Younger players

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
tiwonge
Yuna

Younger players

Post by tiwonge »

Lately, I've been trying to establish a middle school circuit in Boise, so I've been contacting schools in the area. A lot of them have no experience with quiz bowl, so they have lots of questions. One question they asked, though, I wanted to see what others felt about it.

For schools that are K-8, is it appropriate for 4th and 5th graders to play? I went ahead and gave them the green light to play (it means better, more experienced players when they get to 7th or 8th grade, or in high school), but I was wondering what the policy was on this elsewhere.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Younger players

Post by Important Bird Area »

It is absolutely fine for younger students to play. Just make sure that you warn them about difficulty ahead of time (as they will certainly encounter material taught in 7th and 8th grades).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

In Missouri, there's a formal system of 7th and 8th grade competition regulated by MSHSAA (state HS activities association), and no students from other grades may compete in competition against any teams registered with MSHSAA junior high scholar bowl programs.

Students in the 6th grade and under have no formal, regulated system of competition. In the most organized competitions on good questions so far for elementary students, at Tuscumbia hosted by Jason Loy, he has allowed any student in 6th grade or younger.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

As long as the younger players are interested, they should have no trouble in enjoying quizbowl, which of course is the most important first step.
What also can be very helpful is persuading the parents of the kids to be involved in QB; the younger they are, the more their parents will be able to help them grow. Also, they're a big help when you need rides and funding and such :grin:

If you are planning on using NAQT MS-sets, then the difficulty shouldn't be too bad- we've had one elementary school come to various tournaments in the region, and they've been able to put up points and wins against middle school teams.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

KoreanTacos wrote:If you are planning on using NAQT MS-sets, then the difficulty shouldn't be too bad- we've had one elementary school come to various tournaments in the region, and they've been able to put up points and wins against middle school teams.
We'll be using NAQT MS sets. Are there any other MS sets available? The CMST doesn't look like it's being done this year.
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
Member, PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Pyramidal sets? NAQT is the only game in town. If you're willing to lower your standards where reverse pyramidal, transparent, and hose questions are sprinkled in, then there are other vendors.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------