Bay Area Elementary School Tournament (9/27)

Dormant threads from the middle school section are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Bay Area Elementary School Tournament (9/27)

Post by Important Bird Area »

The Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance is pleased to announce that the first Bay Area elementary school tournament will take place on Sunday, September 27, 2015.

Location: This tournament will take place at the Embasssy Suites Santa Clara, 2885 Lakeside Drive in Santa Clara.

Questions: We will be using the SAGES set produced by Alex Dzurick of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance.

Qualifiers: This tournament will be excellent practice for upcoming middle school tournaments. Teams are encouraged to participate even though this tournament is not a qualifier for any national championships (because there is currently no national championship of elementary school quizbowl).

Eligibility: This tournament is open to any players who have not yet completed sixth grade. All schools with applicable grade/age levels (public, private, charter, religious, homeschool, etc.) are eligible to play in this event.

Schools are encouraged to enter multiple teams, but please note that players must play for the same team throughout the tournament.

Fees:

Base fee: $50 per team

$10 discount: second or subsequent team from the same school

$10 discount: per working buzzer system (must accommodate at least eight players)

$20 discount: per experienced moderator

$10 discount: per scorekeeper (We will hold a brief training session during check-in for those volunteers who have never kept score before.)

Payment will be taken at check-in on September 27th. Please make checks out to "Jeff Hoppes."

How to register: please contact the tournament director, Jeff Hoppes ([email protected]), on or before Wednesday, September 23rd, indicating how many teams, buzzers, and staff your school plans to bring.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Re: Bay Area Elementary School Tournament (9/27)

Field (5):

Challenger-Ardenwood
Gurukalam A
Gurukalam B
Kennedy + Lincoln
Pi-oneers

Last updated 9/17 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Details for Sunday have been emailed to the five registered teams. Check-in is at 1 pm in the Diplomat room.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Challenger-Ardenwood, who defeated the Pi-oneers 345-215 in the first game of an advantaged final to win the first Bay Area Elementary School Tournament!

Complete team and individual statistics are now available.

My thanks to:

-our hosts from the Embassy Suites Santa Clara
-Alex Dzurick of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance for providing the questions
-Sean Lin of San Jose State

I hope all five teams will be able to join us this winter for our series of NAQT middle school events.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF