Caught in difficulty limbo

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.

Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby tksaleija » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:33 am

So I'm trying to gauge what question types I'm best suited for and have been trying just a couple and I've run into an issue. PACE questions are pretty lengthy and much harder for me to string together several correct answers in a row, but SCOP Novice questions are, while decent quality, incredibly easy, with some being immediate giveaways 4 words into the power. I was wondering if there was an intermediary question set(s) that will provide more challenge and give me a sense of how/what to practice to move up to PACE without breezing through out getting stumped by every question.
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby gettysburg11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:42 am

If you have some money to purchase IS sets from NAQT for practice, those would be best. Or for a free option, the VHSL sets should also be good. And you are correct that you are looking at two ends of the difficulty spectrum with SCOP and PACE,
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
User avatar
gettysburg11
Wakka
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby Deviant Insider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:57 am

You're in luck! Pretty much high school set is between those two sets in terms of difficulty. Here are a lot of free sets.
David Reinstein
PACE President, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT, IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
 
Posts: 4237
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby Geriatric trauma » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm

In particular, the WHAQ and LIST sets are of approximately normal high school difficulty. Here is a list of the difficulty of high school sets from this year (a higher number means the set is more difficult).
Ryan Rosenberg
Taking classes at DePaul | North Carolina '16 | Ardsley '12
TD, 2018 NSC | Editor, 2017 ACF Fall | PACE
User avatar
Geriatric trauma
Auron
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 5:48 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby tksaleija » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Granny Soberer wrote:In particular, the WHAQ and LIST sets are of approximately normal high school difficulty. Here is a list of the difficulty of high school sets from this year (a higher number means the set is more difficult).


I like this a lot because it's great for comparison, but based on the information given on the site, wouldn't LIST and WHAQ be of lower difficulty (.04 and -.38) or are the HSNCT questions (4.67) just a much higher difficulty?
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby gettysburg11 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:29 pm

tksaleija wrote:
Granny Soberer wrote:In particular, the WHAQ and LIST sets are of approximately normal high school difficulty. Here is a list of the difficulty of high school sets from this year (a higher number means the set is more difficult).


I like this a lot because it's great for comparison, but based on the information given on the site, wouldn't LIST and WHAQ be of lower difficulty (.04 and -.38) or are the HSNCT questions (4.67) just a much higher difficulty?

HSNCT is high school nationals, so yes, they are a degree of difficulty higher. LIST, WHAQ, and other sets close to zero are the best approximations of "regular difficulty" that you'd play throughout the year.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
User avatar
gettysburg11
Wakka
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby tksaleija » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:36 pm

gettysburg11 wrote:
tksaleija wrote:
Granny Soberer wrote:In particular, the WHAQ and LIST sets are of approximately normal high school difficulty. Here is a list of the difficulty of high school sets from this year (a higher number means the set is more difficult).


I like this a lot because it's great for comparison, but based on the information given on the site, wouldn't LIST and WHAQ be of lower difficulty (.04 and -.38) or are the HSNCT questions (4.67) just a much higher difficulty?

HSNCT is high school nationals, so yes, they are a degree of difficulty higher. LIST, WHAQ, and other sets close to zero are the best approximations of "regular difficulty" that you'd play throughout the year.


Alright, thank you for the clarification :)
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby Deviant Insider » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:38 pm

On that scale, NAQT IS sets are 0.
David Reinstein
PACE President, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT, IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
User avatar
Deviant Insider
Auron
 
Posts: 4237
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby iambadatnames » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:12 pm

Prison bowl is also not as hard as nats-level material but is reasonably well written and readily available.
Charlie Cutting
UHigh '17
Brown '21 (probably)

"So like, he set the precedent of lameducktitude?"
iambadatnames
Kimahri
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby tksaleija » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:41 am

Any idea where I can find more LIST packets? There's only one (1) on the packets database.

EDIT: WHAQ packets too. I don't think I saw any in the hsqb database.
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby gettysburg11 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:47 am

tksaleija wrote:Any idea where I can find more LIST packets? There's only one (1) on the packets database.

EDIT: WHAQ packets too. I don't think I saw any in the hsqb database.

LIST 2017: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/1978/
LIST 2014: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/592/
LIST 2013: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/591/
LIST 2012: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/58/
LIST 2011: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/171/

WHAQ: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/1850/

All of them are also on the http://www.quizbowlpackets.com link that David Reinstein posted earlier so you don't have to specifically save these links.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
User avatar
gettysburg11
Wakka
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby tksaleija » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:57 am

gettysburg11 wrote:
tksaleija wrote:Any idea where I can find more LIST packets? There's only one (1) on the packets database.

EDIT: WHAQ packets too. I don't think I saw any in the hsqb database.

LIST 2017: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/1978/
LIST 2014: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/592/
LIST 2013: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/591/
LIST 2012: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/58/
LIST 2011: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/171/

WHAQ: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/1850/

All of them are also on the http://www.quizbowlpackets.com link that David Reinstein posted earlier so you don't have to specifically save these links.


Thanks, I guess I'm just way too blind and/or lazy to have caught those. Yikes. I'll definitely use these though :)
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
User avatar
tksaleija
Wakka
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby Antrobus63 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:53 pm

You're very ambitious, but cut yourself a break. PACE is pretty tough, even for the best players.
Peter Schmidt
Coach, Lehigh Valley Academy
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Antrobus63
Wakka
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:20 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby Shomik Ghose » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:08 pm

As an extension to this post, what college packets would be the best to practice for teams trying to get good at PACE/HSNCT level? The answerlines in ACF Regs and MUT seem a bit too obscure (especially towards the end) while ACF Fall seems a bit easier than HS nationals...
St. Johns A
Class of 2019
Shomik Ghose
Lulu
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Re: Caught in difficulty limbo

Postby High Dependency Unit » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:16 pm

Shomik Ghose wrote:As an extension to this post, what college packets would be the best to practice for teams trying to get good at PACE/HSNCT level? The answerlines in ACF Regs and MUT seem a bit too obscure (especially towards the end) while ACF Fall seems a bit easier than HS nationals...


MUT and EMT are probably your best bet, then ACF Regs and other college regular sets.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle 13,
Darien (co-captain) 17,
Bowdoin College 21
NHBB Regional Coordinator
High Dependency Unit
Rikku
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:45 pm


Return to Theory

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests