Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Kansas
Maine
Montana
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
Oregon
Rhode Island
Utah
Wyoming
Fred Morlan
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hosted an NHBB event in 2017:
AKKOLADE wrote: Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
If you want me to look up past years, lemme know! :)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Irreligion in Bangladesh wrote:Hosted an NHBB event in 2017:
AKKOLADE wrote: Arkansas
Delaware
Hawaii
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
If you want me to look up past years, lemme know! :)
It'd be appreciated if you did!
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Okay, if you know someone in the above mentioned states that would be interested in quiz bowl tournaments, let me know!
Fred Morlan
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Alaska had an event in 2012-13: http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... aska-2013/

Kansas has had events in previous years, but the host couldn't make it work this year. http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... nsas-2013/ and http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... 2015-bowl/ are examples.

North Dakota had events in 2013, 14, and 15: http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... bowl-2014/ had a good turnout.

Nebraska had one event: http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... aska-2014/

Wyoming had an event in 2014: http://www.historybowl.com/regional-sit ... ming-2014/

Maine, Rhode Island, and Utah look empty.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

AMSA may technically be in the Boston MSA but is significantly closer to Worcester than to Boston. The Worcester MSA is for some reason confined only to Worcester County.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Yes, but they're in the Boston MSA, so there they are.
Fred Morlan
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

NHBB also has hosted some stuff in BC, Alberta, and more consistently in Quebec. Quebec is a weird situation because their equivalence of secondary and postseconday schools go 7-11, 12+first year, 2nd thru 4th year. Generally, the NHBB teacher supervisors say that just doing NHBB is too much work for them, and would wait a few more years before they would be interested in all subject stuff. Also there's only like 10 English language schools. But, I could get you the contact info for those schools (or ask Brad or a Madden to give them to you).

I heard that BC high schools are trying to get QB going. I already let you know about this Fred.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Atlashill
Wakka

Post by Atlashill »

Technical nitpick: Oklahoma City isn't showing up in the listings. It appears it's because they had four tournaments listed, and neither the "little quizbowl" nor "lots of quizbowl" has any MSAs listed with four.
Kyle Hill—Liberty (Mo.) '03—Truman State '07
Moderator for hire based in Sedalia, Mo.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I haven't added 4 to either group, since it felt silly to say that was a lot of quiz bowl. But if people want the 4s somewhere, I'll do that when I have a chance.

In related news, I've added all of the Metro Areas to the "don't have quiz bowl tourneys" list, including little baby (Rob) Carson City. My obsessiveness is relieved.
Fred Morlan
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

I think geographic thinking can be really helpful in considering places for expansion of existing efforts. This analysis can be really helpful to see where state organizations need to do more work in a broad sense.

One thing that this kind of analysis fails to capture, though, is how to best tackle multi-state MSAs. Is the St. Louis MSA successful overall if nearly all of its tournaments are happening in Missouri and hosting Missouri high schools? Or, the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers MSA, which extends into a Missouri county that has exactly one high school?

I like that MSAs are a convenient way to look at population centers, but I don't think they necessarily capture the realities of quizbowl tournament travel. Yes, its nice to think about having tournaments as close as possible to attendees. Yet, Columbia and Jefferson City are in separate MSAs in Missouri, but functionally they are less than 30 minutes apart and a team traveling to one could just as easily travel to the other. State organizers should take the information here with a grain of salt and do what's best with their resources.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

New Hampshire has hosted 2 NHBB annually for several years now-Hanover H.S. and ConVal High School have been the host schools.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

alexdz wrote:I think geographic thinking can be really helpful in considering places for expansion of existing efforts. This analysis can be really helpful to see where state organizations need to do more work in a broad sense.

One thing that this kind of analysis fails to capture, though, is how to best tackle multi-state MSAs. Is the St. Louis MSA successful overall if nearly all of its tournaments are happening in Missouri and hosting Missouri high schools? Or, the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers MSA, which extends into a Missouri county that has exactly one high school?

I like that MSAs are a convenient way to look at population centers, but I don't think they necessarily capture the realities of quizbowl tournament travel. Yes, its nice to think about having tournaments as close as possible to attendees. Yet, Columbia and Jefferson City are in separate MSAs in Missouri, but functionally they are less than 30 minutes apart and a team traveling to one could just as easily travel to the other. State organizers should take the information here with a grain of salt and do what's best with their resources.
Of course. This is just one tool for you to use.

