Guide to Packet Difficulty

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Theodore
Wakka

Guide to Packet Difficulty

Post by Theodore »

So I've made this guide to packet difficulty.

People have already given me constructive criticism on missing and mis-categorized sets, and I encourage the community to continue to do so.

Fred Morlan suggested that I further subdivide sets by year, which is something I would like to do. I would just require input from the community as to how to categorize them, as I haven't played many sets written pre-2011.

My other concern: LIST and (the modern) Prison Bowl are both categorized in the regular high school difficulty tier. However, LIST is clearly easier, but not enough for it to be IS-A level. To resolve this, should there be some sort of quantified scale? e.g. Each set could have a rating out of 5 or 10 stars, or 100. Of course, the tiers would still be there to give a general understanding of difficulty.

I'd be happy to move this to quizbowlpackets.com or some other Quizbowl website to make it more easily accessible, as long as I get a small mention or so.

Mods/admin--feel free to move the relevant posts from the "What packets should I study?" topic to here if you deem it necessary.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: Guide to Packet Difficulty

Post by AKKOLADE »

Since I'm making the rounds giving daps this morning, I really like this idea from Ted. I definitely think more information would be useful, but this is a great starting point. We should figure out a community way to get more data together for this; I can help out some with the high school sets, but obviously aPPB adjustments only go so far.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Firstly, I think the first step is to integrate the guide to quizbowlpackets.com or move it to a website like HSQBRank where more people would more easily find and access it; information isn't terribly useful if people can't/don't find it.
Dr. Loki Skylizard, Thoracic Surgeon wrote:We should figure out a community way to get more data together for this; I can help out some with the high school sets, but obviously aPPB adjustments only go so far.
I think using aPPBs would prove very helpful for this task.

As for "a community way to get more data": of course it shouldn't be just one person determining difficulties, as even experienced members of the community can make human misjudgements. However, I don't think having a purely public/democratic rating system in which everybody can vote is the right way to go either, as anybody can mess up rankings. Any suggestions as to finding a good middle ground?
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

It might be nice, as a future update to quizbowlpackets.com, to add a column next to the list of sets with some estimate of the difficulty for each one; while this might have the unintended effect of discouraging some less-dedicated teams from even clicking on anything labeled Regular or Above, it would have the more-important intended effect of helping less-experienced teams find sets of the difficulty they're looking for if they aren't familiar with the past 10+ years of tournament announcements.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF