CMST IV @ Washington Middle School, Washington, MO March 23

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
dwd500
Wakka

CMST IV @ Washington Middle School, Washington, MO March 23

Post by dwd500 »

Quiz Bowl Coaches,

You are invited to the Washington Middle School Spring Academic Tournament on March 23rd, 2013.

The tournament will use questions from the 4th installment of the Collaborative Middle School Tournament, a set written by members of the high school and college quiz bowl communities. The previous 3 years' sets can be found on quizbowlpackets.com.

Matches will follow the NAQT-style format, with 20 tossups and attached 3-part bonuses per game. We will be using powers (15 points for an early, correct tossup) and negs (-5 points for an early, incorrect tossup.) All 3 parts of the bonuses are worth 10 points, and there will be bouncebacks on the bonuses.

The coaches/officials meeting will be at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day.

I am currently capping the field at 12 teams, and each team will have at least 6 guaranteed matches. The field can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff.

Most of my usual readers are music folk, and the 23rd is not great for them (it's the district music festival) but as it's the only available weekend, that's when we will need to do it. I am offering a discount to teams that can provide a capable, experienced reader. Please let me know if you have such a person, so that I can extend the cap and let other teams know we have the ability to host them.

Prices are:
- $30 for the first team from a school,
- $25 for each additional team. (B, C, D, etc.)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $10 discount (limit 2 per team)
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $10 discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $10 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to choose our moderators. If we have enough staff, we may not offer this discount.
- The minimum entry for a school is $10.

Schools are encouraged to split large groups into more than one team. Please, no more than 8 kids a team. Our goal is to maximize playing time, and with large squads, it is very difficult to do so.

Teams will need to have presented a purchase order, purchase order number, or check for all fees before they are considered entered. Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Be sure to register early. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

Teams placing 1st and 2nd will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books) for the top 10 individual scorers.

Our school’s address is 1401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 - turn right at the 100-41 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

If you have any other questions, my email is [email protected].

Thanks,

David Dennis
Washington Middle School Brain Bowl team coach
David Dennis
Middle School Choir Director
District Scholar Bowl Coach
Washington, MO

Murray State University, 2001
Breckinridge County High School, KY 1996
dwd500
Wakka

Re: CMST IV @ Washington Middle School, Washington, MO March 23

Post by dwd500 »

Field: (12 of 12)

Bismark
Pilot grove (2)
Richland (2)
St. Clair
Sullivan
Tuscumbia
Washington (4)
David Dennis
Washington, MO

dwd500
Wakka

Re: CMST IV @ Washington Middle School, Washington, MO March 23

Post by dwd500 »

Teams were put in 2 pools of 6, and were then seeded into 3 groups of 4. The top group saw Washington B beat Washington A 320-200 for what amounted to the final. Washington C beat Sullivan for 3rd place.

Full stats are here
David Dennis
Washington, MO