Packetizing and set building software

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Packetizing and set building software

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

UlyssesInvictus in http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=16654&p=292908#p292908 wrote:So I'll probably post in the tech forum soon about this as well, but has the recent slate of efforts to combine qb with tech done anything about packetizing? It seems as if the focus is mainly on tournament handling, but I'm not aware if anyone has considered packet building, since I haven't been part of the google group at all.

I ask because this doesn't actually seem like a very complicated thing to program and I'm considering (for my intro cs final project) making a bit of software that teams can use to build packets without having to go through the annoying manual packetizing process (i.e. by outputting a nice .zip of pdfs/docs). It'd also be built to handle the writing process, so that people can write questions within the program, edit them, assign subjects and other tags, and (among other things) assign criteria for the packetizing process. The inspiration is the old TJQB website's tournament builder, though it was more of a database than a packetizer.

I'm not very familiar with web programming and security, so my first instinct is to make this an offline tool, but obviously that limits collaboration to google docs. I'll probably do this in python if offline or php if online. If anyone is currently working on something similar or has experience with the challenges of a project like this, please let me know. Since I am planning to do this as a school assignment, I probably can't collaborate, but (if I do do this) once I'm finished with a rudimentary package I'll upload it to github.
What the above says. As noted in that thread as well, I don't think HSAPQ and NAQT's systems count, unless they decide to release their systems to the general public.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: Packetizing and set building software

Post by Cody »

The ultimate intent of QEMS2 is that it will be available for the general public.

So, yes.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Re: Packetizing and set building software

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Cody wrote:The ultimate intent of QEMS2 is that it will be available for the general public.

So, yes.
Yup, Ashvin already pointed me to the github. Thanks for letting me know; I guess this will turn into a vanity project, then, or maybe something people can play with before QEMS2 is released.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM