Announcing QuizDB: "Knowledge is Power"

The scariest thing of all is Protobowl

Announcing QuizDB: "Knowledge is Power"

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm very happy to announce the public release of QuizDB!

QuizDB is a new searchable Quizbowl database and the designated modern successor to Quinterest. I'll answer the most important question first:

Why should I use QuizDB instead?

• A rapidly improving feature set, limited to not just search but planned features like stats, a question reader, and minor improvements like multiple filter selection.
  • A continually growing question dataset, already with over 110K questions and quickly improving thanks to a dedicated portal, with all Quinterest admins already switched over.
  • Mobile-first design philosophy, meaning the site and all features will function and look good on any size device. (Except maybe a 2-inch spy phone.)

If you enjoy the site, please consider donating! According to my stats, I've spent a little over 24 hours directly just typing code, and all server hosting fees are paid for out of pocket right now (edit: I have since received initial funding from PACE. Thank you!). And of course, if you have any feedback please post in this thread or PM me through my forum account :)

Here's a quick list of the best features so far:
  • A compiled Resources guide, linking to all the best resources needed to get a new player hitting the ground running.
  • Multiple filter selection, meaning you can now do things as crazy as search for Science AND Literature at the same time! (I know, right?)
  • Native mobile app: if you're visiting QuizDB on certain mobile browsers, you can select the "Add to Home Screen" option to create a native app! When offline questions arrive, that means you can use QuizDB features without internet!
  • Quick search links: all questions have embedded links to search Google, Wikipedia, etc., so you won't even have to laboriously open a new tab!
  • In question error reporting, so that you(!) can help us improve question coverage!

If you'd like to see future features, you can visit this page. A drive-by list: statsmoxonadvancedsearchofflinequestionsstarredquestionspersonalsitepreferenceswoah!

Thank you for checking my site out!

<QuizDB is sponsored by PACE. Thank you for your support!>
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Re: Announcing QuizDB: "Knowledge is Power"

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Updates

• 9/10/17: 1.0.1. Updated site meta-info.
  • 9/12/17: 1.0.2. Minor bug fixes.
  • 9/12/17: 1.1.0. Stats page! More minor bug fixes and feature improvements.
  • 9/17/17: 1.1.1. More encoding fixes and appearance improvements.
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby vinteuil » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:56 pm

Hey, just popping in here to say that I've been super excited by QuizDB, which looks and works a dream (as both a user and an admin), and Raynor has been fantastically responsive to suggestions as well as putting in a huge coding effort. It's great to know that the Quinterest DB is in a more sustainable and even better setting now.
Jacob Reed
Yale '19
East Chapel Hill '13
"...distant bayings from the musicological mafia"―Denis Stevens
vinteuil
Yuna

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for the praise Jacob! I also want to thank Jacob here for helping me migrate all of Quinterest's questions over to QuizDB. In addition, I'd like to thank Rohit (Quinterest creator) and Jerry (QBDB creator) for their feedback while creating QuizDB, as well as all of the admins who were instrumental in testing during the beta period or who have already signed up since I've announced the site. Thank you!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby Neggman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Hey Raynor this looks awesome!

I know nothing about coding, so I'm really not sure how simple this is, but the only suggestion I would have is to have the "wikipedia search" button search only for the actual answer line and not the entirety of the answer line (including prompts and whatnot). Having it search the entire thing leads to things like "Great Wall of China [or Wanli Changcheng; or Wan-li Ch'ang-ch'eng; prompt on "Mongolia," "Inner Mongolia," "China," "Northern China," or "Manchuria"]" in the wiki search box, which turns up nothing (I just tried). Obviously this can be resolved easily on the user's part who just has to delete all the extra stuff, but figured I would let you know.

Overall thanks so much this! (also does Venmo work for donations since I have money in venmo but not my account and am feeling especially lazy about transferring it back and waiting a few days?)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '20
Neggman
Lulu

Postby tksaleija » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:11 pm

A beautifully-working interface mixed with high question quality AND content is an excellent way to start off the year. Great job!!

On another note, I took a look at the future projects area and noticed the Moxon question reader was a pending idea. How high on your priority list is that update?
Aleija Rodriguez
Monroe County Middle College '19
Monroe County Community College '19
tksaleija
Lulu

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Neggman wrote:Hey Raynor this looks awesome!

I know nothing about coding, so I'm really not sure how simple this is, but the only suggestion I would have is to have the "wikipedia search" button search only for the actual answer line and not the entirety of the answer line (including prompts and whatnot). Having it search the entire thing leads to things like "Great Wall of China [or Wanli Changcheng; or Wan-li Ch'ang-ch'eng; prompt on "Mongolia," "Inner Mongolia," "China," "Northern China," or "Manchuria"]" in the wiki search box, which turns up nothing (I just tried). Obviously this can be resolved easily on the user's part who just has to delete all the extra stuff, but figured I would let you know.

Overall thanks so much this! (also does Venmo work for donations since I have money in venmo but not my account and am feeling especially lazy about transferring it back and waiting a few days?)

Okay, first of all, thank you so much for being willing to donate! Yes, Venmo works great, and if you can't find me on Venmo, feel free to PM me so I can give you the details. (Just trying to avoid spreading the username on the public internet.) Anything is super helpful :)

With respect to the Wikipedia thing, this is something I've thought about! This falls under the general header of "figuring out what the answerline really is," which is both easy and hard. (I'd also been thinking about this for Moxon stuff, where it'll be useful for the parser to figure out if your answer is right.)

The easy way to do this is to just parse the specified answerline when there's formatting (e.g. bold, underline) present. This is very easy but depends on humans being good about formatting. I'll probably push an update with this within the week. (And as a side note, the best way for people to get better coverage here is to sign up as admins or report errors so admins can track down these questions :)

The hard way is something similar to how Protobowl does it, which is tokenization of answerlines, and what will be used as a fallback when the parser can't detect a manually specified answerline. Having taken a brief look at the code, Protobowl has a semi-sophisticated, but not super advanced method, for doing this, which I'll probably borrow as a good start--if Protobowl is okay with that--but will want to supersede with some kind of Natural Language Processing based approach later. This will be discussed more when Moxon is a thing :) (see next post)
Last edited by UlyssesInvictus on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:31 pm

tksaleija wrote:A beautifully-working interface mixed with high question quality AND content is an excellent way to start off the year. Great job!!

On another note, I took a look at the future projects area and noticed the Moxon question reader was a pending idea. How high on your priority list is that update?

It's moving up very quickly! I initially didn't really want to do it, but conversations with people who wanted it and the QANTA people about some cool ideas involving an actual AI (the name is a hint toward that :P) have increased my desire for making it.

Nevertheless, it'll still take a while, since I want to do it well. I'm planning the current release schedule:

- November 1: Basic, solo parsing/playing. Similar to what's on QuizBug right now.
- (sometime in between): Integrated study tools, also similar to what's on QuizBug right now.
- January 1: AI play!
- June 1: Multiplayer play.

It's all a little up in the air since there are other features I also want to work on at the same time and have to balance (and, you know, my day job). The reason the multiplayer stuff is coming out so much later than everything else is that (1) it's actually some of the web tech I'm least familiar with, so I'm saving time to research it (2) a lot of the initial backlash against Protobowl was because of bad community moderation, so I'm going to wait until I'm certain that won't be an issue.

As much as people have ragged on Protobowl at times, the code is actually quite good and advanced, so I'm going to try hard to meet their standards and produce something that's both fun to use and a sophisticated study tool.

So tl;dr: stay tuned!
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Just pushed a quick set of hotfixes for various issues I noticed. In the future I'll post these in the updates post (2nd from the top), unless they're major features, in which case I'll probably bring attention to them here.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby wcheng » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am

One minor issue: it looks like some characters with diacritics aren't displaying properly right now. Besides that, though, this looks like an excellent resource and improvement on Quinterest!
Weijia Cheng
Centennial '15
Maryland '18 (Fall)
wcheng
Lulu

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:34 am

The diacritics and other encoding issues are annoying since they actually come directly from the Quinterest database i.e. they're formatted that way in the original information. (I suspect that when people were pasting to Quinterest from PDFs, the copy/paste formatter just guessed on the character instead of actually knowing what it was.)

I'm writing fixes that silently replace known broken special characterd with what they should be, so post here if you see more! (I already know about the random Angstrom symbols and some f's being Chinese characters instead.)
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Overall, I generally like the flashcard txt export but I've noticed that it always exports every question found under the search criteria, even if you only want a limited amount. By this, I mean that when trying to download the set of 10 hs history questions shown, it instead downloads all of the hs history questions in QuizDB. Not a huge issue, but I figured it important to mention in case someone wants to print off small packets.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Lulu

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Oh, I did that on purpose because I figured there'd never be a case where someone wanted to restrict how many they were downloading. Hmm...

I'll think about a compromise. The reason I'm not just having the download size match the number of search results shown is then you'd have to load all the search results, and that can actually crash your webpage for queries that are too big. (Too many things on the page.) Until I get a paging system implemented, downloading all the text and then having the user appropriately pare it down might be the compromise.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:11 am

About to push a big new feature: the Stats page! This page is pretty experimental with regards to most of the actual data inside of it, but IMO it's very pretty currently. (And should stay pretty even on mobile: let me know if it's not.)

I'll also be pushing multiple minor new features and bug fixes. The full changelog can be found by parsing the Git log.

As part of the push, the website may become sluggish or even go down for the next hour (around 2-3 AM Tuesday morning) or so. If it's still being weird after that, let me know.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Postby tksaleija » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 am

I am really impressed with the stats page as a whole. Not only does it give you an idea of how common a topic is, but also shows you what phrases come up most often (really good for narrowing down what to study). Overall, great stats page, flows well, and another great addition to an already good site.
Aleija Rodriguez
tksaleija
Lulu

Postby UlyssesInvictus » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 am

Account creation is currently borked--will try to fix it at lunch.

Also, because of some javascript fooey (service workers, if anyone cares for the technical minutiae), you'll either have to hard refresh or use incognito to see updates to the web portal. Eventually your browser should adapt and load updates regularly for you, but I'm working on a better system.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Ex-Writer for NAQT
UlyssesInvictus
Rikku

Return to Databases and Quizbowl Software