Gyaankosh???

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rgs1983
Kimahri

Gyaankosh???

Post by rgs1983 »

It's been a couple of weeks now that it has been down, just wondering if anyone knows what has happened to this database?
User was reminded to add a signature.
Roy Singh
Valencia
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Re: Gyaankosh???

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I'm not Arnav so I obviously don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it seems like Gyaankosh tends to go in and out over time, sometimes multiple times a day and sometimes over the course of weeks. The questions on it haven't been updated in a while, though. You're probably best off using Sharad Vikram's Quizbowl DB to suit your question-searching needs for the moment (though I don't think QuizbowlDB has updated the questions in its database since mid-2011).
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
rgs1983
Kimahri

Post by rgs1983 »

Yeah I hope Gyaankosh does come back up. Quizbowl DB has the potential of being the best of the four databases. But Gyaankosh has much more packets even though it has not been updated since 2010 and much more college packets. And gives you the opportunity to look at the bonus which is an important feature.
Roy Singh
Valencia
Eärendil
Wakka

Post by Eärendil »

Hello,

I had to renew the Gyaankosh domain name recently and tried to check in to the site. What I found was that the site was down, and has been down since June. It seems my webhost transferred my account to a new set of servers, and this transition somehow interrupted service (despite all assurances to the contrary).

So, over the next few weeks I will be moving Gyaankosh to a more reliable webhost. It will be a replica of the site before it went down in June. Once it's back up, I will move forward with a number of planned improvements (including catching up on recent packets).

Unfortunately, I do not have much free time right now, so I can't promise a date when everything will be fixed. When it does go live, I will announce it in this thread. Otherwise, I rarely peruse the boards, so PM me if you need to get in touch.

Thanks.
Arnav // Stanford University
rgs1983
Kimahri

Post by rgs1983 »

Hello,
Thank You for replying when you had the time and I apologize for not replying as soon as possible (It has been weeks since I looked at this discussion thinking no one would reply back). But anyways, I am happy to hear that you are not pulling the plug off of this database and that you are planning to keep it up and adding more recent packets. I do go to the other quizbowl databases, but it is nothing in comparison to Gyaankosh with it having much more college packets and having the opportunity to read and focus on the bonus. I try to go to the Gyaankosh website on a daily bases to see if it is back up. I hope to hear from you again as soon as possible and your announcement on having the website up and running. Thanks again.

User was reminded to add his affiliation to his signature.
Roy Singh
Valencia