Missouri Middle Schools are being banned from Nationals

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Missouri Middle Schools are being banned from Nationals

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I just found out from NAQT that MSHSAA is banning middle schools from attending the Middle School National Championship Tournament because MSHSAA won't allow teams to participate in a national event before the start of the summer, and Middle School nationals are held in late April. This is essentially the worst decision that the MSHSAA has made in recent memory, and is obviously going to stifle the grown of our emerging serious middle school circuit and prevent any teams that want to excel from receiving national recognition. I strongly recommend people write letters to MSHSAA, local newspapers, and state politicians about this incredibly destructive policy to convince them to rewrite the rules to allow middle schoolers to attend their national championship if they are on a team is awarded a bid. I hope to hear that NAQT will take a strong stand on this issue with MSHSAA.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Nick
Wakka

Re: Missouri Middle Schools are being banned from Nationals

Post by Nick »

Does MSHSAA give a reason for this no-national-events-before-summer rule?
Nick

No.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

What is the role of MSHSAA with respect to middle schools? Is it the same as its role with respect to high schools, despite the name?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

MSHSAA governs it in the same way, except they don't actually run any tournaments. All the imposing rules, none of the hardware that administrators care about.

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

College Park Spyders wrote:MSHSAA governs it in the same way, except they don't actually run any tournaments. All the imposing rules, none of the hardware that administrators care about.
How does the MSHSAA have any such authority over middle schools in the first place?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSHSAA oversees both high school and middle school activities. Also, they define middle school as 7th and 8th grade only, so even if we were to get teams to attend nationals, an entire eligible grade will still be banned from going.

Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Do they institute the same rules for the geography bee? spelling bee? history bee? Seriously, though, this is just ludicrous. Are there any coaches out there who like this policy? I would think a petition of coaches would probably be the best way to go about changing this. Also, who overseas the activities association? They've got to be accountable to someone. Perhaps if the activities association is being completely intransigent and not even citing reasons, then maybe they could be circumvented. Odd that in a relatively conservative state like Missouri, the reasoning seems to be very infused with the spirit of Soviet communism (i.e. if some may benefit more than others, then better to keep everyone down). Maybe a Republican state legislator would get the analogy and could lean on the association to reconsider. Just some thoughts.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad

They don't institute the same rules for subject area tournaments, because the definition of scholar bowl in Missouri involves having to have a bunch of different categories. MSHSAA doesn't have oversight. There is actually an annual bill introduced by a Republican state congresswoman that attempts to break up MSHSAA because she hates that they don't have oversight. However, I think her plan would be to make MSHSAA a part of the Department of Education. Anyway, there's been talk about this before, and yes, I absolutely agree with you about the strange political state of our state's quizbowl circuit.

Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

While this is ludicrous, and people should follow Charlie's advice to write letters, this type of thing is also fairly common. Unfortunately, these rules don't generate outrage from coaches and administrators--in fact, those are the people who write and vote for such proposals. Let's hope that this rule is overturned or that a loophole is found. While we can hope that the people who did this will be held accountable or that a Republican state legislator will care, we can't expect those things to happen.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)