My response to the multi-state MSAs thing is to encourage you to develop a list of high schools in that area and go from there. The advantage of the MSAs is it gives you a starting point for developing that list of schools, and then you can look at where they are in relation to each other. For example, Washington DC's dips into West Virginia for a grand total of one county and two schools. It'd be great to get those schools involved, but obviously the 37 in DC itself or 101 in Maryland would have a greater impact. Blindly following anything isn't a good idea.
Fred Morlan
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

You have Reno listed twice.

They hosted some sort of Academic Olympics that used NAQT questions, but I have no idea what the tournament was like or the rules or anything.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

AKKOLADE wrote:Okay, if you know someone in the above mentioned states that would be interested in quiz bowl tournaments, let me know!
I intend to try to get something started in Utah.

Edit: also, northern Idaho, in the Coeur d'Alene area and/or Spokane. (I have heard from two interested coaches there. CdA Charter is in Coeur d'Alene, and Post Falls is right outside Spokane.)'

Edit: Grand Junction High School is a regular participant in the HSNCT, and is in Grand Junction, CO. I don't know what tournaments they attend, though.

How close is Frenchtown, MT to Missoula? They host a tournament. (I think. They regularly have hosted FACT, in the past.)
Member, PACE
Tippy Martinez
Wakka

Post by Tippy Martinez »

tiwonge wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:Okay, if you know someone in the above mentioned states that would be interested in quiz bowl tournaments, let me know!

Edit: also, northern Idaho, in the Coeur d'Alene area and/or Spokane. (I have heard from two interested coaches there. CdA Charter is in Coeur d'Alene, and Post Falls is right outside Spokane.)'

Edit: Grand Junction High School is a regular participant in the HSNCT, and is in Grand Junction, CO. I don't know what tournaments they attend, though.

How close is Frenchtown, MT to Missoula? They host a tournament. (I think. They regularly have hosted FACT, in the past.)
As I was just researching this, I believe Frenchtown is about a 15 minute drive from Missoula.
connor mayers
maryland
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

tiwonge wrote: Grand Junction High School is a regular participant in the HSNCT, and is in Grand Junction, CO. I don't know what tournaments they attend, though.
As far as I know, Grand Junction has only done HSNCT and the Colorado NAQT Championship. This is mostly due to the historic lack of pyramidal QB in Colorado, though, and I'm fairly sure they'd be open to playing more tournaments. Also, they'd probably be a good host if we ever want to do a tournament for both CO and UT teams, as they're about halfway from Denver to Salt Lake.
Matt
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Also, they'd probably be a good host if we ever want to do a tournament for both CO and UT teams, as they're about halfway from Denver to Salt Lake.
There are plenty of local Knowledge Bowl-playing schools near Grand Junction like Fruita Monument and several other former NAC attendees who would be much better targets for outreach for a GJ tournament than teams from 3-4 hours away. As others have pointed out, the last thing you want to tell new schools is that they need to drive long distances to give pyramidal quizbowl a try. There are enough Knowledge Bowl schools in Colorado (80+ I think) to look into a bunch of regional tournaments.
They hosted some sort of Academic Olympics that used NAQT questions, but I have no idea what the tournament was like or the rules or anything.
Academic Olympics is local to Reno (and a few Lake Tahoe schools in CA). Talk to Jeff Hoppes about this for more details since I know he's been working on them for years. The Ruby Mountain League, which uses NAQT questions, covers pretty much all of the I-80 corridor across the rest of the Northern part of the state.
Utah has a very active "National Academic League" circuit in at least some parts of the Wasatch Range corridor. See here, here, and here for three lists of teams from various districts. Note that some of these are Jr. High schools as well as High schools. That could be a base for getting something started there by providing at least some potential coaches' contacts. BYU might be a good site for a tournament if reliable communications could be established with the college team there.

Apparently NAQT questions were also used at a local educational unit's tournament this year in the Southeast of UT as well.

I know NAQT has been actively involved in outreach in a number of these areas. It might behoove people to check with them or at least look through NAQT's database for previous tournaments to see if there's been anything in those areas before embarking on outreach campaigns. And please remember outreach etiquette--avoid sounding like a multi-level marketing scheme, use local people/knowledge as much as possible, and personalize, personalize, personalize.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

