IESA Advisory Committee Meeting 5/30/13

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

IESA Advisory Committee Meeting 5/30/13

Post by the return of AHAN »

My Assistant Principal came to me today to discuss the prepared agenda for tomorrow's Advisory Committee meeting for IESA Scholastic Bowl. Among the bullet points to be discussed;
State Series Issues
*) Series format (suggestion received to switch to single-elimination format in regionals) :shock: :shock: :shock:
*) Slam-In
*) Questions Galore
*) Questions (too long, too difficult) :lol: :lol: :lol:

There were other things, but these were the ones I remembered. I'm hopeful that my AP can be a voice of reason in the room and effectively advocate my positions better than I could (I'm too prone to getting confrontational in these settings). :roll:
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eddie
Rikku

Re: IESA Advisory Committee Meeting 5/30/13

Post by Eddie »

Not strictly related, but I find it hilarious that the "Question Providers" PDF on the IESA Scholastic Bowl main page refers to NAQT as "National Association of Quizbowl Tournaments."
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
the return of AHAN
Auron

Results of the meeting... The idea of a single elimination was soundly rejected, Questions Galore got another contract to do State Series, suggestions will be forwarded to QG about making the questions not so hosey (though there appears to be no enforcement mechanism), teams will only report matches played under IESA rules as part of their official match record (teams were apparently a bit cowed by us reporting a 65-1 record in the State Finals Program, so that'll be enough of that), the moderators should have latitude to accept something other than the exact wording printed on the paper (they always have had this power, but low-information moderators ignore it since it allows them to hide that fact, so, no change here), and a coach complained that "Luncheon on the Grass" is inappropriate to toss-up to middle schoolers (translation: I don't teach my kids about art. Here's a convenient excuse for not answering art questions).
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
MichaelFalk
Lulu

Post by MichaelFalk »

the return of AHAN wrote:low-information moderators
:lol:
the return of AHAN wrote:a coach complained that "Luncheon on the Grass" is inappropriate to toss-up to middle schoolers
Yeah, 'cause THAT'S the problem with answer selection in those series. Maybe she'd be appeased-- or at least not complain-- if they wrote a tossup on something like "Dejeuner sur l'herbe" instead.
--
Michael Falk
Played for Iowa State University, 2001-2004
Coaching for St. Mary's Visitation (Elm Grove, WI), grades 6-8, 2010-present
the return of AHAN
Auron

MichaelFalk wrote:
Yeah, 'cause THAT'S the problem with answer selection in those series. Maybe she'd be appeased-- or at least not complain-- if they wrote a tossup on something like "Dejeuner sur l'herbe" instead.
The coach's beef was with the fact that the clues written described the central figure as a nude lady surrounded by clothed businessmen. Middle schoolers don't know what nudity is and if they do, they sure aren't allowed to see it. :roll:
Jeff Price
the return of AHAN
Auron

From the synopsis of the IESA Executive Board meeting...
Four recommendations were presented to the Board and all four were accepted. A five team regional will now be organized as round-robin competition in two pools (one pool with two teams and one pool with three teams for a total of four rounds) instead of true round-robin competition where each of the teams play four matches resulting in five rounds of competition. The second recommendation approved requires schools to report only their IESA scholastic bowl matches as their season record when reporting their record online and schools will be seeded using onlythe IESA scholastic bowl record. A change was made to the moderator's re-reading of a toss-up question after being pre-empted. Finally, language will be added to that articulates there are no maximum number of contest limitations.
This summary, unfortunately makes no mention of the lifting of travel restrictions for non-athletic activities. Either the proposal wasn't well-received, or Mr. Endsley didn't broach the topic. Or it's possible the matter was completely overlooked by the writer of the synopsis.
Jeff Price