CMST II Public Discussion

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

CMST II Public Discussion

Post by cvdwightw »

The Bainbridge mirror was postponed past our intended final date, but as I understand did some sort of packet-swap with the Maclay tournament in Tennessee yesterday. Therefore, all currently scheduled tournaments on the CMST set have taken place. We are no longer accepting bids, and packets have been sent to George for upload to quizbowlpackets.com.

For reference, here is a compilation of the statistics:

Tuscumbia (2/26)

Barrington (3/12) split into A (highly competitive) and B (theoretically-less-competitive B teams and lower) brackets:

A Bracket Prelims
A Bracket Overall

B Bracket Prelims
B Bracket Overall

Dorman (3/12)

Chattahoochee (3/19): [this space to be updated with link once I find one]

Longfellow (4/9)

Early College at Guilford (4/9)

Springfield (4/9): note that this tournament was played 5-on-5.

Maclay (4/16): note that this tournament used 15-point open powers (powers before "For 10 points"; this was a cool idea and is something that should be discussed for future years). Also, the team detail link is broken because I screwed up uploading things, but clicking on the first link from the error page will take you there.

I'd like to thank all of my collaborators on this project: in alphabetical order, Ankit Aggarwal, Joe Brosch, Siddhant Dogra, Brad Fischer, Zach Foster, Jonah Greenthal, Jeff Hoppes, William Horton, Adil Khan, Kay Li, Charles Martin Jr., Brendan McKendy, Fred Morlan, Jeff Price, David Reinstein, and Tristan Willey. This tournament definitely could not have been produced without you. There will almost certainly be a third edition of CMST; I anticipate posting a public call for writers sometime in September.

Anyway, discussion of the CMST set (either general or specific questions) is now open.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Re: CMST II Public Discussion

Post by Papa's in the House »

This was my first time editing any tournament, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback you have on the history, religion, myth, and current events questions (which I edited). I did not update the current events questions after finishing editing the set sometime in February.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
mrgsmath
Wakka

Post by mrgsmath »

I would say that the set was every bit as good or better than last year's. I regret that my team was missing several starters for the day and I played with 5th and 6th graders, but they all had a great time and felt the questions were tough but fair. I hope that this is a project that will continue into the future and look forward to playing on quality questions in the future.
Mark Grant
Coach - PORTA H.S.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got ."
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

mrgsmath wrote:... look forward to playing on quality questions in the future.
Which won't be happening within the next few weeks, THAT'S for sure.
:roll:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

So it's been over a week and the packets still aren't up. One of the reasons for setting the April 23 cutoff date was to allow the set to be used as high-quality practice material for teams attending MSNCT. To that end, any middle school coaches who want a copy of the set before it gets uploaded should e-mail me at dpwynne at gmail dot com. Actually, anyone who wants a copy of the set before it's uploaded should e-mail me.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
MitchAlday
Lulu

Post by MitchAlday »

cvdwightw wrote:The Bainbridge mirror was postponed past our intended final date, but as I understand did some sort of packet-swap with the Maclay tournament in Tennessee yesterday.
Note: Maclay is in Tallahassee instead of Tennessee. Also, that tournament wound up having a 5-way tie for first (all 5 teams finished with 2 losses) at the end of the round robin. I've never seen a circle-of-death quite like that! The numbers for those schools were all very similar (and impressive!)... and to think that pyramidal-style quizbowl is a relatively alien concept in South Georgia and North Florida.

Working hard to rectify that situation...
Mitch Alday
Quiz Bowl Ronin
Former Coach - Bainbridge HS (GA)