How do you read packets?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
JBSours
Kimahri

How do you read packets?

Post by JBSours »

Just wondering what the best use of my time is with packets. Just reading through seems like it wouldn't really promote any learning unless certain things come up over and over and the canon is just too big for that. However, is looking up every single clue a good use of my time? How have you guys used packets to learn?
Last edited by JBSours on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cole Horvath
New Trier '18
Cornell '22
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: How do you read packets?

Post by High Dependency Unit »

JBSours wrote:Just wondering what the best use of my time is with packets. Just reading through seems like it wouldn't really promote any learning unless certain things come up over and over and the canon is just too big for that. However, is looking up every single clue a good use of my time? How have you guys used packets to learn?

User was reminded to enable a signature. --Mgmt.
Things do come up over and over -- I look up some clues I didn't know (usually the 1-2 lines before I would've gotten it), and flashcard those.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

JBSours wrote:Just wondering what the best use of my time is with packets. Just reading through seems like it wouldn't really promote any learning unless certain things come up over and over and the canon is just too big for that. However, is looking up every single clue a good use of my time? How have you guys used packets to learn?

Packet study can actually really useful because you start to pick up common canonical clues that help you connect info and remember things better. I'd also recommend Quizbug, which displays packets to you and has well over 20,000 questions (http://www.quinterest.org/quizbug.html).
In general, personal research can be beneficial and will help to give you context for questions, just so long as you aren't studying for hours just to get information on some really obscure event that doesn't come up often. Depending on your strong suit(s) I'd recommend reading books on the content you're interested in that way you have a mental visualization of the pages and you'll have more details that might not be found in your everyday packets (ex. I'm reading Invisible Man right now so I'll have a better chance of knowing answer lines earlier). If you have any other questions, feel free to message me, I've got loads of resources.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

If you have physical hard copies, I'd also recommend highlighting information that you think is important or that you've noticed frequently that way it'll stick out more in your mind.
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019