How Do/Did you Study?

This forum is for discussing tournament formats, question styles, strategy, and such.

How Do/Did you Study?

Postby jesposito » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:23 pm

I've been wondering this a lot recently, how do people in quiz bowl study? I'm mostly talking outside of practice, but if there are some interesting things you guys do in practice that's fine too! The way I study is mainly through Quizlet. For literature, I am working my way down through the frequency list. I'll read the Wikipedia page, or Sparknotes, for the plot, then put the book title into Quizdb. I'll make flashcards to remind me of certain plot points or interesting things, then I'll look at the questions on Quizdb to see any clues that come up particularly often that I've missed. It's a very similar process for history and fine arts. That being said, how do (or did) you guys study?
Joe Esposito
Aurora, Ohio, 2019
jesposito
Kimahri

Re: How Do/Did you Study?

Postby vinteuil » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:37 pm

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14099

[alternatively: textbooks or just, like, books]
Jacob Reed
Yale '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Yuna

Postby Auks Ran Ova » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:07 pm

write questions
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Postby Couch's Kingbird » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:14 pm

For literature, I'd also highly encourage reading a lot- especially poems and short stories or excerpts from plays/novels, if you're short on time. Find what you're interested in!
Julia Tong
Middlesex MS 2011-2014
Darien 2014-2018; Co-Captain 2015-2018
Couch's Kingbird
Lulu

Postby dnlwng » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:24 pm

if you have lots and lots of cards try using specialized flashcard software (see: anki, mnemosyne). they use cool formulas to help you retain information and you don't need to have an internet connection
Daniel Wang
Canyon Crest Academy '18
dnlwng
Lulu

Postby tksaleija » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:43 pm

dnlwng wrote:if you have lots and lots of cards try using specialized flashcard software (see: anki, mnemosyne). they use cool formulas to help you retain information and you don't need to have an internet connection

This. I use Anki religiously (I've got well over 2000 cards I study using it). It helps you retain by letting you stagger the amount of time it takes for a card to pop back up. It's free for Android but not Apple. There's loads of other functions, but it's best to learn through experience.
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
tksaleija
Wakka

Postby jesposito » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 pm

tksaleija wrote:
dnlwng wrote:if you have lots and lots of cards try using specialized flashcard software (see: anki, mnemosyne). they use cool formulas to help you retain information and you don't need to have an internet connection

This. I use Anki religiously (I've got well over 2000 cards I study using it). It helps you retain by letting you stagger the amount of time it takes for a card to pop back up. It's free for Android but not Apple. There's loads of other functions, but it's best to learn through experience.

I bought Quizlet Pro, which allows you to do that spaced retention too, mainly because I can allow the rest of my quiz bowl team to access them. But yeah, this is how I do almost all of my studying.
Joe Esposito
Aurora, Ohio, 2019
jesposito
Kimahri

Postby Father Comstock » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 pm

tksaleija wrote:

2000 is a good start but you will definitely want more!!! I would say 10000 is a pretty good amount to be dominant on a category in HS. I used about 2000 history cards and definitely needed more.
Ben Anthony
Harrison High School '17, Purdue '21
I made this as a freshman, I realize my name is stupid. I never even played Bioshock. Oh whale.
Moderator, ILQBM.
Father Comstock
Lulu

Postby Periplus of the Erythraean Sea » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:03 am

Auks Ran Ova wrote:write questions

basically - you not only learn about what you put in the question, but what you tangentially learn while researching it, clues in previous questions on similar topics, and so much more!

If you want a "growth spurt" I do recommend putting your head down and reading through about five tournaments, focusing on a mix of difficulties in whatever categories you're really trying to improve at. If I were to go back to school, this would probably be high on my priority list.
Will Alston
Bethesda Chevy Chase '12
Dartmouth College '16
"You are beyond parody" -Auroni Gupta
Periplus of the Erythraean Sea
Auron

Return to Theory