IESA Scholastic Bowl Workshop 10/29/10

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

IESA Scholastic Bowl Workshop 10/29/10

Post by the return of AHAN »

The brochure is up.
This year, they seem to have gone with a Medieval Times theme, and I've been granted a title. No word yet on whether any land and/or peasants come with it.
As for my part of the session, I think I may just photocopy my "shortcut math" paperback from 1963, hand it out, and call it soup. :razz:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jonah
Auron

Re: IESA Scholastic Bowl Workshop 10/29/10

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

I know I am going to regret asking this. Particularly after reading the two previous posts concerning the event, as well as the idea that it has always been "themed" is not a big plus for me either. But due to golf coaching duties I have never been able to attend this annual event and so have no idea what it is and more importantly if it has any real value. Is it worth my giving up my time, when I will be up late every night with golf matches on the road that week and have an all day tournament on Saturday? More importantly is worth $40 a head or would it be more useful to attend an early tournament somewhere. the kids really enjoyed the Albus Doubledore last year and I think it helped their confidence for the IESA matches?
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

mrgsmath wrote:I know I am going to regret asking this. Particularly after reading the two previous posts concerning the event, as well as the idea that it has always been "themed" is not a big plus for me either. But due to golf coaching duties I have never been able to attend this annual event and so have no idea what it is and more importantly if it has any real value. Is it worth my giving up my time, when I will be up late every night with golf matches on the road that week and have an all day tournament on Saturday? More importantly is worth $40 a head or would it be more useful to attend an early tournament somewhere. the kids really enjoyed the Albus Doubledore last year and I think it helped their confidence for the IESA matches?
I have never been to this event; that said, I am 100% confident your money will be better spent attending a tournament.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)