A few comments on some of the biggest MSAs missing QB to help nudge any outreach efforts in the right direction:
#13 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA -- This is AcaDec land. I once contacted a coach of a "trivia team" at a school in Riverside who expressed some interest at first but quickly died out. One potential selling point here is the massive price differential between AcaDec (I think the local one is $850 to compete in) and quizbowl.
#19 Denver-Aurora-Lakewood, CO -- While most of CO is AUK AUK AUK land, there don't appear to be many Knowledge Bowl-playing schools in Denver itself. Thus there's a bit of an opening here since most schools seem to lack an academic team of any kind.
#25 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA -- Westview HS here would likely be the best place to start, though it doesn't seem to have been able to catch on elsewhere. The rest of the Willamette Valley would be a nice place to look as well.
#34 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN -- Plenty of Chip leagues around here. Fortunately, it does seem that there's at least some awareness of pyramidal quizbowl out there, but it still needs a lot of effort.
#38 Providence-Warwick, RI-MA -- A little bit of AcaDec, but mostly a whole lot of nothing.
#39 Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI -- Fairly strong AcaDec, but also a lot of nothing (I even spotted a few old KMO schools from here). This really ought to change considering the strength of the Chicago circuit (and hence the availability of lots of potential staffers nearby for any budding tournament). A few schools seem to have ventured to IL events.
#40 Jacksonville, FL -- Interestingly, the middle school circuit is stronger here with several teams from here involved in pyramidal quizbowl. Pretty sure the high school circuit though is still mostly Commissioner's Academic Challenge.
#47 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT -- Nothing that I can see here. Could combine nicely with Springfield MA for a nice local circuit.
#48 Salt Lake City, UT -- As mentioned above, this is the birthplace of National Academic League. If people are tired of committing "fouls" or making "bank shots" on a buzzer, there could be some movement here.
#50 Buffalo-Cheektowaga-Niagara Falls, NY - Masterminds has been covered pretty well above.
#51 Rochester, NY -- Ibid.
#53 Tucson, AZ -- Academic Decathlon hotbed.
#54 Urban Honolulu, HI -- I really don't know what happened here with quizbowl, but Iolani seems like the ideal team to ask what's up.
#55 Tulsa, OK -- This is a bit odd, but it's likely because the local OK format stuff is so popular (OK in general really seems to like virtual tournaments too rather than in-person ones)
#56 Fresno, CA -- The site of so much hope in CA over the years, it will take awhile before quizbowl can get off the ground here. But there are people trying.
#58 Worcester, MA-CT -- I had honestly never heard of this MSA until this list. Apparently I need to brush up on my Boston suburb geography.
#59 Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA -- Tons of tournaments here on AUK questions during the year. Talk to Creighton Prep (HSNCT attendee this year) about potential pyramidal ones.
#62 Bakersfield, CA -- Actually has some kind of local quizbowl-ish competition that I think gets on local TV at least.
#63 Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY -- See Minds, Master
#67 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA -- Has their own active local Ventura County Knowledge Bowl. Very little info on it, but it's not pyramidal. Really wish more of these schools could get some outreach.
#74 Charleston-North Charleston, SC -- Apparently uses NAQT questions for a local league. There really ought to be more quizbowl along this whole coastal area though down to Jacksonville--it would be a great circuit. What is it about the East Coast and a lack of pyramidal quizbowl along the literal coast?
#76 Little Rock-North Little Rock-Conway, AR -- Tons of tournaments, just all Chipbowl for now. Teams have some experiences with pyramidal quizbowl though, so there's potential here.
Chris C.
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

Utah has a very active "National Academic League" circuit in at least some parts of the Wasatch Range corridor. See here, here, and here for three lists of teams from various districts. Note that some of these are Jr. High schools as well as High schools. That could be a base for getting something started there by providing at least some potential coaches' contacts. BYU might be a good site for a tournament if reliable communications could be established with the college team there.

Apparently NAQT questions were also used at a local educational unit's tournament this year in the Southeast of UT as well.

I know NAQT has been actively involved in outreach in a number of these areas. It might behoove people to check with them or at least look through NAQT's database for previous tournaments to see if there's been anything in those areas before embarking on outreach campaigns. And please remember outreach etiquette--avoid sounding like a multi-level marketing scheme, use local people/knowledge as much as possible, and personalize, personalize, personalize.
I already got all of NAQT's contact information they had for all Utah high schools. It is, as far as I can tell, at least 2 years out of date, and doesn't include one former quiz bowl coach I maintain contact with.

The Southeast Education Service Center's quiz bowl page does not appear to resemble anything like pyramidal quiz bowl. The rules say questions are worth between 5 and 25 points, there is no mention of bonuses, and the practice questions they link to (which, unfortunately, do not seem to exist) include "silly" ones. It's possible they might modify NAQT questions; I am not sure.

https://www.seschools.org/qb

I found this video of a different Utah school doing an intramural quiz bowl match. (This school is not one of the four who compete in the Southeast ESC tournament.) I am not familiar with NAC, so I don't know if that's what this is or not.

http://thecube.com/event/knowledge-bowl ... highlights

Anyway, after going through NAQT's contact list and pruning or editing it, I just sent an e-mail to those schools tonight. I did it one at a time (not using BCC or to a long list), from my BSU account, identifying myself as from Boise State, and name dropping the two Utah schools that have come to Boise, and mentioning BYU, as well. I tried to make it as little like a form letter as I could, although I did send the same thing to each coach.

