Quinterest: Hassle-free Database Search

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.
KnicksRule
Wakka

Re: Quinterest: Hassle-free Database Search

Post by KnicksRule »

Can GSAC, HFT, and other house wrights be put on the database as well?
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

KnicksRule wrote:Can GSAC, HFT, and other house wrights be put on the database as well?
Not until their editors clear them to be posted. Putting up this year's questions on the database is asking for trouble.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

Sorry for the confusion, I meant from previous years.
Last edited by KnicksRule on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

KnicksRule wrote:I meant from previous years.
Notably difficulty-completely-appropriate tournaments HFT 2008 and 2009 are up there...
Sarcasm aside: why these specifically? There is quite a bit up there already.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

KnicksRule wrote:I meant from previous years.
Ok, cool. Just wanted to make sure that was what you meant, Abhinav.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
sbfromcopley
Lulu

Post by sbfromcopley »

Is the database for bonus questions going to be expanded? The bonus feature could be super useful if there were more questions in it, I feel like a lot of the times when I search in the bonuses I don't get any results
Sayeef Moyen
Copley '15
Ohio State '19
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

The search feature has gotten a lot less effective recently: when I search for something like "James I", it gives me every result in existence with the words "james" and the letter "i" in it, instead of just questions about James I. Was this change intentional?
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

If one uses Quinterest's "study" tool to look up Social Science, it returns the message "Sorry, there are no matching results study." [sic], even though searching typical social science answerlines (e.g. Margaret Mead) brought back plenty of questions, all of which were labelled as Social Science. This only happens when one uses "study" for Social Science--all other categories are fine. Glitch?
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

RexSueciae wrote:If one uses Quinterest's "study" tool to look up Social Science, it returns the message "Sorry, there are no matching results study." [sic], even though searching typical social science answerlines (e.g. Margaret Mead) brought back plenty of questions, all of which were labelled as Social Science. This only happens when one uses "study" for Social Science--all other categories are fine. Glitch?
If you search "mead" on Social Science in the regular database search, it won't work. It's probably just an issue with social science.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Chef Curry
Lulu

Post by Chef Curry »

The search feature has gotten a lot less effective recently: when I search for something like "James I", it gives me every result in existence with the words "james" and the letter "i" in it, instead of just questions about James I. Was this change intentional?
Great software, I just wanted to say that it has helped me. And I am also coming across sort of the same things with multiple other search queries: when I type in "Mary I" it comes up with questions on the Teutonic Knights and even one on Parkinson's Disease. But otherwise, it is really useful.
Ahan Patel
Manheim Township High School '17
Villanova '21
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Will new packets ever be added to this database?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

RyuAqua wrote:Will new packets ever be added to this database?
Rohit, I think I've mentioned that I'm more than happy to help doing such a thing, but you haven't sent me any new stuff to format.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Robbie Ram
Wakka

Post by Robbie Ram »

I second Matt's question... I would love to see some additional tournaments / packets added. I hope Rohit (or whoever's in charge of Quinterest these days) will consider getting some help formatting & uploading packets if it's too burdensome to do individually. This is too good of a quizbowl study tool to go stagnant!
Michael P. Campana
Coach/sponsor, Quiz Bowl Club
Mark Twain Middle School
Alexandria, VA
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

Announcement:

I have some confessions to make. I understand my stark absence from the hsquizbowl scene has caused some speculation as to what is going to happen to Quinterest. In the past few months, my focus on quiz bowl has seemed to have drifted and I do not see it as something that I prioritize in my future. I have just graduated high school and I will be attending UC Berkeley in the Fall, majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS), and quiz bowl at Berkeley still seems like an option; however, I do not see it becoming a huge part of my college experience. I understand that Quinterest in a valuable tool to many individuals in the quiz bowl community that is used on a daily basis (over a million hits since launch!). As so, effective immediately, I am actively searching for somebody in the quiz bowl community with some programming experience to take over Quinterest and continue to improve it, add packets/questions, etc. If anybody has any interest in maintaining/improving Quinterest into their own creation, please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]. I understand that many people don't want to see this project die.

However, if nobody expresses any interest in taking Quinterest off my hands, I will continue to pay the hosting fee and keep the site running in its current state in the future.
Last edited by rohitx15 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
http://www.quinterest.org
[email protected]
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

rohitx15 wrote:Announcement:

I have some confessions to make. I understand my stark absence from the hsquizbowl scene has caused some speculation as to what is going to happen to Quinterest. In the past few months, my focus on quiz bowl has seemed to have drifted and I do not see it as something that I prioritize in my future. I have just graduated high school and I will be attending UC Berkeley in the Fall, majoring in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS), and quiz bowl at Berkeley still seems like an option; however, I do not see it becoming a huge part of my college experience. I understand that Quinterest in a valuable tool to many individuals in the quiz bowl community that is used on a daily basis (over a million hits since launch!). As so, effective immediately, I am actively searching for somebody in the quiz bowl community with some programming experience to take over Quinterest and continue to improve it, add packets/questions, etc. If anybody has any interest in maintaining/improving Quinterest into their own creation, please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]. I understand that many people don't want to see this project die.

