Simple Free Tournament Management Software

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
herbie.brock
Lulu

Simple Free Tournament Management Software

Post by herbie.brock »

Hey everyone,

I am hosting an upcoming tournament with three rounds of pool play, reseeding, and then three more rounds of pool play. I'd like to be able to use some kind of software to organize the scores and seeding. I have checked out SQBS2 and it didn't seem to do what I needed it to (possibly operator error).

I'd like for it to be web-based, so I can show a computer screen on a projector with the standings throughout the day. Something like League Lobster works well, but I don't want to pay that much for it and I'm sure something comparable exists that is free.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Herbie Brock
Rockcastle County Middle School
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: Simple Free Tournament Management Software

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

https://neg5.org/

Pros are the obvious: essentially everything you asked for.
Cons: not really maintained right now i.e. a little flaky in terms of hosting (should be reliable for a midsize tournament) & if something bad happens you may not be able to get tech help; UI can be a little unintuitive sometimes: a common issue is for scorers to forget to submit their stats, consequently losing a game, as well as needing everyone to sign up for an account ahead of time.

Other possible options listed here: https://www.quizdb.org/resources#tournament-direction
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
herbie.brock
Lulu

Re: Simple Free Tournament Management Software

Post by herbie.brock »

Thanks for your quick reply!

I was finally able to get SQBS working. I think the problem was that I didn't have individuals assigned to each team. Since I'm only using the software to track wins and losses and not individual stats, I didn't think I should have to do that, but I went ahead and made a generic player for each team. Everything seems to work now.

I was interested in neg5, but with this being a middle school tournament and not everyone being tech savvy, I'm nervous about the self-registration aspect.

Thanks again, though!
Herbie Brock
Rockcastle County Middle School