(I also asked the coach at St. Joseph's if there were any other schools he thought I might try to contact.)

Ah, I had not found that NAL league. I'll try to identify coaches there and also send them e-mails. Is there anything I might do to explain that this is different from NAC, or to suggest that they might find this different format useful in addition to (I'm going to stay away from "instead of" for now) their current games?

(As this is mid-summer, I will probably re-send these e-mails mid-August. Also, once Ian from BYU gets back from vacation, I might see if we can set an actual date for a tournament that doesn't conflict with the NAL. I find that having a specific date makes things a bit easier.)
Member, PACE
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

tiwonge wrote:
The Southeast Education Service Center's quiz bowl page does not appear to resemble anything like pyramidal quiz bowl. The rules say questions are worth between 5 and 25 points, there is no mention of bonuses, and the practice questions they link to (which, unfortunately, do not seem to exist) include "silly" ones. It's possible they might modify NAQT questions; I am not sure.

Yeah but if you check their results for this year, it looks like they probably just used 5 points for each correct TU answer in a way that would make sense for using NAQT.
tiwonge wrote: I found this video of a different Utah school doing an intramural quiz bowl match. (This school is not one of the four who compete in the Southeast ESC tournament.) I am not familiar with NAC, so I don't know if that's what this is or not.

That seems AUKy, but it looks like they don't compete in interschool tournaments. Get in touch with the teacher who started that (there's a google result that suggests who did) and that might be a decent lead.
tiwonge wrote:Ah, I had not found that NAL league. I'll try to identify coaches there and also send them e-mails. Is there anything I might do to explain that this is different from NAC, or to suggest that they might find this different format useful in addition to (I'm going to stay away from "instead of" for now) their current games?
Well, for one quizbowl doesn't use a bunch of basketball terms for everything. But overall I think you can just focus on the value of additional facts and chances to compete and then discuss pyramidal questions later (you might send some appropriate samples or do a link to pyramidality at first). The Salt Lake City area is the heart of NAL and its founder seems to have been a local educational celebrity.

There also appears to be some kind of Knowledge Bowl (looks to be locally written) in the Alpine School District (between Provo and SLC) for Jr High students, as indicated by this post (team list is in the post).
Chris C.
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

cchiego wrote:
tiwonge wrote:

Yeah but if you check their results for this year, it looks like they probably just used 5 points for each correct TU answer in a way that would make sense for using NAQT.
tiwonge wrote: I found this video of a different Utah school doing an intramural quiz bowl match. (This school is not one of the four who compete in the Southeast ESC tournament.) I am not familiar with NAC, so I don't know if that's what this is or not.

That seems AUKy, but it looks like they don't compete in interschool tournaments. Get in touch with the teacher who started that (there's a google result that suggests who did) and that might be a decent lead.
tiwonge wrote:Ah, I had not found that NAL league. I'll try to identify coaches there and also send them e-mails. Is there anything I might do to explain that this is different from NAC, or to suggest that they might find this different format useful in addition to (I'm going to stay away from "instead of" for now) their current games?
Well, for one quizbowl doesn't use a bunch of basketball terms for everything. But overall I think you can just focus on the value of additional facts and chances to compete and then discuss pyramidal questions later (you might send some appropriate samples or do a link to pyramidality at first). The Salt Lake City area is the heart of NAL and its founder seems to have been a local educational celebrity.

There also appears to be some kind of Knowledge Bowl (looks to be locally written) in the Alpine School District (between Provo and SLC) for Jr High students, as indicated by this post (team list is in the post).
One thing I have tried to do when contacting people who participate in other formats is to emphasize that any practice on the buzzer in one format helps students prepare and get comfortable with it in other formats. That's the philosophy of a local science bowl/quiz bowl/ocean science bowl coach who had his players (even his ocean science team, with a very specific format) compete in as many of our tournaments as possible. And he's a two time national ocean science bowl winning coach, so I hope his philosophy carries some weight. Even if schools choose to play in the NAL, it doesn't hurt to get extra practice in other formats.
Member, PACE
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

cchiego wrote: Get in touch with the teacher who started that (there's a google result that suggests who did) and that might be a decent lead.
I did. There are actually 3 people from that school that NAQT had, and two of the addresses were still valid (including the one who seems to be most associated with it). Unfortunately, the school is in St. George (or nearby) in southwestern Utah, probably closer to Las Vegas than to Provo or SLC.
Member, PACE