However, if nobody expresses any interest in taking Quinterest off my hands, I will continue to pay the hosting fee and keep the sight running in its current state in the future.
I'll do this-I might have to learn some stuff about a few of the things you're using on the website, but that shouldn't be an issue.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Robbie Ram wrote:
I second Matt's question... I would love to see some additional tournaments / packets added. I hope Rohit (or whoever's in charge of Quinterest these days) will consider getting some help formatting & uploading packets if it's too burdensome to do individually. This is too good of a quizbowl study tool to go stagnant!
OK, so here's what I'm planning on adding, at first (this might take quite a while, but it's the plan!):

PACE NSC 2012-2014 (when that's clear)
all HSAPQ regular season and NASAT sets 2012-2014
ACF Fall 2011, and all ACF sets 2012-2014

Let me know if you'd like to help with formatting/updating!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

I would like to formally thank Jacob Reed for taking on this project. I firmly believe he can continue to improve and update Quinterest in order to keep it as a valuable study resource for the quiz bowl community. I will continue to pay the hosting fee and will still have access to the site in case of anything going wrong; however, from here on out, Quinterest is mainly under the control and direction of Jacob Reed. Thank you, again.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
[email protected]
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2BNmn8TYdE

Have you ever wanted to use a hastily hacked-together, ugly, slightly tedious webpage to add questions to a quizbowl search engine? Well, now you can! I used the scraps of my old ECHHS Quizbowl "literature quiz" input to put together a front-end for the Quinterest database. If you want there to be more questions on this, PM or email me, and I'll send you the link and the password.

I just put in packet 2 of PACE 2013, and it took me about 7 minutes (partly because copying and pasting from a pdf is a little harder than from word), so this should make it much easier to keep Quinterest updated.

This is tossups-only for now, but I'll add bonuses...sometime.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

vinteuil wrote:I just put in packet 2 of PACE 2013, and it took me about 7 minutes (partly because copying and pasting from a pdf is a little harder than from word)
http://www.pdfonline.com/
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Matt Weiner wrote:
vinteuil wrote:I just put in packet 2 of PACE 2013, and it took me about 7 minutes (partly because copying and pasting from a pdf is a little harder than from word)
http://www.pdfonline.com/
Thanks! I'm sure I'll improve my workflow drastically with experience (as tends to happen), and I might figure out some ways to streamline the input procedure.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I'm excited to announce that Quinterest now supports finer subcategorization of questions! I've rolled this feature out for the tossups-only search (will be added to bonuses and the soon-to-come combined search), but keep in mind that only one packet (PACE NSC 2013 packet 3) has been subcategorized so far, so there won't be many results until the database is updated, which could take...years. Regardless, all new additions will be subcategorized, so that should ameliorate the problem of updating in the meantime.

Additional tweaks: categories supported now include "Current Events"

[EDIT: Just noting that, even with subcategories, this packet took about 5 minutes. It's quick and easy to contribute!]
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

I figured it was time Quinterest had a facelift. Well, a new design has been implemented! Meet the new Quinterest.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
[email protected]
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Hey Jacob is there any chance that you could add in all the NHBB questions as well, not just the ones from nationals?
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

The plan is, eventually, to have all good quizbowl questions on Quinterest. So, yes, but it might take a while.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

Is there any chance you can make the color scheme simpler? The old color scheme was fine, but with this one I think there are too many colors and it makes the text hard to read + it hurts the eyes.

User was reminded to enable a signature --Mgmt.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

More small updates: the list of tournaments on the right is now automatically generated, and it changes based on the difficulty level selected! You'll also notice some new additions to the list!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I've now fully updated bonus search, and introduced a new combined bonus/tossup search (the new default). I'm going to go ahead and call all of this "Version 2.0".

That should be it for updates for now, I think. Thanks to Matt Jackson for encouraging the addition of many of these new features, and to Stephen Eltinge for suggesting a very simple, easy-to-implement fix for adding subcategories.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

TRIPLE POST
Joker wrote:Is there any chance you can make the color scheme simpler? The old color scheme was fine, but with this one I think there are too many colors and it makes the text hard to read + it hurts the eyes.

Yeah, the new colors bother me a bit too. I'll think about changing them if I do a major aesthetic revamp, but Rohit also might want to explain his choices here? or tweak them further?
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

Joker wrote:Is there any chance you can make the color scheme simpler? The old color scheme was fine, but with this one I think there are too many colors and it makes the text hard to read + it hurts the eyes.

I agree. The main purpose of the site is readability, so I decided to go with a much more modern and flat look and took away a lot of the unnecessary colors. Check it out now.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
[email protected]
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

rohitx15 wrote:

I agree. The main purpose of the site is readability, so I decided to go with a much more modern and flat look and took away a lot of the unnecessary colors. Check it out now.
For what it's worth, black/dark gray text usually seems to work best. Otherwise, you end up with these problems when using Ctrl+F:

Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
rohitx15
Lulu

Post by rohitx15 »

Corry wrote:
rohitx15 wrote:

For what it's worth, black/dark gray text usually seems to work best. Otherwise, you end up with these problems when using Ctrl+F:

That's not the design I had uploaded. The design I had originally uploaded is now online. It seems that the design keep reverting whenever Jacob and I upload files (we must be altering different files). However, it is fixed now. Hopefully, it doesn't revert back again.
Rohit Lalchandani
Bassett High School '14
UC Berkeley '18
Creator of Quinterest
[email protected]
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

vinteuil wrote:More small updates: the list of tournaments on the right is now automatically generated, and it changes based on the difficulty level selected! You'll also notice some new additions to the list!
what do you mean by "automatically generated"?
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Shangdevin wrote:
vinteuil wrote:More small updates: the list of tournaments on the right is now automatically generated, and it changes based on the difficulty level selected! You'll also notice some new additions to the list!
what do you mean by "automatically generated"?
Previously, the list of tournaments was hard-coded into the HTML; now the page uses AJAX to retrieve all of the tournaments that have at least 1 question in the database that meets the difficulty criterion and feeds that list into the menu.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

I tend to use interface-friendly mode, since default Quinterest doesn't work well on half a screen, since the menus get compressed. It hasn't been working recently though; it's been giving a 404 error every time I try to search anything.

Also, the color scheme when I search things has stayed with the really bright colors; I'll try clearing my cache but I'm just letting you guys know that it still is inconsistent.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Santa Claus wrote:I tend to use interface-friendly mode, since default Quinterest doesn't work well on half a screen, since the menus get compressed. It hasn't been working recently though; it's been giving a 404 error every time I try to search anything.

Also, the color scheme when I search things has stayed with the really bright colors; I'll try clearing my cache but I'm just letting you guys know that it still is inconsistent.
I'll fix interface mode soon; sorry about that!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I can't get the Study feature to work with bonuses. I input that I want 5 bonuses of any high school difficulty, and I get 5 high school tossups instead.

Thank you for working on this great database!
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Pendit76 wrote:I can't get the Study feature to work with bonuses. I input that I want 5 bonuses of any high school difficulty, and I get 5 high school tossups instead.

I'll be adding this along with the interface mode fix sometime later this week.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

vinteuil wrote:
Pendit76 wrote:I can't get the Study feature to work with bonuses. I input that I want 5 bonuses of any high school difficulty, and I get 5 high school tossups instead.

I'll be adding this along with the interface mode fix sometime later this week.
It seems like Interface mode is still broken right now.

On a more positive note, I'd like to thank you for the work you've been doing. I've been using quinterest pretty frequently in the last few days, and it's really refreshing to see new questions finally show up throughout the database.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Whoops, I forgot about all of this! Sorry—this will happen, this week.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Corry wrote: It seems like Interface mode is still broken right now.
Fixed!

EDIT: So is study mode. Thanks for your patience everyone!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

An update on updates:

Sets are being added to Quinterest (especially tossups) at a pretty good pace, as I hope people have noticed! You basically have Nicholas Karas to thank for this—he's done an absolutely enormous amount of work, and I at least am extremely grateful for it.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
kmattix
Lulu

Post by kmattix »

Would it also be possible to add tags or categories for each question in order to help sort through mixed category questions?
Keith Mattix
'16 Germantown High School
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

kmattix wrote:Would it also be possible to add tags or categories for each question in order to help sort through mixed category questions?
There currently is no category for "mixed" (we're just putting that kind of thing under Trash)—I'm a bit confused by your question.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Santa Claus
Rikku

Post by Santa Claus »

vinteuil wrote:
Corry wrote: It seems like Interface mode is still broken right now.
Fixed!

EDIT: So is study mode. Thanks for your patience everyone!
Thanks a lot for fixing this; the feature really makes the database that much more useful.
Kevin Wang
Arcadia High School 2015
Amherst College 2019

2018 PACE NSC Champion
2019 PACE NSC Champion
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Julian Fuchs has contributed a major javascript renovation for the main page. Progress on adding questions continues (more slowly due to the school thing), again largely thanks to Nicholas Karas.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
rajk
Lulu

Post by rajk »

Is Quinterest open source? I can't find anything about that on the site.
Bala
UC Berkeley, 2018
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Quinterest has been acting weirdly for me on Chrome for the past few days; search terms are just not returning any results whatsoever and the "Tournament" drop-down isn't showing any tournaments, just "all." It works in interface mode and on other browsers I tried. I updated Chrome and still no dice.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Lefty734
Lulu

Post by Lefty734 »

Aaron's Rod wrote:Quinterest has been acting weirdly for me on Chrome for the past few days; search terms are just not returning any results whatsoever and the "Tournament" drop-down isn't showing any tournaments, just "all." It works in interface mode and on other browsers I tried. I updated Chrome and still no dice.
Same for me.
Nick Pinto
Flowery Branch High School '15
"Rappaccini's Daughters"
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

I'll take a look at the new JS (interface mode functions rather differently from the main page right now) and see if I can figure it out. I still can't get it to break in Chrome on my computer or a few other computers I've tried at the library etc.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

For whatever reason, it's working for me now.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto